Mr Papara and year 2013
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Mr Pascal Papara recently had this to say about MorphOS: "On the Amiga Event in Essen someone told me that even the MorphOS Team said they will stop using PowerPC in 2013. We will see."

This is not true. No such statement has been given. Mr Papara should know better than to speak in behalf of someone else, especially when not quoting the source (which obviously never existed in the first place).

I'd advice everyone to use their common sense when reading such comments from 3rd parties. Especially when the source is "someone", these statement should be taken with a grain of salt.
  • »04.08.10 - 16:22
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Thanks for the official response, Piru. Pascal's statement was troubling, but as it was vague as to its origin, it didn't seem that credible.
    Still, its nice to have reassurance from the development team.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »04.08.10 - 16:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Piru

Thanks for the info! :-)

(But maybe you will have introduced some new architecture as a complement to PPC by then? ;-) (just fishing a little! ;-)))

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2010/8/4 19:25 ]
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »04.08.10 - 17:20
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Perhaps arm9 support for morphOS?

;)
    regards
    eliot
  • »04.08.10 - 18:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @eliot

Perhaps you mean Cortex A9? ;-) Yeah, that would be sweet! :-)

I'd "settle" (would be more than happy! :-)) with support for the Frescale Cortex A8 based i.MX515 though! :-)

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2010/06/ftf-activity.html

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2010/07/google-apps-and-efika-mx.html
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2745/4119853971_be51518611.jpg
    http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2010/07/we-have-present-for-you.html

Near future Freescale i.MX5 evolution
    (upcoming i.MX535 not here yet though)

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2010/8/4 20:39 ]
  • »04.08.10 - 18:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Perhaps arm9 support for morphOS?

That would be much slower than Efika 5200B.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM9
  • »04.08.10 - 18:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Near future Freescale i.MX5 evolution

Not so near future Freescale i.MX evolution (including i.MX6 in 2011):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6428&forum=3&post_id=74160#74160

;-)
  • »04.08.10 - 18:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Near future Freescale i.MX5 evolution

Not so near future Freescale i.MX evolution (including i.MX6 in 2011):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6428&forum=3&start=160#74160

;-)

You know Andreas, you are the human web spider of this site, and very little (if indeed any) info at all slips through your web! :-)

But sometimes I wish you would report your findings in just one link to *the actual info*, not like a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a page with *several* links that is supposed to contain the info you want one to see! ;-)

Nah, I got it eventually, at p.26 indeed, and I must say: HOT-DIGGITY-DAMN, that is some kind of a road map a PPC follower didn't know existed anymore! :-P ;-)

EDIT: And hey! I didn't realize that both the i.MX51 and i.MX53 has a built-in C65!!! :-o :-o :-o

;-)

EDIT: Was p.33 a joke? :-?

[ Edited by takemehomegrandma on 2010/8/4 21:59 ]
  • »04.08.10 - 19:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    RE: The Road Map Document...

MorphOS should have been in p.30!
  • »04.08.10 - 19:54
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    phoenixkonsole
    Hello Piru,
    i'm sorry for this. I just added it without much thinking about because the person told me this in a way it seemed that it was a well known fact(at least in your Forum). I have no name for now but i know that he is often at the meetings from GEIT in Germany. I will try to get the name if you need it. I must admit that i don't know much about what's going on in MorphOS land. I really thought it is official.

I'm sorry. But on the other hand morphos is in talk again : )
    Please excuse this. I will post this also on every AMiga-related news-page i find.
    Sorry.

Best Regards,
    Pascal Papara
    You should know that i always speak positive about MorhOS
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDRcUYHVnw8
    In this Interview i tell that MorphOS is actually the best Amiganoid OS

EDIT: I found him! I found a Foto from 2008 Geit@home. I'm personally not angry. Need no excuse or something.

[ Edited by phoenixkonsole on 2010/8/4 21:33 ]
  • »04.08.10 - 20:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > sometimes I wish you would report your findings in just one link to *the actual info*,
    > not like a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a link to a page
    > with *several* links that is supposed to contain the info you want one to see!

Take it or leave it. Your decision really ;-)

> Was p.33 a joke?

Huh? Why should it? It's essentially the same Freescale Power Architecture roadmap I directly linked to 8 months ago (with the oldest of the 4 documents now being 1 year and 1 month old):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6684&forum=11&post_id=68629#68629

(As you can see, the April 2010 roadmap lacks the step to 22 nm which is shown by these 4 older documents.)

You even answered that posting of mine back then, so I'm quite curious regarding your "joke" note.
  • »04.08.10 - 20:53
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Take it or leave it. Your decision really ;-)

I guess it is! Looks like I took it this time... :-)

Quote:

> Was p.33 a joke?

Huh? Why should it? It's essentially the same Freescale Power Architecture roadmap I linked to 8 months ago (with the oldest of the 4 documents now being 1 year and 1 month old):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6684&forum=11&start=80#68629

(As you can see, the April 2010 document lacks the step to 22 nm which is shown by these 4 older documents.)

You even answered that posting of mine, so I'm quite curious regarding your "joke" note.

Well, you posted a link to some other links which I honestly couldn't bother to wade through, so I have honestly no idea about what you were trying to say.

However, no needs for any links in order to get my point above!

"Is this a joke" was referring to the fact that in the picture in p.33, all the currently available Freescale PPC options in the road map to the left in the picture, simply ended up in some rudimentary "we will do just that and just shrink the core and do it better".

Maybe they will just do that? Who knows? But a three year old could draw a similar diagram.

