No Trash Can in MorphOS ?!?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    You can copy the Icon with Ambient, click All/Files, rmb/Information on the .recycled dir and drag & drop.
    No need to use the Shell.

[ Edited by Tom01 28.07.2015 - 16:25 ]
  • »28.07.15 - 16:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I never noticed it until I read this topic, but I think there should be an icon on the desktop relating to deleted items, similar to Trash or Recycle Bin. The explanation that it is not necessary because of the SFS is only confusing to me. The only conclusion I can guess, is that the SFS is a much more improved version of a Recycle Bin, but I do not understand why a Recycle Bin icon and folder can't be a feature of the SFS Deleted Hidden Subfolder or whatever it's called.

I am now going to share my experience with Windows and how it parallels with MorphOS. Windows is very slow Operating System. Every necessary feature that Microsoft adds to Windows, they add 14 other unnecessary features. I spend about two weeks figuring out how to undo the new unnecessary and very slow bloatware features. Undoing things such as Start Screen, Metro Apps, and the setting Metro Apps as the default Apps is also annoying, Edge Swipes, Hot Corners, Charms Bar, ... in addition to setting my recommended preference of "Use Windows For Best Performance" setting, and the High Contrast Setting ... I do not like needing to customize it just to make it usable.

Morphos is both slightly similar and slightly different. While every feature is turned ON by default with Windows, every feature is turned OFF by default with MorphOS! Why? Because Amiga Users have no use for these features?! Will adding such features risk decreasing MorphOS performance? So, now I have to customize MorphOS which involves complicated procedures similar to the complicated procedure of purging Metro Apps from Windows.

I do not like the solution of moving files to Ram Disk (What is a RAM Disk?) I like the solution of SFS Doctor, Global application available for download, and the preference settings.

Is there a knowledge base included with MorphOS? You will need one. Also, you simply must write a Knowledge Base article perhaps in the MorphOS Wiki also, offering solutions for the Trash Icon.

Quickly dismissing the requested feature because Amiga users and programmers have no use for the feature is going to detract potential new users looking to try a new OS.

[ Edited by In_Correct 29.07.2015 - 23:08 ]
    :-) I Support Quark Microkernel. :-D
  • »30.07.15 - 03:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

Nostradamus wrote:
    Is a simple way to get the trash folder visible on the drive of your choice:

1.) download a PNG picture whatever you want
    2.) copy this PNG into the root of DH0/DH1/DH2 etc
    3.) open CLI
    4.) type following command (on each drive you have...)
    "rename <Filename>.png .recycled.info"
    5.) now you have an icon for your trash folder

To place it on your desktop create a new panel, set transparency to 1 and then add the icon of your trash to this panel. thats all

:-D Welcome, New Person! :-D

[ Edited by In_Correct 29.07.2015 - 20:10 ]
  • »30.07.15 - 03:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    duplicate post.

[ Edited by In_Correct 29.07.2015 - 23:07 ]
  • »30.07.15 - 06:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    Quote:

Tom01 wrote:
    You can copy the Icon with Ambient, click All/Files, rmb/Information on the .recycled dir and drag & drop.
    No need to use the Shell.

The dir itself is not visible in Ambient just like that. Even with All Files turned on. I can enter the .recycled dir with / in my Ambient window, but .recycled isnt showing even when All Files is checked. However, after have typed .recycled the dir stays on the top of the Ambient window.

Is there a SFS setting somewhere? Because I dont see it in SFS prefs?

Michal
  • »30.07.15 - 07:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > What is a RAM Disk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_drive
    http://wiki.amigaos.net/wiki/AmigaOS_Manual:_Workbench_Basic_Operations#Using_the_Ram_Disk
  • »30.07.15 - 08:57
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:

I am now going to share my experience with Windows and how it parallels with MorphOS. Windows is very slow Operating System. Every necessary feature that Microsoft adds to Windows, they add 14 other unnecessary features. I spend about two weeks figuring out how to undo the new unnecessary and very slow bloatware features. Undoing things such as Start Screen, Metro Apps, and the setting Metro Apps as the default Apps is also annoying, Edge Swipes, Hot Corners, Charms Bar, ... in addition to setting my recommended preference of "Use Windows For Best Performance" setting, and the High Contrast Setting ... I do not like needing to customize it just to make it usable.

