No Trash Can in MorphOS ?!?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    But personally I don't really think that it's proper to ask for bounty-money for implementing rather simple user-wanted features of the OS itself. As you say, it's an easy job, and you aren't asking for much at all.

Listen, the reason I'm asking for a bounty is due to several reasons:

- that project would be extra work not related to what I actually do in MorphOS these days
    - easy doesn't mean it wouldn't take a quite a bit of time
    - I need to justify the extra hours to my wife (and that one is most important)
    - the registrations aren't for salaries
    - my code in Ambient would have to be GPL and I despise GPL :)

If you will set up the bounty, I will pay it. Not that it is a feature that I need or really want, but I am sure that I might get some use from it some time in the future. And not that I have a lot of disposable income, as I live month to month on my small retirement income since being forced into an early retirement because of my failed back surgeries.

I just HATE to see any members question any of our MorphOS Dev. Team members who have given us so much, when one of them offers to provide a requested feature, but wants a (very small) bounty amount to pay for his spare time expended.

For that reason, I will pay the bounty as soon as it is set up. If I can't pay it all right away because I will be away from home for a few weeks and can't get my next retirement check, I will pay part now and the rest as soon as I get home to deposit my Aug. retirement check.

Edit: I think many users forget that our dev. team members are getting a little older now and have changing responsibilities (like families, or more demanding jobs), which can make it harder to find spare time to write code for MorphOS, or any MorphOS compatible software.

[ Edited by amigadave 31.07.2015 - 18:48 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »01.08.15 - 02:40
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I sent the editor request email for library.morph.zone :-D

You should have received an email with your password. You may have to check your spam folder.
  • »01.08.15 - 07:49
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    If you will set up the bounty, I will pay it. Not that it is a feature that I need or really want, but I am sure that I might get some use from it some time in the future.

This is a very generous offer but by saying this, you take away the incentive for others to contribute before any fundraising has even started. For comparison, announcing to match all donations collected during a specific time period (a week, a month) would involve other donors, who do want and do need this feature, and incentivize them do contribute soon in order to double the impact of their contribution. If the total is not reached by a certain date, you could still offer to pay any missing funds.

Quote:

And not that I have a lot of disposable income, as I live month to month on my small retirement income since being forced into an early retirement because of my failed back surgeries.

I am sorry your trip to France did not result in what you had hoped for. I was wondering what had happened after you posted about it here on MorphZone.

Quote:

I just HATE to see any members question any of our MorphOS Dev. Team members who have given us so much, when one of them offers to provide a requested feature, but wants a (very small) bounty amount to pay for his spare time expended.

There is nothing wrong with questioning as long as it is done politely. Just like there is nothing wrong with making an offer to all of those who might be willing to contribute financially so they can use a particular feature in the near future.
  • »01.08.15 - 08:11
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    I was using Global Trash (see Aminet) which I found useful: simple and well done. But this is an old program and something didn't work as it should (selecting time for delete files inside trashcan didn't work).
    Let' say that trashcan is not a "must have" but I bet it would be used a lot and it would be useful to have it for various reason. So, if this bounty starts, I'll be one of donors.
    @Amigadave:
    Sorry to read your experiencing more troubles. I really believed you solved your back problem.... Come on, man!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »01.08.15 - 08:35
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans on other systems where it just doubles the work (first delete the file + empty the trashcan, or pressing several (sometimes cryptic) keys instead of just pressing del key to remove files without putting them to thrashcan).

For me it's more comfortable to use .recycled/.deldir solution, which is completely automatic and also stores the files deleted by system/programs. I'm not sure if I've ever had to restore any files deleted by myself, at least my deletions go 99.99% correctly and trashcan style solution isn't needed in practise :)
  • »01.08.15 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans

+1

:-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.08.15 - 11:59
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Yasu
    I would much rather see it as a seperate file which you can download and set up from MorphOS Files or Aminet. But if jacadcaps is prepared to do it, someone is prepare to pay for it and it wont effect regular development, then who am I to complain? :-)
    AMIGA FORUM - Hela Sveriges Amigatidning!
    AMIGA FORUM - Sweden's Amiga Magazine!

My MorphOS blog
  • »01.08.15 - 12:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    I just don't understand... Just like many of you I hate Trashcan. I hate that I must delete with shift + del on win machine (always), and on MacOs X I dont even known how to del files without 2 passes, one to send files in trash, and second to, delete the trash.
    Just stupid waste of time...
    After 20 years of use Amiga systems I never used Trashcan...
    Maybe its better to use resorce to make sync usb stack in Mos instead of wasting resources on stupid trashcan.
    I thinking loud as all time MorphOs user and why is not enough to have filesystem like .recycled dir.
    Do we have to be Mac or Win, because if we have to be, its better for me to switch on something without stupid Trash and proper USB stuck.
    It's up to MorphOs Team....
  • »01.08.15 - 13:41
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Condor wrote:
    I just don't understand... Just like many of you I hate Trashcan. I hate that I
    must delete with shift + del on win machine (always)

Right-click on the trashcan icon, choose "Properties", switch to the "General" tab and check the "Don´t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" option.

