MUI illegal instruction
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    I'm getting an illegal instruction when opening a window, and placing the pointer over an icon.
    the window pops up saying ambient thread.......illegal instr. instead of giving me icon info
    snoopium produced same result without opening. the system still functions though
  • »15.07.10 - 02:36
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Er, you mean an ambient icon? :)
    You have a serious issue then. Get the ramdebug log, but also try booting from plain bootcd, because this is absolutely not normal at all.
  • »15.07.10 - 02:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Ok, i had a look at the log you sent me. Several things are weird in your system:
    - First i see a hit in uae_rcli. Any reason why you run this program in MorphOS itself? It's really meant to run inside UAE emulation.

- Then, about your main issue, it seems related to OS4Emu at some point. So please disable it. It's not really useful at all, anyway.
  • »15.07.10 - 18:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    xyphoid
    files deleted. I'll do an extensive test run after reboot but for now it seem stable after avail flush
    Thanks!
  • »16.07.10 - 00:36
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    tboeckel
    @itix

Quote:

So it means this bug has nothing to do with undo but happens with all setting items in TE. There must be something wrong in TE how it handles prefs change... or we are having a bug in MUI.

Well, you have full access to the source code. Have a look yourself. TE.mcc will reload and apply the complete configuration whenever MUIM_Setup is invoked (Dispatcher.c, InitConfig.c). This usually happens only once or at least only right before the window is (re)opened. If MUI4 implements its real time prefs by flooding the class with MUIM_Cleanup/MUIM_Setup pairs then this is something which was not the case with MUI3 at the time TE.mcc was originally developed and therefore TE.mcc cannot be prepared for such a future feature.

I asked a lot of times already, but so far no MorphOS developer was able to or wanted to tell me how MUI4's real time prefs really works and how it may influence custom classes. MUI3 on AmigaOS3/4 and Zune on AROS don't expose such a issue.

Enlighten me and I will try to do what I can. But without any information I cannot do anything against this MorphOS- and/or MUI4-only bug.
  • »27.07.10 - 11:52
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    It seems you gave the answer yourself, though: the mcc must be prepared to handle Setup/Cleanup.
  • »27.07.10 - 14:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    tboeckel
    @Fab:

Quote:

the mcc must be prepared to handle Setup/Cleanup.

Of course TE.mcc is prepared to handle both methods. But somehow this confuses either MUI4 or MorphOS itself. However, it causes absolutely no problems neither with MUI3 on AmigaOS3 or AmigaOS4 nor with Zune on AROS. But these systems don't use the method pair as excessively as MUI4 does. This might point out an issue in TE.mcc, but then the crash should happen more often than it does right now.
  • »27.07.10 - 15:30