New SAM460EX
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > As far as I have read, it can also boot from PFS if inserted in RDB

Yes, if you mean the MorphOS system partition, not the boot partition with the boot.img file. But this only works on Pegasos and Efika 5200B (and Sam460 in future I guess) as the Mac OpenFirmware doesn't know RDB.

> I would like to have Xenos Linux too

Linux for the Sam460 is done by Spectre660, not by xeno74.
  • »15.08.14 - 08:08
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> those systems (Acube,AEON) will go on sale madatory with OS4

>> Also for ACube's industrial customers? ;-)

> To be honest, never heard of

"We sell boards also outside the Amiga market even if Amigans are the most of our customers."
    http://www.retroplanet.gr/content/interview-acube-srl-%CF%83%CF%85%CE%BD%CE%AD%CE%BD%CF%84%CE%B5%CF%85%CE%BE%CE%B7-acube-srl
  • »19.09.14 - 15:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I would like to see A-eon drop the X3500

"The X3500 lives in silicon but we only have a few units for internal testing."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39529&forum=33#744691
  • »09.11.14 - 22:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Yes, if you mean the MorphOS system partition, not the boot partition with the boot.img file. But this only works on Pegasos and Efika 5200B (and Sam460 in future I guess) as the Mac OpenFirmware doesn't know RDB.

PFS3 has been included in the boot.img since several MorphOS versions, now. Thus PFS3 will also works for Macs. Naturally the boot.img partition must be HFS still.
  • »09.11.14 - 23:02
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> this only works on Pegasos and Efika 5200B (and Sam460 in future I guess) as the
    >> Mac OpenFirmware doesn't know RDB.

> PFS3 has been included in the boot.img since several MorphOS versions, now. Thus PFS3
    > will also works for Macs.

Ah yes, thanks for the correction. I missed (or forgot?) that somehow.
  • »10.11.14 - 00:19
  • vox
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I would like to see A-eon drop the X3500

"The X3500 lives in silicon but we only have a few units for internal testing."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39529&forum=33#744691

If I understood the AEON development line well, its a bit stange they go for high end dual/quad core model since AOS supports no SMP at all ... I suppose since they might be developed around similar board, that miking will start with high end board. Acubes policy of at least reducing costs a bit sounds more reasonable.

Its even mentioned X5000 might be launched with OS 4.1 Final, with same future license of OS 4.2, so one more beta ... MorphOS policy of going for fully supported board (like SAM460ex/cr and all past models) is way more reasonable and less harassing to the users. People still have to use two Ethernet cards and even two graphic cards to make best of use of Linux and AmigaOS 4 on X1000 ... and even two sound cards in early days.

X3500
    P3040 Dual Core 1.5Ghz
    Unknown release date
    £1,400+

X5000/20
    P5020 Dual Core 2.0Ghz
    4Q 2014 possibly
    £1,600+

X3500/40
    P5040 Quad Core 2.4Ghz
    Unknown release date
    £2,000+
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »10.11.14 - 00:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > its a bit stange they go for high end dual/quad core model since AOS supports no SMP at all

Multiprocessing has been announced for future OS4 versions, so I don't find building the base with proper hardware strange at all.

> they might be developed around similar board

It's said to be the very same board for all 3 variants.

> miking will start with high end board.

I'm not sure what "miking" means, but the X5000 is to debut with the mid-level variant (X5000/20 with P5020).

> Its even mentioned X5000 might be launched with OS 4.1 Final

Yes, OS4.1 FE is said to be imminent, while OS4.2 isn't any close according to ssolie.

> so one more beta

Which beta?

> MorphOS policy of going for fully supported board (like SAM460ex/cr and all past models)

I doubt that the Sam460ex will be fully supported by MorphOS*. And there're still unsupported components on PPC Macs, like Bluetooth.

> People still have to use two Ethernet cards [...] to make best of use of Linux and
    > AmigaOS 4 on X1000

Only 1 card. The other Ethernet controller is inside the PA6T chip.

> and even two sound cards in early days.

Only 1 card. The other audio functionality is on-board.

> P3040 Dual Core

It's P3041 quad-core (hence the '4'). There is no P3040.

> X3500/40

X5000/40.

* Edit: seems I was wrong.

[ Edited by Andreas_Wolf 05.04.2015 - 18:21 ]
  • »10.11.14 - 01:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

AMIGA one X5000

LOL, I can't believe they persist in doing this, it's so laughable! :lol:

Here is my suggestion of a boot image for MorphOS on Sam460 "AmigaOne 500" systems in the same spirit as AeonKit (click for original size):

:-)

(Note: This picture was a mock-up done by me for fun as some kind of response to this, and the MorphOS team of course had nothing to do with it! ;-))
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »06.04.15 - 10:35
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Addendum:

> Trevor seems to increasingly sneak in spellings like "AMIGAone" and "AMIGA one"
    > to the detriment of traditional "AmigaOne" or "AmigaONE".