Morphos is both slightly similar and slightly different. While every feature is turned ON by default with Windows, every feature is turned OFF by default with MorphOS! Why? Because Amiga Users have no use for these features?! Will adding such features risk decreasing MorphOS performance? So, now I have to customize MorphOS which involves complicated procedures similar to the complicated procedure of purging Metro Apps from Windows.

As you said, both include some work, and I think that two weeks of undoing is worse than going through the settings and enabling what you want... if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean. But aren't everyone going through all the settings in the new operating systems anyway? At least I do that with Windows, OSX, and MorphOS every time I install a new system. And I don't think MorphOS (or any other marginal system) is that appealing to that incompetent people who don't like to take a look at the settings at all...

Amiga users also have used to start to tune their systems from really plain starting points. We've even seen that some complain that MorphOS is too modern for their taste (with the default settings). In any case, it's impossible to make the default settings which everyone would be happy, and that's why everyone should take a look at prefs, it's not that hard.

That said, in my own opinion MorphOS could be little more configured by default too :)

Quote:

I do not like the solution of moving files to Ram Disk (What is a RAM Disk?)

Why would you _need_ to move files to Ram Disk? It's there only to offer more flexibility for the people who think it's handy for temporary files. Many Amiga users love and are grown to it, but using it isn't required, you may as well use HD for anything too although it's slower and you have to clean it manually.

Quote:

Is there a knowledge base included with MorphOS? You will need one. Also, you simply must write a Knowledge Base article perhaps in the MorphOS Wiki also, offering solutions for the Trash Icon.

Core MorphOS developers are fully employed with the developing, and so far nobody else has volunteered to write the proper documentation for the recent versions. The older Pegasos Books are pretty nice for older versions.

In any case, you should have seen the MorphOS Library wiki here, it is the best we have currently, and I think it's a good idea to extend it for the documentation. There's even an explanation of that SFS's .recycled directory: http://library.morph.zone/Tips_and_Tricks#.recycled_Directory

Quote:

MorphDelf wrote:
    The dir itself is not visible in Ambient just like that. Even with All Files turned on. I can enter the .recycled dir with / in my Ambient window, but .recycled isnt showing even when All Files is checked. However, after have typed .recycled the dir stays on the top of the Ambient window.

You can select if there is a .recycled directory on the partition, or if it's visible or not, when formatting the partition. I don't remember now if it can be changed later from any setting....

[ Edited by jPV 30.07.2015 - 10:03 ]
  • »30.07.15 - 08:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I never noticed it until I read this topic, but I think there should be an icon on the desktop relating to deleted items, similar to Trash or Recycle Bin. The explanation that it is not necessary because of the SFS is only confusing to me. The only conclusion I can guess, is that the SFS is a much more improved version of a Recycle Bin, but I do not understand why a Recycle Bin icon and folder can't be a feature of the SFS Deleted Hidden Subfolder or whatever it's called.

I do not like the solution of moving files to Ram Disk (What is a RAM Disk?) I like the solution of SFS Doctor, Global application available for download, and the preference settings.

Quickly dismissing the requested feature because Amiga users and programmers have no use for the feature is going to detract potential new users looking to try a new OS.

That makes the assusumption that everyone uses SFS for their data. I don't and I'm far from the only one.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.15

2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »30.07.15 - 12:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Does the ICE filesystem include a recycle, or trash handling function like SFS?

Are there any polls, or statistics anywhere which show how many users are using ICE-FS instead of SFS?

I have thought about switching to ICE-FS, but have delayed such a move because I never see much discussion about it, and even less forum messages about it, or about any improvements to ICE-FS during the last couple of years. Is it still being actively developed by it's author?
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »30.07.15 - 17:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    connor
    IceFS has a .recycled dir, too. The author did not release updates for about two years. If he stopped development I cannot know. There was a mailing list once but it has been closed a while ago. I hope he still develops it because there are some annoying bugs like slow speed on more than half full disks and sometimes read errors that I do not have with SFS. This is why I never really switched to IceFS. but you can give it a try. Only use an empty disk for it to not use your data.
  • »30.07.15 - 18:22
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

connor wrote:
    IceFS has a .recycled dir, too. The author did not release updates for about two years. If he stopped development I cannot know. There was a mailing list once but it has been closed a while ago. I hope he still develops it because there are some annoying bugs like slow speed on more than half full disks and sometimes read errors that I do not have with SFS. This is why I never really switched to IceFS. but you can give it a try. Only use an empty disk for it to not use your data.

