Java on MorphOS possible?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    is a simple question can be updated in a future the standard java application to morphos? Java will be available in the next update of OS4... and MorphOS?
  • »09.06.10 - 02:17
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    That's very unlikely, because Java is just not useful for a desktop operating system, and would require way too much work for so little to gain.

But anyway, Java in next update of OS4, where did you read that exactly? :)
    If you refer to Jamiga, better don't hold your breath too much, the project hasn't evolved for years (the recent change to build it for OS4 doesn't count as an evolution), and it was far from being usable for any real world java application.

[ Edited by Fab on 2010/6/9 4:25 ]
  • »09.06.10 - 03:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Java for MorphOS is technically possible. We (the MorphOS Team) won't be providing it however.

If someone wants to port Java, sure go ahead.

In my personal opinion it's a waste of time however.
  • »09.06.10 - 05:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Java will be available in the next update of OS4

Along with full memory protection and auto-expanding stack? ;-)
  • »09.06.10 - 06:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    ... and mesa
  • »09.06.10 - 07:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Java will not easy to port.
    But what about a QT4
    (thought about, since gcc 4.x is available in morphOs sdk,)?

Ok some libs like cairo are still missing, ...

[ Edited by eliot on 2010/6/9 9:34 ]
    regards
    eliot
  • »09.06.10 - 08:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Ok some libs like cairo are still missing, ...

Cairo is not exactly "missing" - Sure, not available as separate library, but f.ex. OWB uses it.
  • »09.06.10 - 11:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    i say this becouse java is very expansive with a lot of good stuff and programs, my favorite is mucommander :)
  • »09.06.10 - 11:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Java will be available in the next update of OS4

I don't think so. Steven "ssolie" Solie clarified long since that his AmiWest 2009 statement had been misleading in this regard (and some other regards). But it's typical: many read the original announcement while only few read its correction/clarification ;-)
  • »09.06.10 - 11:51
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Java in next update of OS4, where did you read that exactly?

I think he refers to Ssolie's misleading AmiWest 2009 announcements.
  • »09.06.10 - 11:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    There is JAmiga project but it is quite limited. But it compiles directly for MorphOS if anyone is interested.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »09.06.10 - 12:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    well, is very interesting, jamiga is limited but i think, there is always a beginning and luckily, the community is in constant morphos development. Limited java on morphos is great, step by step :)
  • »09.06.10 - 13:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    itix and piru:

http://code.google.com/p/jamiga2
  • »09.06.10 - 13:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    What can JAmiga2 do? Is it only a Java language interpreter/compiler, with almost no classes?
  • »09.06.10 - 16:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    This new Jamiga2 0.0.6 version have classes in the download area and is updated all recently (classes and java)

The morphos port have 5 years old
    Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 1.4.1 implementation for MorphOS:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jamiga/files/jamiga/pre-alpha%200.0.5/JAmiga0.0.5-MOS.iso.gz/download

[ Editado por _DaNi_ el 2010/6/9 17:35 ]
  • »09.06.10 - 16:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    5 years later it's still equally unusable.
  • »09.06.10 - 21:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    I never test nothing on amiga or morphos using jamiga but if you say is not unusable bad notice
    Thanks for all information people
  • »09.06.10 - 21:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    I noticed that. I can compile it for you when I get back to home.

I compiled JAmiga for MorphOS many years ago and I ran some Java demos on it.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »10.06.10 - 09:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _DaNi_
    Great! send me i can test it efika2k5@gmail.com, if you like i can send you the last uae4all compiled with gcc 4.4.4, now is faster than before, working on it need some more changes like overlay, audio options, etc
    thanks
  • »10.06.10 - 10:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Haha just read this thread thought of something funny. The dev of Jamiga was employed by Genesi for like 3 months when I worked for them. We even gave him a full ODW box to work on it, he was all talk ..... BBRV was even going to finance the development but I forget what the problem was on his end... weird i just recalled this.
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »11.06.10 - 04:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > The dev of Jamiga was employed by Genesi for like 3 months when I worked for them.

Interesting that Peter Werno was once a Genesi employee. I didn't know that.
    I guess that attempt was after Allan Havemose and subsequently Richard Lipes failed in porting Blackdown Java to MorphOS for Thendic-France/Genesi.

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=451&forum=3#3346 (posting has a link to Havemose's website http://www.aminox.com/clients.html )
    http://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=java-linux@java.blackdown.org&q=from:havemose
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/java-linux/msearch?AM=contains&AT=havemose

> BBRV was even going to finance the development

I think that's what employing a developer for a certain development means ;-)
  • »11.06.10 - 11:08
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    I do believe I was quite clear that Hyperion still considered Java a priority but nothing more than that. There was a list of specific goals Hyperion wanted to achieve and Java was one of them. The problem was that some in the community took this to mean Java is coming soon and so on. I tried to clarify things later in the web forums but some just didn't want to hear it.

I was representing Hyperion at AmiWest and I was reading my notes from Hyperion. I haven't done any Hyperion rep'ing before or since.

I hope this year somebody from Hyperion will show up to AmiWest. Would be nice to have an official MorphOS person as well. AmigaDave did a great job promoting MorphOS at the show but I think it would be even better to have some official MorphOS representation.
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »13.06.10 - 04:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I do believe I was quite clear that Hyperion still considered Java a priority but
    > nothing more than that. There was a list of specific goals Hyperion wanted to
    > achieve and Java was one of them. The problem was that some in the community
    > took this to mean Java is coming soon and so on. [...] I was representing Hyperion
    > at AmiWest and I was reading my notes from Hyperion.

I just listened to your exact words from AmiWest 2009 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWUe-jcyP9I again and at about 0:40 you're stating that you think the announced improvements to be planned coming with OS4.2 and beyond. While you were hedging quite a bit using "I think" and "and beyond" it's obvious that you better shouldn't have mentioned any version/revision number at all, because it wasn't fully clear to differenciate between you speaking for Hyperion and you speaking for your humble self, considering you acted as an official Hyperion representative during your speech.

> I tried to clarify things later in the web forums but some just didn't want to hear it.

Yes, that's exactly what I wrote.

> I hope this year somebody from Hyperion will show up to AmiWest.

There were times when Hyperion had their own US representative in the person of James "fntc" Sellman. I don't know if he ever represented Hyperion at AmiWest, though.*

> Would be nice to have an official MorphOS person as well.

Since all members of the MorphOS Team are located in Europe I think that won't happen.

*Edit: Seems he did:
    https://morph.zone/modules/news/article_storyid_132.html

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 08.11.2013 - 22:24 ]
  • »13.06.10 - 11:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Since all members of the MorphOS Team are located in Europe I think that won't happen.

I'd love to visit some US show at some point, but there's no way I'd be wasting time trying to get a US visa...
  • »13.06.10 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    'There were times when Hyperion had their own US representative in the person of James "fntc" Sellman. I don't know if he ever represented Hyperion at AmiWest, though.'

Anyone know what he's up to these days? I lost track of him years ago, but he was a cool guy. He came out to California once to help get an Amiga 4000T set up for Activision to use in testing the Hyperion port of HereticII. I still have the beta CDs that I was given to test with my 3000T/Cyberstorm combo. Jim and our adventures at Activision were a highlight of my time in California.

Good times!
  • »14.06.10 - 03:55
    Profile Visit Website