Stumped!! My PowerMac will not boot MorphOS?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    First Here are the specs:

2002 Quicksilver Power Mac
    800mhz Dual G4
    1.5GB ram
    Superdrive (set as master)
    80GB harddrive (Set as slave)
    ATI Radeon 9000 64MB AGP
    22" Apple Cinema display hooked to the ADC port
    Currently has OSX Leapord 10.5.8 installed.
    (Tricked to bypass the 877mhz requirment)

The problem is everytime I try and boot off the the MorphOS CD holding down the "C" key I get this error on the Quark/Open firmware screen:

Default Catch! Code=900 at SRR0: 004003c0 SRR1: 00083030

Next I tried booting and holding down the "alt" key for the startup disc. It comes up with a MacOSX harddrive icon and a CD icon with the MorphOS butterfly icon.
    I choose the MorphOS Icon and it comes back with the same error message.

Next I tried burning the MorphOS ISO at different burn speeds. Three CD's later same error message.
    I then re downloaded the ISO and burned a few more CD's with the same result.

Next I tried switching out the video card to a ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card that I flashed. This time I hooked a standard Dell monitor up to the DVI port.
    Same error message.

Next I downloaded a Ubuntu PPC 10.4 ISO and burned it to disk. Put it in the machine held down the "C" key and it boot right up
    into the Ubuntu live CD.

I'm officially out of ideas here!!

The only other thing I can think of is that the Date/Time on the machine seems to be stuck on January 1904?. I've tried changing it in Leopard but it goes right back. Would that make any difference?
    17" Powerbook. MorphOS registered
    Hear my music here: Gordon Gallant
    And here: Kattalax
  • »28.10.10 - 13:21
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    So the battery that maintain your system's clock is dead?
    I wouldnt want to have it set date and time each time I booted.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »28.10.10 - 13:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I tried switching out the video card to a ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card that
    > I flashed. [...] Same error message. [...] I'm officially out of ideas here!!

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7481&forum=11&post_id=78184#78184
  • »28.10.10 - 15:26
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    I'm guessing that your saying that the 7450/1 cpu thing is my problem?

If so I'll have to wait for 2.6.1. ;)

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I tried switching out the video card to a ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card that
    > I flashed. [...] Same error message. [...] I'm officially out of ideas here!!

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7481&forum=11&post_id=78184#78184
  • »28.10.10 - 15:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > your saying that the 7450/1 cpu thing is my problem?

At least according to what Ruud and guruman wrote in that thread, yes.
  • »28.10.10 - 15:41
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    The only temporary workaround for that 7450 CPU problem - as odd as it sounds - is to use a graphics card that isn't supported by the console (and causes initial console failed output), like Rage128Pro or Radeon7500.
  • »28.10.10 - 17:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Thanks for offering a workaround but, I'll just play with Ubuntu on it for now until you guys put out an update. Looking forward to it though!

Thanks!

Quote:

pega-1 wrote:
    The only temporary workaround for that 7450 CPU problem - as odd as it sounds - is to use a graphics card that isn't supported by the console (and causes initial console failed output), like Rage128Pro or Radeon7500.

• »28.10.10 - 17:39
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Not to be dense, but couldn't you just swap the CPU card for something with a 7455?
  • »28.10.10 - 20:52
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    The CPU upgrades are pretty expensive. I'll just wait and see if they decide to fix this issue. I'm in no hurry.

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Not to be dense, but couldn't you just swap the CPU card for something with a 7455?
  • »29.10.10 - 12:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I bought a Quiksilver 2002 1Ghz DP for 70? to swap the cpucard with my 800Mhz and I probably kan resell the Quiksilver 800Mhz for 50?. And there were also 2x 512MB Dimms in it. So A nice upgrade for 20? ;-).
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »29.10.10 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I bought a 800MHz PowerMac for 40 euros. Boots MorphOS successfully for me, guess I was just lucky :-)

(although of course I much rather run it on my Pegasos 2, or my 60 euros 1.25GHz PowerMac)
  • »29.10.10 - 15:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I bought a 800MHz PowerMac for 40 euros. Boots MorphOS successfully for
    > me, guess I was just lucky

There're also stock 800MHz G4 PowerMacs with MPC7455 (Quicksilver 2002). So I guess you have one of those. While Spihunter's MPC7450 based Quicksilver may be from 2002 it's not a Quicksilver 2002 model but a predecessor.
  • »29.10.10 - 16:35
    Simon
    As far as I know only the Quiksilver 2002 has a single 800Mhz CPUboard. I have one of those and it sureley has 7451 ( and a radeon 7500 ) in it.

Os if Spihunter has a non-2002 Quiksilver with 800Mhz it's either a dualprocessor, overclocked 733Mhz, or a non-2002 with a cpuboard from a Quiksilver 2002.

Want I think is very strange, is that it also doesn not work with the Radeon 7000 and that he also everytime has te set his clock. I had an empty battery also, but I never had to reset my clock unless I unplugged the powercable.

• »29.10.10 - 19:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As far as I know only the Quiksilver 2002 has a single 800Mhz CPUboard.

Yes, that's the one I meant.

> I have one of those and it sureley has 7451

According to that site there are models of the 800 MHz Quicksilver 2002 with 7455 as well as models with 7450 (7451?) So it seems you have the latter while Jupp3 has the former (or he has the latter as well and like you a graphics card that works around the bug).

> if Spihunter has a non-2002 Quiksilver with 800Mhz it's either a dualprocessor

Yes, to quote him from his opening message: "800mhz Dual G4"
  • »29.10.10 - 19:49
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Yea, the clock thing is very strange. I need to investigate that further.