Thanks for the reply and tips about IceFS. I guess I will stick with SFS, or maybe try PSF3, which I have long had a registered copy of, but have never really used.
  • »30.07.15 - 18:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Just to throw in my few cents...

The SFS' .recycled really does not work like a Windows user would expect from a Trashcan - it does not store just the deleted files, but also versions of old files (depending on how an application updates them).

Now, it'd be quite easy to add a Trashcan to the OS since it seems there's some demand for that. I'd be willing to do that for a 400 eur bounty which would cover extending Ambient with the functionality.
  • »30.07.15 - 18:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pegasos-sigi2
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

The SFS' .recycled really does not work like a Windows user would expect from a Trashcan - it does not store just the deleted files, but also versions of old files (depending on how an application updates them).

Now, it'd be quite easy to add a Trashcan to the OS since it seems there's some demand for that. I'd be willing to do that for a 400 eur bounty which would cover extending Ambient with the functionality.

Ok... but a another solution:

Ease solution: Create in the ambient filetypes global under "every files" a seperate "delete" entry
    But this entry did't delete files, but it make a copy to a special location.
    Now you can recycle the "deleted" files every time you want.

[ Edited by pegasos-sigi2 30.07.2015 - 20:07 ]
    Spreedy - The spreedsheet editor of MorphOS
    Calimero - Do you know about the new DTP Program for MorphOS ?
  • »30.07.15 - 20:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @jacadcaps

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Now, it'd be quite easy to add a Trashcan to the OS since it seems there's some demand for that. I'd be willing to do that for a ... bounty

Well, I will throw in a few cents as well...

I know that MorphOS isn't commercial in the sense that its sales can provide for paid development, far from it. That's obvious. But still, it's not a free OS, it's being sold for money. Users pay money for it. And given the "MorphOS counter" thread, there is still a slow but steady development regarding license sales.

I appreciate that developers (MorphOS developers included of course) offers their services against a bounty fee. I think this can be an opportunity for the community to acquire SW that's needed and wanted, voluntarily funded by community members.

But personally I don't really think that it's proper to ask for bounty-money for implementing rather simple user-wanted features of the OS itself. As you say, it's an easy job, and you aren't asking for much at all. €400 would be easily achieved by a few donations only. But couldn't you handle these kind of small changes (and the payment for the workload) internally within the MorphOS team, from license fees? Improving the product according to customers needs and wants (like what's been communicated in this thread) is a good thing for future sales, right?

Asking for bounty-money for developing stuff not directly connected to the OS itself is a bit different IMHO, like the Odyssey bounty [for OS4/AROS] (which I was a proud sponsor of, since I'm a fan of FAB!!1!) and the Javascript JIT for Odyssey, odd drivers, etc.

Well, that's my 2 €urocents (though I'm not even a fan of the €uro... ;-))
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »30.07.15 - 22:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:

As you said, both include some work, and I think that two weeks of undoing is worse than going through the settings and enabling what you want... if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean. But aren't everyone going through all the settings in the new operating systems anyway? At least I do that with Windows, OSX, and MorphOS every time I install a new system. And I don't think MorphOS (or any other marginal system) is that appealing to that incompetent people who don't like to take a look at the settings at all...

Amiga users also have used to start to tune their systems from really plain starting points. We've even seen that some complain that MorphOS is too modern for their taste (with the default settings). In any case, it's impossible to make the default settings which everyone would be happy, and that's why everyone should take a look at prefs, it's not that hard.

That said, in my own opinion MorphOS could be little more configured by default too :)

Quote:

I do not like the solution of moving files to Ram Disk (What is a RAM Disk?)

Why would you _need_ to move files to Ram Disk? It's there only to offer more flexibility for the people who think it's handy for temporary files. Many Amiga users love and are grown to it, but using it isn't required, you may as well use HD for anything too although it's slower and you have to clean it manually.