It´s one of the first things I set up after doing a clean installation of Windows (if it is to be used by mself anyway).

Quote:

and on MacOs X I dont even known how to del files without 2 passes, one to send files in trash, and second to, delete the trash. Just stupid waste of time...

There are various third-party solutions available. One of the most convenient ones can be found in the Apple App Store and costs 99 cents: Trash Without

Quote:

After 20 years of use Amiga systems I never used Trashcan...

The idea is to make MorphOS more comfortable to use for users who either have never had decades of experience using AmigaOS or, for better or for worse, have simply got used to some useability aspects of certain mainstream operating systems.

While I personally prefer the alternative, I do see the merits of the traditional trashcan approach as well.

Quote:

Maybe its better to use resorce to make sync usb stack in Mos instead of wasting resources on stupid trashcan. I thinking loud as all time MorphOs user and why is not enough to have filesystem like .recycled dir. Do we have to be Mac or Win, because if we have to be, its better for me to switch on something without stupid Trash and proper USB stuck. It's up to MorphOs Team....

I think this is a case of false equivalence. While development of the USB stack and development of a trashcan feature for Ambient are both programming challenges, the developer who would work on one may not be available, trained or motivated to work on the other. So, reallocating funds from a project that is guarantueed to be completed quickly if it is funded, to an entirely different project does not mean that both will produce comparable results in terms of active development or just generally produce similar interest among developers.
  • »01.08.15 - 15:21
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I'm not a big fan of Trashcan myself, but then again when using Mac OS or Windows I tend to rely on it (for example, the fact that removing a file in XCode will land it in the Trash is quite convenient). So, to sum things up, here's what I'm offering to do:

1) Add Trash functionality alongside Delete to Ambient's menus, etc (or make delete take an optional parameter controlling what happens with the file)

2) The same functionality would be exposed to applications via the wblib

3) The Trashcan functionality would create a .trash (or so) directory on each volume when moving files to trash. That means any (writable and local) volume would support the trashcan functionality, no matter what filesystem the volume is formatted with. No files would ever be copied between volumes.

4) All trashed files would be viewable in a single place, in a virtual Trashcan folder showing trashed files from all mounted volumes.

5) Files could be automatically restored to their original locations.

Point 1 implies this will be entirely optional and likely disabled by default.
  • »01.08.15 - 16:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Maybe its better to use resorce to make sync usb stack in Mos

Could you elaborate?
  • »01.08.15 - 19:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Condor
    USB stack on MorphOs is not good like on Mac/Win or Linux...but this is OT.
  • »01.08.15 - 19:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Can someone who has experience with, or knowledge of how and where to set up bounties for software projects, create this bounty for jacadcaps? I will take the advice of others here on the forum and change my offer to match all donations made from other people, so that the total amount can be raised quickly.

[ Edited by amigadave 03.08.2015 - 07:14 ]
  • »03.08.15 - 15:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans on other systems where it just doubles the work (first delete the file + empty the trashcan, or pressing several (sometimes cryptic) keys instead of just pressing del key to remove files without putting them to thrashcan).

For me it's more comfortable to use .recycled/.deldir solution, which is completely automatic and also stores the files deleted by system/programs. I'm not sure if I've ever had to restore any files deleted by myself, at least my deletions go 99.99% correctly and trashcan style solution isn't needed in practise :)

It would work better if the oldest files were deleted from trashcan automatically, lets say after 30 days.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »05.08.15 - 07:43
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

itix wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

It would work better if the oldest files were deleted from trashcan automatically, lets say after 30 days.

Trashcan also will take space on the HD, and at least I have HDs full all the time, can't imagine I could fit removed archives/music/videos there :) .recycled/.deldir purges its contents in that kind of situations automatically, but that can't probably be implemented to this kind of trashcan we're talking, because it makes a user to assume that files are there until manually (or timedly) emptied... or at least there should be a requester asking if it's ok to purge it in that situation :)
  • »05.08.15 - 08:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    The project has been successfully funded.
  • »23.08.15 - 13:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Damn, means I'll have to actually do it now :)
  • »23.08.15 - 16:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

You can do it!

I just hope it is worth your time and effort, for so little reward.

Your challenge is how to complete such work, while coding only during the naps that your new family member takes. ;-)
  • »24.08.15 - 02:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

amigadave schrieb:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

You can do it!

I just hope it is worth your time and effort, for so little reward.

Your challenge is how to complete such work, while coding only during the naps that your new family member takes. ;-)

Wasn't Fab the man with the new family member?
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.08.15 - 07:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

It's not just him :)
  • »24.08.15 - 08:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

jacadcaps schrieb:
    Quote:

I see, congrats to you.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »24.08.15 - 09:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry there was no word from me about this project. It's still on the TODO, but that list hasn't moved in a long while - turns out I'm still working on the project I wanted to finish before looking into this. I'll let you decide whether it was worth it or not once the next MorphOS release comes out...
  • »01.08.16 - 00:58
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

What, did you adopt a bunch of penguins?

*runs to the hills*
  • »01.08.16 - 04:00