"AmigaONE X1000 and AMIGA one X5000"
    http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/?p=7301

But then:

"Machine Type: AmigaOne X5000"
    http://blog.a-eon.biz/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/X5000_grab.jpg

Seems they can't make their mind up.

Well, Hyperion (and Amigakit/Aeon as a sub-licensee) does not have a license to use the "Amiga" mark. What they can call their products are detailed in the contract agreement with Amiga Inc, and "Amiga" isn't there, so they are not allowed to use this mark.

"They" are probably two different people, one is the programmer who based it on what Hyperion actually are allowed to use (which are also the names accepted and commonly used by the public)...

...while the other one is Trevor who has obviously been busy figuring out new ways to parasite upon the "Amiga" mark they have no right to use ever since he wanted to call his new computer "A5000" back in 2013!

;-)
  • »07.04.15 - 14:36
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Seems they can't make their mind up.

Well, Hyperion (and Amigakit/Aeon as a sub-licensee) does not have a license to use the "Amiga" mark. What they can call their products are detailed in the contract agreement with Amiga Inc, and "Amiga" isn't there, so they are not allowed to use this mark.;-)

Its AmigaOne and will always be, while I do remember it as name given to PPC line and surely AEON/Acube gives it at better name then Mai Logic and Amiga Inc did.I suppose Acube and AEOn have some contract on licensing the AmigaOne name.

Surely you can view Amiga One as name abuse, but that is not that much incorrect - still is A1, and not Amiga 500,2000 etc. like e.g. CommodoreUSA was about to name their "products" (before they decide to go for Mini).

At least joined Acube and MorphOS team effort will result in AmigaOne (500) being MorphOS supported platform soon :-)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AmigaOne#Operating_systems

[ Edited by vox 07.04.2015 - 16:29 ]
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »07.04.15 - 16:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    @takemehomegrandma

Are you not tired of constant antiOS4 and anti A-Eon campaign? Do you think that this kind of behaviour will bring us more users? How does it help MorphOS?

It's not that I do like Hyperion and anything related to them but I find those "wars" less funny day by day. Just saying..
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »07.04.15 - 16:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > surely AEON/Acube gives it at better name then Mai Logic and Amiga Inc did.

The counterpart of A-Eon and ACube would be Eyetech. Mai Logic's role would be more like Varisys'.

> I suppose Acube and AEOn have some contract on licensing the AmigaOne name.

Yes, they have licensed the name from Hyperion.

> Its AmigaOne and will always be [...]. Surely you can view Amiga One
    > as name abuse, but that is not that much incorrect

With the X5000 (as opposed to the X1000), A-Eon is promoting the "AMIGA one" spelling, not "Amiga One".
  • »07.04.15 - 17:06
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

The counterpart of A-Eon and ACube would be Eyetech. Mai Logic's role would be more like Varisys'.

> Its AmigaOne and will always be [...]. Surely you can view Amiga One as name abuse,
    > but that is not that much incorrect

With the X5000 (as opposed to the X1000), A-Eon is promoting the "AMIGA one" spelling, not "Amiga One".

As usually, thanks for the corrections, but I hope that messages are understandable. It could be amiga one or AMIGA ONE, that all variates of the same name :-)

Radeon HD4000 support would be great (if not initial, soon) because its default graphic card with SAM460ex/A1-500, with full 3D support.

I understand most of MorphOS users see it as expensive board of no interest (since one can easily obtain PPC Mac) but potential is:

- firstly in current SAM users (Amigamap.com lists 14 A1-500 and 135 SAM4xx boards).

- as well is in offer of system with MorphOS on Acube website (if can be arranged), or if not on some independent stores

- SAM460ex benefits as developmental bridge to PCI-E (sound, gfx, SATA ...) cards, compared to cumbestone and rarer G5 Macs. Lastly, SAM460 port could easily bring SAM440 port as it is quite similar.

- I don`t know future Acube plans, but one more generation off IBM/AMCC 4xx chips exists http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_400#PowerPC_470
    That might be a nice mid-range MorphOS system

Poor performance: ... It can be usable system - even, it it doesnt have altivec, It seems code SAM460 can be optimized - Acube version has FPU

https://www.google.rs/search?q=amcc+460+optimizations&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=vSIkVdj1D4STyQPpqYD4Dg

Trivia: Its also interesting to see AMCC 460EX developer board can cost much ...
    http://www.embeddeddeveloper.com/tools/962/Applied-Micro-Circuits/EV-460EX-KIT-01.htm
    http://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/appliedmicro/ev-460ex-kit-01-proto#cEne

So Acubes offer doesn`t seem that bad :-)
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
  • »07.04.15 - 20:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > current SAM users (Amigamap.com lists 14 A1-500 and 135 SAM4xx boards).

We don't know how the Sam4xx number is distributed between Sam440 and Sam460, though.

