Lua on MorphOS?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    insurgent
    Did a quick search on the topic which did not result in anything definitive. So, is Lua available for MorphOS like it is for AROS? Are there Lua bindings for MUI?

Is anyone here doing any development in Lua or Python?
    Registered MOS 2.7 + Pack Ultimate 1.6.2 running on:
    Power Mac G4 FW800 1.42GHz 2GB / Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB / SB Live! / NEC USB 2.0 / SuperDrive
    Mac Mini G4 1.5GHz 1GB / 64MB VRAM / SuperDrive
    Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP 1920x1200
    PowerBook G4 ready :-)
  • »02.06.10 - 12:00
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    LUA straightcompiles, and is used in several ports. Regarding MUI bindings, noone saw the point in doing it so far, so no.
  • »02.06.10 - 12:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've done some work to make Lua well integrated with MorphOS, but I won't reveal any details until I have an usable version.
  • »02.06.10 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    Hollywood is based on LUA...

click
  • »02.06.10 - 14:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Searching for "Lua" string on the linked page gives zero results ;-).
  • »02.06.10 - 17:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    polluks
    You have searched the Aminet..?
    http://aminet.net/package/dev/lang/lua-mos

[ Editiert durch polluks an 2010/6/3 3:25 ]
    Pegasos II G4: MorphOS 3.9, Zalman M220W · iMac G5 12,1 17", MorphOS 3.18
    Power Mac G3: OSX 10.3 · PowerBook 5,8: OSX 10.5, MorphOS 3.18
  • »03.06.10 - 00:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GMKai
    @Krashan:

True, but the included and translated guide holds information about that.

It is mentioned in the "About-Requester".

Maybe a screenshot would help ;-)

Hollywood-About
  • »03.06.10 - 12:00
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    UPDATE: download link has been broken, fixed now.

A new version is released, "dirty preview" now can be named "early beta". What's changed?

- lua.library has got internal 'package' module. It can load Lua modules as well as binary modules. Standard Lua port has no support for dynamically loaded binary modules, as this feature is available for unixlike systems (via *.so) and Windows (via *.dll). I've implemented a MorphOS specific dynamic loader, which uses MorphOS shared libraries for binary modules. An example source code for a binary Lua module will be available soon.

- lua.library API has been extended with some helper functions useful in binary modules, related to argument checking and error reporting. These functions come from 'lauxlib.c' in the Lua source.

- as the first binary module, 'string' standard module has been released. It is usually built-in in a typical Lua port. I've decided to implement all standard Lua modules as dynamically loaded ones. The 'string' module contains a set of useful functions for string manipulation, parsing, formatting etc.

- Autodocs for lua.library and string.module. Not 100% complete, but started anyway ;-).

- A slightly improved Lua Explorador, it shows the string length in variable view lists. When showing string contents, LuaExplorador replaces non-printable characters with dots and shortens automatically strings longer than 64 characters, to not clutter the list display.

HOW TO INSTALL

- Copy the contents of Libs/ to Libs: (so the string.module resides in Libs:Lua/).
    - Copy autodocs where you want.
    - Copy Lua Explorador directory where you want.

NOTE: The 'string' module is not autoloaded at the start of interpreter. You have to use "require 'string'" at the start of your script to use the module functions.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/12/14 15:16 ]
  • »14.12.10 - 08:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Ok, so here is another "dirty preview" of my Lua port. What's new?
    - Lua Explorador has a nice icon ;-).
    - lua.library has got most of functions from auxiliary C API (chapter 4 of the Lua Reference Manual) added.
    - base.module implemented as a shared library. Complete autodocs.
    - finished autodocs for string.module.
    - LuaX - simple shell/ambient Lua script launcher with basic error reporting.

The next step will be io.module so one can finally run demo scripts from the standard distribution ;-).

Archive download.
  • »25.12.10 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Working on Christmas Day! Either someone who does not celebrate that day (perfectly understandable, as only a percentage of the population participate in this crazy yearly ritual), or a very dedicated programmer (who probably does not have any small children, or a wife/girlfriend, to spend the day with).

Nice to see progress on this work. Hope you had a great day, even if you don't celebrate Christmas.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »26.12.10 - 21:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Either someone who does not celebrate that day

Depends on definition of celebration. We (I mean my family) used to celebrate the Christmas Eve more, and this celebration is pretty traditional. I mean the Eve Supper (not with 12 dishes however, but some of them), Christmas tree, gifts, singing carols etc.

The Christmas Day (and the day after, being a holiday in Poland) is another story. I'm not religiuos, so I don't go to a church. I also do not like a "typical" way of spending this day, which is meeting family, eating, drinking some alcohol and watching stupid shows on TV. How boring. Why not write some code instead? ;-)

who probably does not have any small children, or a wife/girlfriend

Missed ;-). I have a wife and two children (5 and 3 years old).
  • »27.12.10 - 06:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Krashan wrote:

I have a wife and two children (5 and 3 years old).

Which, if interested in computing, will have the best possible teacher. Brilliant job Krashan!
  • »27.12.10 - 09:00
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @Krashan,

I hope you know that my comments about having kids & a wife were made in jest and not meant to offend in any way. I applaud you for working on MorphOS related code on Christmas Day.

When I was married and my children were 3 & 5 my wife would have been very upset with me if I even looked at a computer on that day.
  • »27.12.10 - 15:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I hope you know that my comments about having kids & a wife were made in jest and not meant to offend in any way.

I by no means feel offended. I'm happy that I do not fit into a category of typical computer nerd :-).

My wife has her own computer and uses it very frequently. And how it is possible she's not upset by my hobby? It's simple - I always buy her better hardware than mine. Currently she owns a moderate class PC box with 20" panoramic Samsung LCD display, and a laser printer. Compare it with my $80 500 MHz PowerMac and my 7 years old (t)rusty 15" LCD panel ;-).
  • »27.12.10 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Not only a good programmer and writer of tutorials for us beginning programmers, but a wise man as well!
  • »28.12.10 - 05:24