It's not really serious...
  • »04.08.10 - 21:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > you posted a link to some other links

Not true. Back then I linked all 4 PDF files *directly*, even specifying the exact pages. You then commented on my conclusion of reading them by saying "Which kind of was my point...".

> which I honestly couldn't bother to wade through

I'm quite surprised (in a negative sense) now that you didn't even dare to take a look at the documents I draw my conclusion from. If you did you'd have been aware that this alleged "joke" has been just this for quite some time ;-)

> "Is this a joke" was referring to the fact that in the picture in p.33, all the currently
    > available Freescale PPC options in the road map to the left in the picture, simply
    > ended up in some rudimentary "we will do just that and just shrink the core and
    > do it better".

Yes, information besides die-shrink is really sparse, admittedly. Point taken.

> Maybe they will just do that? Who knows?

Maybe you missed it, but the 45 nm step has already been made with QorIQ P series (P1, P2 and P4 already being available, and both P3 and P5 announced in June for sampling just before the end of this very year). Next step would be the switch to 32 nm with QorIQ T series according to the roadmap, and yes, maybe they will just do that :-)

> It's not really serious...

Seriously, how serious do you take the i.MX roadmap with quad-core at 4+ GHz for 2011? ;-)
  • »04.08.10 - 22:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Yeah...
  • »04.08.10 - 23:15
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Piru wrote:

Mr Pascal Papara recently had this to say about MorphOS: "On the Amiga Event in Essen someone told me that even the MorphOS Team said they will stop using PowerPC in 2013. We will see."

This is not true. No such statement has been given.

Well, actually, no one can say it's true or not. The problem is drawing wild hypothesis just sparked by a "a guy told me someone told him". Fortunately, the fellows here are mature enough not to do so. But consider the "fun" we're missing...

Another very disturbing phrase, even more than the one we're talking about, would be this:

Quote:

Pascal Papara wrote:

AROS in 5 years is 64Bit, could be the base of MorphOS x86.

Another (insert-adjective-of-choice)) speculation to debate on, at wish. In my opinion, that wouldn't be MorphOS. But if it runs MorphOS software, and looks like MorphOS... Both things are technically possible. Chances of actualy happening, well, are dictated by real world circumnstances, as always.

For record's sake, that "statement" from Pascal is in the absolutely great interviev with David Brunet, published by Obliguement magazine just some days ago. I got to know about it thanks to the equally great and longest-standing Amiga-news.de site.
  • »05.08.10 - 08:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mabo
    Amazing!

I have to sell my shitty Mac Mini soon! :-x

I hope this so many people can use Mos with less money and Amigans tooooooo.

Amiga will survive !!! 8-)

Up for x86 Amigans Generations :-D
  • »12.01.11 - 20:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> This is not true. No such statement has been given.

> Up for x86 Amigans Generations :-D

???

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7001&forum=3&post_id=76707#76707
    https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=6918&forum=3&post_id=77273#77273
  • »12.01.11 - 21:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    For me the best future MorphOS hardware is support to the last official IBM cpu, the "z196"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z196_CPU
  • »13.01.11 - 17:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the last official IBM cpu, the "z196"

Hopefully just the latest, not the last ;-)
  • »13.01.11 - 17:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    yes andreas, latest :)
    z196 have a lot of power, much more than xbox 360 + ps3 together :P

Official IBM video from z196
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49qD1Vk3Yf4

[ Editado por _DaNi_ el 2011/1/13 23:37 ]
  • »13.01.11 - 23:30
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > z196 have a lot of power, much more than
    > xbox 360 + ps3 together :P

Yes, probably, but unfortunately z196 doesn't use Power ISA and is as non-obtainable on the free market as both Xenon/XCGPU and Cell ;-)
  • »14.01.11 - 00:54
    Simon
    It's great to see all those NEW "faster-than-what-we-have-now-cpus"... but what's in it for MorphOS ? Do we need custom hardware ? And who is going to put it together for us ?

There is so much easily and cheap obtainable fast hardware, that to my opinion it would make no sense at all to go the custom way.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »15.01.11 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Do we need custom hardware ?

I'd say no. MorphOS Team has said on several occasions that they won't port to 'custom hardware' ever again (presumably if not paid an appropriate sum for the port, that is).

> There is so much easily and cheap obtainable fast hardware

There will be the day when PPC Macs won't draw anyone from the woodwork anymore in terms of performance. In 5 years from now the last PPC Mac will be one decade old. So I think it's justified to think about what could come after PowerMac G5.
  • »15.01.11 - 16:58
    Simon
    I wasn't refering to the (Power)macs... There is easily and cheap obtainable fast NEW hardware to port MorphOS to.

As you say, it doesn't have to happen before 2015 ... but a roadmap involving a new architecture for MorphOS made public wouldn't hurt I think.
    I understand that in our world making such announcements is dangerous because of all the crap that happened, but what is wrong with ambition and having a target?

Tell the people you will finish a port to "xyz" in 2015 and show them every once in a while the progress and do not sell t-shirts in the time being... you have to give people a reason to buy MorphOS now and stay with it.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »15.01.11 - 19:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wasn't refering to the (Power)macs

Ah okay, misunderstanding. My bad.

> you have to give people a reason to buy MorphOS now and stay with it.

I think the best reason for buying MorphOS now is what it has to offer right now, not what it will possibly offer in the future. But you're right that the prospect of staying with MorphOS will probably require some severe decisions by the MorphOS Team at some point in the future.
  • »15.01.11 - 23:54