amigaos0morphos site...
Topic is Locked
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    patbest
    Hello everyone

Thank you for visit my site which is in beta and tell me the changes I have to do.

http://amigaos0morphos.olympe-network.com/

Thank you for your comments

a +
    Patbest
  • »19.08.10 - 09:57
  • ASiegel
    Not to rain on anybody's parade, especially since it is obviously nice somebody attempts to provide a service to the MorphOS community, but...

If anybody uses artwork from third parties without an explicit or implicit permission, irregardless whether it is done to create a website, wallpapers, icons or whatever, one would at the very least expect the original creators (all of them) to be given proper credit.

While it is usually perfectly fine to modify graphics for your own personal use, your legal (as well as moral) responsibilities change once you start publishing and distributing the results of your modifications to the public.
  • »19.08.10 - 10:49
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    patbest
    In my case the "moral" changes more than the legal, all I use is free of rights and broadcasting on the net and found no distinguishing name creation.
    I do brings my support to the community of blue butterfly.
    The logos are there to remind us what can be found on this site

the pleasure
    Patbest
  • »19.08.10 - 11:16
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

all I use is free of rights and broadcasting on the net and found no distinguishing name creation.

I am afraid you are wrong on various levels.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travail_d%C3%A9riv%C3%A9

"Loeuvre derivee est la propriete de l'auteur qui l'a realisee, sous reserve des droits de l'auteur de loeuvre initiale. Il est donc necessaire d'obtenir l'autorisation de l'auteur de loeuvre initiale..." (French special characters had to be removed.)

France has signed the Convention de Berne that specifies that copyright holders do not need to specify a name (prominently or otherwise) in order to benefit from copyright protection. Au contraire, anybody who wishes to use somebody else's work must investigate whether this work is public domain or may be used freely under certain conditions. If somebody refuses to do so, he risks do something illegal.

Quote:

The logos are there to remind us what can be found on this site

If it was just about a single logo somewhere on a website, I would not have bothered to say anything at all. I had hoped you yourself would be able to remember where you took artwork from and what you actually created yourself from scratch that can be seen and / or downloaded from your website...
  • »19.08.10 - 16:42
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    patbest
    You're right, I close this site and would provide more for me

I'll have a lot less work to contribute to the community of Morphosis.
  • »19.08.10 - 17:06
  • ASiegel
    If being asked to list/credit the original creators of artwork you have used is offensive to you, that will probably be for the best.
  • »19.08.10 - 17:35
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Well done, site is gone now :/
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.08.10 - 19:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    pampers, You are using morph logo too !!!!!
    Did You ask the original creators of artwork ?
  • »19.08.10 - 20:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ zukow

Quote:

pampers, You are using morph logo too !!!!!
    Did You ask the original creators of artwork ?

Just for the record, my posts have nothing to do with a single use of a MorphOS butterfly logo. This is about a systematic use of other people's artwork to create and distribute derived works without either asking for permission, which I did not even dare to seriously complain about, and an obviously complete unwillingness to give credit where credit is due, which, frankly, is just mind-boggling to me.
  • »19.08.10 - 20:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Zukow: no, bring hermans in here then.

ASiegel: Patbest was only doing a artwork without getting any money for that.. That wasn't a commercial product.

EDIT: I did a quick 10 seconds research. I choose site iconarchive.com for example, here are two examples of a licence terms:

Quote:

You may use the icons from Aha-Soft in commercial and
    personal design projects, software or Internet products.
    You may display the icons in documentation, help files,
    and advertising materials. You are free to sell and
    distribute your products and projects using purchased
    icons without further royalty fees.

Quote:

These icons are for personal use & non-commercial use, the icons may not be modify or used commercially without my authorization.

[ Edited by pampers on 2010/8/19 22:07 ]
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.08.10 - 21:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ pampers

Quote:

Patbest was only doing a artwork without getting any money for that.

There was a Paypal button on the website before it was taken down. Anyway, this is really besides the point.

Quote:

These icons are for personal use & non-commercial use, the icons may not be modify or used commercially without my authorization.