It's a dual 800mhz G4. I wasn't sure if it was a 2002 quicksilver or not. It was just a guess.

Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    As far as I know only the Quiksilver 2002 has a single 800Mhz CPUboard. I have one of those and it sureley has 7451 ( and a radeon 7500 ) in it.

Os if Spihunter has a non-2002 Quiksilver with 800Mhz it's either a dualprocessor, overclocked 733Mhz, or a non-2002 with a cpuboard from a Quiksilver 2002.

Want I think is very strange, is that it also doesn not work with the Radeon 7000 and that he also everytime has te set his clock. I had an empty battery also, but I never had to reset my clock unless I unplugged the powercable.
  • »29.10.10 - 20:02
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

pega-1 wrote:

That's odd. While I didn't post it, I exchanged messages with Andfreas about my initial failure to get MorphOS loaded on my Quicksilver which has an overclocked 733Mhz processor running at 933Mhz.

All my attempts at instillation have resulted in a console failed message, including the last one that worked (I'm composing this message on the system right now). I wasn't even aware that the "console failed " message was a problem as everything in my system is supported (as far as I know) including my Radeon 9200 video card.

I just kept swapping in different DVD drives till the boot CD worked.

Now I'm wondering if I was experincing a similar problem and if so how it resolved itself.
  • »29.10.10 - 20:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wasn't even aware that the "console failed " message was a problem

According to pega-1 it's rather part of the workaround than of the problem ;-)

> my Quicksilver which has an overclocked 733Mhz processor [...]
    > everything in my system is supported (as far as I know) including
    > my Radeon 9200 video card.

A PowerMac G4 with MPC7450 and Radeon 9200 running MorphOS wouldn't even be possible as far as I understood what pega-1 said ;-)
  • »29.10.10 - 20:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    This is what I gathered from Peg-1's post. But the "console failed" message, is that normal?
    If you remember I mention it in my PM to you and even when I finally got the system to boot from CD it posted that message.

So, do others routinely see this meesage or is it a part of the boot procees that still allows for continued booting when faced with unsupported hardware. Further, could that hardware in my caser be the unsupported SCSI I've left installed even though the Mac boot shouldn't be looking for it.
  • »29.10.10 - 21:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    When you say "console failed" message are you talking about something similar to the error message in my original post?

I also have an unsupported pci scsi card in mine as well.

Quote:

Jim wrote:
    This is what I gathered from Peg-1's post. But the "console failed" message, is that normal?
    If you remember I mention it in my PM to you and even when I finally got the system to boot from CD it posted that message.

So, do others routinely see this meesage or is it a part of the boot procees that still allows for continued booting when faced with unsupported hardware. Further, could that hardware in my caser be the unsupported SCSI I've left installed even though the Mac boot shouldn't be looking for it.
  • »29.10.10 - 21:56
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    No, I don't get anything like the message you got:

Default Catch! Code=900 at SRR0: 004003c0 SRR1: 00083030

Literally as part of the CD boot process I was getting a message that contained "console failed".

However, it still looks like my problem was related to the DVD drives I was trying to boot.

I still have a Symbios SCSI controller in the computer.

The more I look at it the more your problem does look like the CPU card.

BTW - On your note that changing the CPU card would be prohibitively expensive, the "Tiawanese" upgrade I purchased cost only $15.
    Modified 733 CPUs run perfectly fine at 9333 (the overclock well due to their lacl of L3 cache).
    I'm not sure how much difference the cache makes, but at 933Mhz my system performs fine.

If you could find one of these cards, they're cheap. And 867 Mhz cards aren't a whole lot more expensive.
  • »29.10.10 - 23:25
    Simon
    did you try to reset the motherboard with that little button next to the clock battery?

I had some problems today with reinstalling MorhpOS, it always hanged during installation. I burned the ISO on three different CDRs, swapped hardrives and dvdrom ... nothing helped untill I pushed that button. I am not sure what was wrong and I also do not know what it did besides resetting Openfirmware... but it helped.

• »30.10.10 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    I tried the reset button next to the battery and it fixed my clock problem!. Keeps time right now!. It still won't boot MorphOS though. I do get the message "Console active" before my error message. That's with both my Radeon 9000 and 7000 so they both must be supported?.

Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    did you try to reset the motherboard with that little button next to the clock battery?

I had some problems today with reinstalling MorhpOS, it always hanged during installation. I burned the ISO on three different CDRs, swapped hardrives and dvdrom ... nothing helped untill I pushed that button. I am not sure what was wrong and I also do not know what it did besides resetting Openfirmware... but it helped.
  • »30.10.10 - 17:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    RSchmidt
    You have a 7450. You can check that in MacOSX if you want.
    The reason the 7450 doesn't work yet correctly in 2.6 is that we assumed it has some cpu register used for the console mode which 7455/7447 have.
    So if the console can't work because the gfxcard isn't supported by its small driver the register isn't used and it might work. No big mystery behind it.
  • »30.10.10 - 18:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    @ RSchmidt:
    That leaves me wonder why I got a "console failed" message during my initial install attempts. The only non-standard parts I have are a re-flashed Sapphire Radeon 9200 and an overclocked 733Mhz processor (running at 933Mhz).
    I don't understand why I initially got the message, or why I couldn't get past this message with two out of three DVD drives (the last one installed)..
    I wouldn't appear to have anything that would trigger the "console failed" message in the first place.
  • »31.10.10 - 17:37
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Spihunter
    Woo Hoo! MorphOS 2.7 fixed my problem!. It's now installed. Gonna play awhile and give impressions later.
  • »04.12.10 - 13:43