Self bounty proposal: UADE2 port as a Reggae class.
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've been asked by a few users of this. For those who don't know what UADE is, it is a stripped down UAE (an Amiga emulator) used only for playing music modules. This approach allows for very high compatibility with hundreds of module formats (old 68k replayers are used directly). Preliminary code review shows that it is possible to encapsulate UADE2 into a Reggae class. It will enable module playback in all programs using Reggae (this includes Ambient and Multiview). An AmiNetRadio plugin can be made as well.

UADE2 is released on double GPL/LGPL licence. It means the source code of resulting Reggae class and ANR plugin will be publicly available.

UPDATE

After reviewing licenses I've found that this is not double GPL/LGPL license. Some (critical) parts of UADE2 are GPL, some are LGPL. For this reason it seems I cannot make a Reggae class out of UADE2. Then the whole proposal is probably invalid.
    [ Edited by Krashan on 2010/3/11 10:20 ]

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/3/11 10:37 ]
  • »11.03.10 - 09:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    If plugin is distributed in source code format then it is not illegal. Distributing precompiled binary could be.

So to some extent proposal is valid.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.03.10 - 09:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    So you mean I should create the class based on UADE source, build it, test and then release the source code only? Then there is an assumption that some user will compile the sources and use the class. It means such user is breaking GPL, isn't it?

Even considering this "source only" distribution, there are some even worse issues. Let's think about commercial sound editor "A", which is able to use Reggae. If some user, who built hypothetical "uade2.demuxer" class, will run "A" and then load a music module to it using "uade2.demuxer", he effectively dynamically links GPL-ed code with commercial code. Who breaks GPL then? I've seen some interpretations, that author of "A" is guilty (!!!), because he technically allows of dynamic linking of GPL code to his closed source application. It may make authors of non-GPL applications to be affraid of using Reggae. LGPL would solve this, but unfotunately essential part of UADE (namely CPU/Paula emulation code) is on plain GPL.

Considering all that I think that the whole proposal is invalid. Someone can always port UADE2 as a standalone tool, which poses no legal problems.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2010/3/11 11:48 ]
  • »11.03.10 - 10:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Then there is an assumption that some user will compile the sources and use the class.

Exactly.

Quote:

It means such user is breaking GPL, isn't it?

User is not breaking GPL if it is for his own use only.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.03.10 - 10:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Have a look at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
    Specially, you should read the "What legal issues come up if I use GPL-incompatible libraries with GPL software?" part.

Reggae being part of the OS, it shall be used by GPL stuff.
  • »11.03.10 - 15:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    OK, so it seems that legal doubts are solved. Then my proposal is still valid.
  • »11.03.10 - 18:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    K, now it seems to be valid:count me in. But this being a (self) bounty, what do you want in return? :)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »11.03.10 - 21:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Who was the genius that brought the first lawyer to the computing world? I guess we all, both users and programmers, should raise a monument to praise such a great enhancement of our lives.

W-T-F-?!?!?!?
  • »12.03.10 - 06:44
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Who was the genius that brought the first lawyer to the computing world?

A licence expresses the genuine wish of the "inventor" of certain code how his code is allowed to be used by others. That's a good thing, IMO. Lawyers may only come into play if such wish is not honoured. Without lawyer the "inventor" would have a hard time enforcing his wish and going after the ones who disregard it.

Regarding GPL, feel free to read http://www.gpl-violations.org :-)
  • »12.03.10 - 09:25
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Kokos
    Hey,

I'm very very interested in port of the latest version of UADE2. I also think we need ANR plugin which will work smoothly. :) So I am one of the people which will give few euros on project. :)

Great news and keep coding!
    K
  • »14.03.10 - 09:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    what do you want in return?

The best thing for me would be a Mac mini. The lowest model, 1.25 GHz with 256 MB RAM and 32 MB VRAM will do.
  • »14.03.10 - 17:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Krashan: WinSCP port for Morphos and I will get you that Mac myself, I'm serious :)
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »14.03.10 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Whatever you do just make sure its legal to the letter. The author is a good friend of mine and trust me on this, he is VERY strict when it comes to GNU licenses ;-)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »15.03.10 - 04:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've decided to just play fair and mailed both the maintainers of UADE with detailed description of the whole plan. If their answer will be negative, the case is closed. Anyone can do a plain, standalone tool port, I'm not interested with doing such a port myself.

In my opinion authors used GPL license for their code with some intentions. It is the best to just ask them if my planned way of using their code is in accordance with their intentions, instead of trying to find some debatable legal line of defence in GPL text.
  • »15.03.10 - 07:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    If you mean Heikki Orsila, I've got a positive reply from him. Then I'm starting the project next week.
  • »15.03.10 - 19:49
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Yes, thats the man. Good, and good luck with the project.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »16.03.10 - 04:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Kokos
    Great news! What's the progress? :) Keep us informed. :)
  • »04.05.10 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I see no point in duplicating functionality, after itix released modplug.library.
  • »04.05.10 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    modplug only plays fraction of the formats supported by UADE, and thus IMHO modplug doesn't duplicate UADE functionality.
  • »05.05.10 - 03:56
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Kokos
    Yeah, and also almost every scener says that modplug sucks, doesn't play many of songs correctly as formats as well.. They say - it's good because no one made something better. Don't give up porting! :(
  • »05.05.10 - 06:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Jason
    Being able to double-click a mod file from ambient to play within ambient with a small player window would be AWESOME. I would be happy to give some money to this bounty if it were to go forward.
  • »05.05.10 - 18:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Kokos
    So.. what's the decision?
  • »10.06.10 - 12:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    @Krashan

Are you still working on the UADE2 port/plugin or did you stop/never started on it? I tried compiling uade2 myself (ehm, read "configure" and "make") but

/RAM/uade-2.13/src/ossupport.c:36: undefined reference to `realpath'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

threw me off (not too suprising since I have absolutely no clue when it comes to coding ;-) )

I hereby challenge everyone to make fun of me and actually compile/port UADE2 (that is, if Krashan isn't interested anymore).
    ---
  • »02.08.10 - 10:20
    Stevo
    *BUMP*

With some help I (err, ok, he) managed to solve the mentioned problem...only to find more like it. Would be nice if the guy who did the previous port (*cough* Piru *cough*) could help out ;-) That is, if Krashan isn't working on it already (can someone give a heads up on that?).
    ---
  • »04.08.10 - 09:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I've decided to not start this project (UADE2 as Reggae class).
  • »05.08.10 - 12:09
    Profile Visit Website