Quote:

Core MorphOS developers are fully employed with the developing, and so far nobody else has volunteered to write the proper documentation for the recent versions. The older Pegasos Books are pretty nice for older versions.

In any case, you should have seen the MorphOS Library wiki here, it is the best we have currently, and I think it's a good idea to extend it for the documentation. There's even an explanation of that SFS's .recycled directory: http://library.morph.zone/Tips_and_Tricks#.recycled_Directory

Quote:

MorphDelf wrote:

You can select if there is a .recycled directory on the partition, or if it's visible or not, when formatting the partition. I don't remember now if it can be changed later from any setting....

Quote:

I would be happy to nominate myself for writing, but it would risk errors because I know few things about MorphOS. My attempting to write articles would involve risk pestering people on these forums to read and verify if information is accurate. ;-)

Quote:

if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean.

Is this true with MorphOS? How severe is the impact on enabling by default with MorphOS?
  • »31.07.15 - 03:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    @jacadcaps

Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Now, it'd be quite easy to add a Trashcan to the OS since it seems there's some demand for that. I'd be willing to do that for a ... bounty

Well, I will throw in a few cents as well...

I know that MorphOS isn't commercial in the sense that its sales can provide for paid development, far from it. That's obvious. But still, it's not a free OS, it's being sold for money. Users pay money for it. And given the "MorphOS counter" thread, there is still a slow but steady development regarding license sales.

I appreciate that developers (MorphOS developers included of course) offers their services against a bounty fee. I think this can be an opportunity for the community to acquire SW that's needed and wanted, voluntarily funded by community members.

But personally I don't really think that it's proper to ask for bounty-money for implementing rather simple user-wanted features of the OS itself. As you say, it's an easy job, and you aren't asking for much at all. €400 would be easily achieved by a few donations only. But couldn't you handle these kind of small changes (and the payment for the workload) internally within the MorphOS team, from license fees? Improving the product according to customers needs and wants (like what's been communicated in this thread) is a good thing for future sales, right?

Asking for bounty-money for developing stuff not directly connected to the OS itself is a bit different IMHO, like the Odyssey bounty [for OS4/AROS] (which I was a proud sponsor of, since I'm a fan of FAB!!1!) and the Javascript JIT for Odyssey, odd drivers, etc.

Well, that's my 2 €urocents (though I'm not even a fan of the €uro... ;-))

Two More Cents: :-D While asking for bounty is not the perfect solution, it is possible considering that there is much other development to consider. The MorphOS Team is probably much more concerned with things such as targeting a new hardware platform. :-)
  • »31.07.15 - 03:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I would be happy to nominate myself for writing, but it would risk errors because I know few things about MorphOS. My attempting to write articles would involve risk pestering people on these forums to read and verify if information is accurate. ;-)

Well... if someone would do the writing job, I think that many of us are willing to give help on technical details. For example I can give technical help and details, but the actual writing is quite laborous and slow for me to get it correct grammatically etc :) I guess the MorphOS Library wiki could be useful to combine the effort...

Quote:

Quote:

if they are enabled by default they also have cluttered all kinds of data over the HD which is harder to clean.

Is this true with MorphOS? How severe is the impact on enabling by default with MorphOS?

It's mainly a problem for other systems, luckily MorphOS is pretty clean in this regard.
  • »31.07.15 - 06:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    But personally I don't really think that it's proper to ask for bounty-money for implementing rather simple user-wanted features of the OS itself. As you say, it's an easy job, and you aren't asking for much at all.

Listen, the reason I'm asking for a bounty is due to several reasons:

- that project would be extra work not related to what I actually do in MorphOS these days
    - easy doesn't mean it wouldn't take a quite a bit of time
    - I need to justify the extra hours to my wife (and that one is most important)
    - the registrations aren't for salaries
    - my code in Ambient would have to be GPL and I despise GPL :)
  • »31.07.15 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:

Well... if someone would do the writing job, I think that many of us are willing to give help on technical details. For example I can give technical help and details, but the actual writing is quite laborous and slow for me to get it correct grammatically etc :) I guess the MorphOS Library wiki could be useful to combine the effort...

Quote:

Quote:

It's mainly a problem for other systems, luckily MorphOS is pretty clean in this regard.

