Some Website suggestions
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    Just some suggestions here... No criticisms, BTW, this is a great site, it's clean, fast, very nice. Kudos for setting it up, running it and maintaining it. I just think I have some suggestions for improving it for everybody:

- have "Generate PDF" or "Printable Version" link on the library pages? Sometimes it's nice to be able to print them and read them offline on places where there is no computer

- have another tab button on the top, next to the "LIBRARY", that says "WIKI". That would be a wikipedia service for MorphOS where anyone could contribute to the articles and form a tree of documents. Once the articles reach a nice stable state, they could be moved to the LIBRARY and made read-only. Don't require users to be members of this site to contribute. Allow open access and it will maintain itself

- for each article, have "This applies to MorphOS version X.X" where X.X is the version the article was written to. X.X also could be "All" or "All except N.N", "Since Y.Y", you get the point. It would be also nice to have "Created" and "Last updated" info on each article
  • »23.01.10 - 20:10
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

have "Generate PDF" or "Printable Version" link on the library pages? Sometimes it's nice to be able to print them and read them offline on places where there is no computer

In the left sidebar, there is a "Printable Version" option to be found in the toolbar section.

Quote:

have another tab button on the top, next to the "LIBRARY", that says "WIKI". That would be a wikipedia service for MorphOS where anyone could contribute to the articles and form a tree of documents. Once the articles reach a nice stable state, they could be moved to the LIBRARY and made read-only.

The MorphOS Library has a "Work in Progress" section for articles that are 'unstable' and will likely be heavily changed in the future.

Quote:

Don't require users to be members of this site to contribute. Allow open access and it will maintain itself

It was a carefully chosen decision to go for a members-only approach. If anybody is interested to contribute, I do not think it is too much to ask this person to send a quick email and request for an account to be set up.

With an open wiki, vandalism can in fact be a serious problem. I do not know if you have ever talked to anybody running a community website, but spammers are a common problem. We would rather have community volunteers focus on adding and improving content than to undo undesired changes over and over and over again. Manually setting up editor accounts appears to be a small price to pay to make this happen.
  • »23.01.10 - 20:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    > In the left sidebar, there is a "Printable Version" option to be found in the toolbar section.

Oh, I was blind :-) comes with age I guess...

> The MorphOS Library has a "Work in Progress" section for articles
    > that are 'unstable' and will likely be heavily changed in the future.

...and that section leaves much to be desired... :-( ...

> It was a carefully chosen decision to go for a members-only approach.

...and maybe that's one of the reasons. But, OK. But how can one contribute then? Ordinary users will find that trying to login there to add stuff does not work (at least did not for me).

Login error There is no user by the name "mihailod". Check your spelling.

I guess this part of the site is restricted? (If I again missed something big here, forgive me...)

For example, I was thinking of unifying all stuff I learned here about UAE on MorphOS so far, maybe to have one handy page with all modes, keyboard shortcuts, links for customization... Wanted to do it for myself and then I thought maybe I can post an article here so that other people can correct me, so that Google can index it and attract more people etc...

That article could go under Applications -> Third Party -> Emulators -> Amiga -> UAE -> "UAE proper" (another node would be UAE4All for example) node on some Wiki I guess... Once you see this taxonomy you feel more about contributing and expanding it even if you have a tiny bit of knowledge (like I do now) but every little bit helps...
  • »23.01.10 - 21:08
  • ASiegel
    On the frontpage of the MorphOS Library, there is the following text:
    "Do you have suggestions or would like to contribute? Please contact: <email address>".

Well, if you contact said email address and express a desire to contribute articles, a new editor account will be set up for you.
  • »23.01.10 - 21:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    mihailod
    OK, fair enough, I saw that but I thought it was too formal.

If I decide to submit something, I will do it that way then...

I still think the process should be more transparent but that's just my opinion...
  • »23.01.10 - 23:11