Right. Please note the highlighted part...
    "These icons are for personal use & non-commercial use, the icons may not be modify or used commercially without my authorization."

Quote:

I did a quick 10 seconds research. I choose site iconarchive.com for example, here are two examples of a licence terms

You just proved how easy it is to find artwork with a free license if somebody bothers to look for it. That is the whole point... That said, even icons that may be freely modified often require a proper credit to be included (as well as the original licensing terms, of course).
  • »19.08.10 - 21:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    ASiegel: yeah, commercially. On the other site i didn't know about paypal button.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.08.10 - 22:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ pampers

Quote:

yeah, commercially.

You might want to read the licensing terms again. They prohibit to modify the icons and any and all commercial uses (which may or may not involve modifications).

You are only permitted to use the icons as-is (in software, on websites or print materials, for example).
  • »19.08.10 - 22:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Anyway the site is gone. Hopefully Patbest will still contribute with his work to our community.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.08.10 - 22:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    patbest
    @A Siegel :evil:
    - If being asked to list/credit the original creators of artwork you have used is offensive to you, that will probably be for the best.

FALSE :idea:
    Where are the rights that allow the use of apps in MorphOS or UAE?

It is the hospital that mocks the infirmary.
    I never had anyone who have criticized me for using part of their creation
    Since 25 years I contribute gracefully in my way to make advance the Amiga.
    It's always those who do nothing a who arrive nothing ...

Sorry for my bad english

My site will reopen soon with only my accomplishments. :-D

GOOD SAVE ... MORPHOS

Best regards
    Patbest :-P ;-)
  • »20.08.10 - 04:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Don't get angry. I don't think ASiegel was trying to censor your site, or anything like that... he was just pointing some trouble you might encounter in the future, if someone reclaimed their rights...
  • »20.08.10 - 06:49
  • ASiegel
    @ patbest

Quote:

Where are the rights that allow the use of apps in MorphOS or UAE?

I am afraid you are comparing oranges and apples.

"UAE" and "MorphOS" do not redistribute Amiga applications without permission of their owners nor do "UAE" and "MorphOS" distribute modified versions of any Amiga applications.

Quote:

I never had anyone who have criticized me for using part of their creation

Well, now you have. The criticism is specifically about providing no list of credits / sources.

(If you write an academic paper, you are required to identify any parts that were taken from other publications and provide a complete list of sources. If you do not do that, you are guilty of plagiarism.)

Quote:

I will be genuinely looking forward to see it.
  • »20.08.10 - 07:18
    hooligan
    Quote:

patbest wrote:

thats the spirit
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »20.08.10 - 08:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @patbest,

There are many MorphOS users that have complimented your icon work and appreciate what you are doing to create such icon sets. If anyone were to take your work without your permission, modify it and then offer to sell it, or ask for donations from anyone who likes the work and wants to use it for themselves, I think you would be angry at such persons stealing your work without asking, or at least giving credit to you for your work as the base graphic design which they then modified.

I don't think ASiegel was out of line by asking you to give credit to the original creators of any artwork you might have used in your projects, or to get permission to use their works.

I hope you continue your work and still enjoy doing it.

Regards,
    David
    aka AmigaDave

[ Edited by amigadave on 2010/8/20 2:59 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.08.10 - 09:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Andre is right in his statements of artist/owner copyright. However, it seems lately Jobbo that you have been a little heavy handed and too serious with posting comments to users here. This is probably what led to the ill feelings maybe handle it a little more sensitive and less accusatory?
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »20.08.10 - 21:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ magnetic

Quote:

This is probably what led to the ill feelings maybe handle it a little more sensitive and less accusatory?

Considering somebody took various graphics I created on my own time from scratch, modified them and redistributed the derived works under his own name without any reference to the fact that this is based on the work of others, I think I have been remarkably civil.

Anyway, I consider the issue to be settled.

If you feel I am being insensitive because I recently closed a sales thread of yours due to a clear violation our posting rules for sales ads, you are free to discuss this via PM. This discussion thread is apparently not going in any good direction so it is now locked.
  • »21.08.10 - 09:47
Topic is Locked