I do not have an account with libary.morph.zone although I would enjoy one. :-D I see you have an account at the libary? ;-)

I began to begin my own wiki knowledge base, combining all Commodore Amiga information and anything related to it. My hope is to attract new users if they find the Wiki in the Google search. :-) I will give anybody with knowledge admin privileges so that they can correct any error I cause by risk writing the not accurate information.
  • »01.08.15 - 02:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    In_Correct
    I sent the editor request email for library.morph.zone :-D
  • »01.08.15 - 02:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    But personally I don't really think that it's proper to ask for bounty-money for implementing rather simple user-wanted features of the OS itself. As you say, it's an easy job, and you aren't asking for much at all.

Listen, the reason I'm asking for a bounty is due to several reasons:

- that project would be extra work not related to what I actually do in MorphOS these days
    - easy doesn't mean it wouldn't take a quite a bit of time
    - I need to justify the extra hours to my wife (and that one is most important)
    - the registrations aren't for salaries
    - my code in Ambient would have to be GPL and I despise GPL :)

If you will set up the bounty, I will pay it. Not that it is a feature that I need or really want, but I am sure that I might get some use from it some time in the future. And not that I have a lot of disposable income, as I live month to month on my small retirement income since being forced into an early retirement because of my failed back surgeries.

I just HATE to see any members question any of our MorphOS Dev. Team members who have given us so much, when one of them offers to provide a requested feature, but wants a (very small) bounty amount to pay for his spare time expended.

For that reason, I will pay the bounty as soon as it is set up. If I can't pay it all right away because I will be away from home for a few weeks and can't get my next retirement check, I will pay part now and the rest as soon as I get home to deposit my Aug. retirement check.

Edit: I think many users forget that our dev. team members are getting a little older now and have changing responsibilities (like families, or more demanding jobs), which can make it harder to find spare time to write code for MorphOS, or any MorphOS compatible software.

[ Edited by amigadave 31.07.2015 - 18:48 ]
  • »01.08.15 - 03:40
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

In_Correct wrote:
    I sent the editor request email for library.morph.zone :-D

You should have received an email with your password. You may have to check your spam folder.
  • »01.08.15 - 08:49
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    If you will set up the bounty, I will pay it. Not that it is a feature that I need or really want, but I am sure that I might get some use from it some time in the future.

This is a very generous offer but by saying this, you take away the incentive for others to contribute before any fundraising has even started. For comparison, announcing to match all donations collected during a specific time period (a week, a month) would involve other donors, who do want and do need this feature, and incentivize them do contribute soon in order to double the impact of their contribution. If the total is not reached by a certain date, you could still offer to pay any missing funds.

Quote:

And not that I have a lot of disposable income, as I live month to month on my small retirement income since being forced into an early retirement because of my failed back surgeries.

I am sorry your trip to France did not result in what you had hoped for. I was wondering what had happened after you posted about it here on MorphZone.

Quote:

I just HATE to see any members question any of our MorphOS Dev. Team members who have given us so much, when one of them offers to provide a requested feature, but wants a (very small) bounty amount to pay for his spare time expended.

There is nothing wrong with questioning as long as it is done politely. Just like there is nothing wrong with making an offer to all of those who might be willing to contribute financially so they can use a particular feature in the near future.
  • »01.08.15 - 09:11
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    I was using Global Trash (see Aminet) which I found useful: simple and well done. But this is an old program and something didn't work as it should (selecting time for delete files inside trashcan didn't work).
    Let' say that trashcan is not a "must have" but I bet it would be used a lot and it would be useful to have it for various reason. So, if this bounty starts, I'll be one of donors.
    @Amigadave:
    Sorry to read your experiencing more troubles. I really believed you solved your back problem.... Come on, man!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »01.08.15 - 09:35
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    As long as it's kept optional. I hate the trashcans on other systems where it just doubles the work (first delete the file + empty the trashcan, or pressing several (sometimes cryptic) keys instead of just pressing del key to remove files without putting them to thrashcan).

For me it's more comfortable to use .recycled/.deldir solution, which is completely automatic and also stores the files deleted by system/programs. I'm not sure if I've ever had to restore any files deleted by myself, at least my deletions go 99.99% correctly and trashcan style solution isn't needed in practise :)
  • »01.08.15 - 10:58
    Profile Visit Website