Hi all,

I'm a MOS/Amiga noob, MACworld non-expert, X86/Unix user and i need some
    explanation to start with MOS.
    I've to purchase a new HW to test MOS 2.5 but:
    - MAC mini & EMAC are discontinued products;
    - Genesi (Efika) products are at the moment all ARM based
    (no opendesktop. PegasosII right?)
    So my (noob) question is: i need to buy used hw to build up my
    first MorphOS/Desktop system? (Ati7000/9250)
    It seems that not even A-Cube Sam440ep-Flex is supported.

Thank you
    MacMini@1.5Ghz 1GB/DualBoot Morphos3.1/DebianPPC - Efika MX sb
    PowerBook 5,9
  • »23.07.10 - 12:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Sam440ep-Flex - nice joke
  • »23.07.10 - 13:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

So my (noob) question is: i need to buy used hw to build up my
    first MorphOS/Desktop system?

If you prefer brand new hardware, Directron, Vesalia and possibly others are still selling Efika 5200B mainboards as well as complete systems based on this particular mainboard.

However, if you require more performance (faster processor, more memory), second-hand Macs or Pegasos systems are a better option.
  • »23.07.10 - 13:28
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Right now, Emacs offer a great value. Generally, they cost less than a Mac Mini and offer a faster processor than a Pegasos.
    While not available yet, future support of Powermacs should make MorphOS more interesting to PC user that are used to being able to assemble their own systems. Whole functioning Powermacs are available from a variety of source (Ebay is probably the lowest cost source) and assembling a Powermac from components is frighteningly easy (as a PC user I must say Apple designed this system to be incredibly easy to service).

For me, its difficult to recommend a system currently. I have an eMac, but if Powermac support is introduced I'll immediately switch to that. I wouldn't recommend an Efika as its memory limitations make running some software difficult or impossible (and it has a slow processor).

Used hardware, for me, has not been a negative. The latest systems to be supported (from Apple) are well made and probably more reliable than alternative low volume PPC motherboards.
    And, except for the Efika, the price of used Apple hardware makes these systems the lowest cost way to run an Amiga like OS.

I think we're all waiting till tomorrow to hear about the MorphOS presentation at Essen. The statement that "They will demonstrate the latest version of MorphOS on various hardware platforms" is very interesting. I don't want to lead to conjecture, the hardware mentioned could be that which is already supported, but for months we've heard of Powerbook and Powermasc ports. Who knows what the developer will demonstrate? They're very tight lipped.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »23.07.10 - 19:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    scrAb_
    Thank you all for the quick tips.
    See what i'll take out.

@zukow: ...sure..i was jokin'
    MacMini@1.5Ghz 1GB/DualBoot Morphos3.1/DebianPPC - Efika MX sb
    PowerBook 5,9
  • »24.07.10 - 09:30
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cha05e90
    Must be some kind of insider joke, then?!?
    II/G4
  • »24.07.10 - 14:47
    Profile Visit Website