> one more generation off IBM/AMCC 4xx chips exists
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC_400#PowerPC_470

The IBM PPC47x core has nothing to do with Applied Micro (AMCC). Besides, it's even two generations above (not counting the PPC450 core, else it would be three), as the PPC460EX chip has a PPC440 core, not a PPC46x core. Applied Micro offers chips with PPC46x core, but not with PPC47x core.

> Acube version has FPU

Yes, the PPC440 core in the PPC460EX chip has an FPU attached to it. That was a requirement for ACube's selection of this CPU in the first place.
  • »07.04.15 - 22:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:The counterpart of A-Eon and ACube would be Eyetech. Mai Logic's role would be more like Varisys'.

While I understand what you are saying and you aren't wrong, I'd give A-Eonkit much more credit than that. A-Eonkit laid out real money to commission the development of custom boards. Eyetech OTOH took an existing reference board and slapped a boing label on it.
  • »08.04.15 - 00:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    minator
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:The counterpart of A-Eon and ACube would be Eyetech. Mai Logic's role would be more like Varisys'.

While I understand what you are saying and you aren't wrong, I'd give A-Eonkit much more credit than that. A-Eonkit laid out real money to commission the development of custom boards. Eyetech OTOH took an existing reference board and slapped a boing label on it.

Yes. Aeon boards are designed to be sold as a product. OTOH Dev boards don't always work terribly well.

Varisys are competent. Mai logic not so, they wouldn't acknowledge the bugs in their chips when they were pointed out to them.
  • »08.04.15 - 02:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

vox wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> Its AmigaOne and will always be [...]. Surely you can view Amiga One as name abuse,
    > but that is not that much incorrect

As usually, thanks for the corrections, but I hope that messages are understandable. It could be amiga one or AMIGA ONE, that all variates of the same name :-)

- AeonKit first wanted to call it "A5000"

- AeonKit made the boot-screen look like this. The words "Amiga" and "5000" are grouped together, have the same font, style and color, while the word "one" is typed in lower case, 1/4 of the size and in a very dark color and hanging by itself up to the right. The "X" was stylized to be part of a lens flare. It's an obvious effort to make you read "Amiga 5000". See this picture to better understand my point.

- When they write "AMIGA one" it's the same thing. Would it have been possible to make the word "one" even smaller and colored only two notches darker than the white background, they would probably have done that.

Put all this together and you'll start to see the picture. They are in the business of selling computer systems for very much money, and in the process they are very creative in their ways of projecting "this is an Amiga" onto them, since this trade mark (which they don't have any legal right to use) will make it much easier to sell them to people who "want have the most powerful Amiga", and this wouldn't be possible otherwise...

Probably not illegal, though balancing on the verge of trade mark infringement.

It's unethical though, for sure.
  • »22.04.15 - 09:51
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    cha05e90
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma schrieb:
    Probably not illegal, though balancing on the verge of trade mark infringement.
    It's unethical though, for sure.

Maybe the one or the other or both. And you know why. And "they" will do it again and again and...guess what? One day "they" will have the name . Or not. Depends on money, patience and the will to constantly nag. If I were you I would try to live with it.
    II/G4
  • »29.04.15 - 14:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Who really cares?
    I'm putting a boing ball on mine regardless of the name.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »06.05.15 - 15:28
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Update:

> "The X3500 lives in silicon but we only have a few units for internal testing."
    > http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39529&forum=33#744691

"Trevor Dickinson is said to have revealed that the cheapest version of the next AmigaOne generation will not hit the market: The price of the P3041 quadcore based X3500 would have been too close to the other, P5020/P5040 based dualcore and quadcore models."
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2015-06-00068-EN.html
  • »28.06.15 - 20:41
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Both X3500s? Dual and quad core?
    If so, good, the processor was inferior.
  • »29.06.15 - 00:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Both X3500s? Dual and quad core?

There was only quad-core announced. Also, there is no QorIQ P3 processor other than the quad-core P3041. Or what do you mean?
  • »29.06.15 - 00:42
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Both X3500s? Dual and quad core?

There was only quad-core announced. Also, there is no QorIQ P3 processor other than the quad-core P3041. Or what do you meaning ?

Sorry Andeas, I thought I saw a dual core version of the X3500 listed somewhere.
    I have pretty much dismissed anything with a P suffix as dated, so I'm not that familiar with the P3041.
  • »29.06.15 - 01:24
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @Andreas_Wolf

Quote:

"Trevor Dickinson is said to have revealed that the cheapest version of the next AmigaOne generation will not hit the market: The price of the P3041 quadcore based X3500 would have been too close to the other, P5020/P5040 based dualcore and quadcore models."
    http://www.amiga-news.de/en/news/AN-2015-06-00068-EN.html

Surprising to see that *they are actually able* to cancel bad ideas! This is a skill they should practice a lot more often.

@Jim

Quote:

P suffix

...or P prefix...

:-P
  • »29.06.15 - 07:51