QBox Collector's Postcard Set (was: MorphOS CD Covers an...)
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Hi folks,

There were quite some calls for some official MorphOS CD covers here one MorphZone and elsewhere. We also had some successful (at least there was lots of positive feedback) test runs with some self-produced "Special Edition" CDs on various parties, see these links:

http://charlie.amigaspirit.hu/party/amicon2009.10/IMG_4988.JPG
    http://www.geit.de/tmp/morphoscd1.jpg

Now, printing CDs and covers and send them individually to people doesn't sound very smart. Especially with the rather fast release-cycle MorphOS experienced lately (before CDs are produced and send out a new version of the OS might be available already), so this is simply out of question; I'm sure we all agree on that. ;-)

So this made me thinking how you still could produce something to satisfy the needs; and I got a doable idea (I would do it in case there is enough demand and interest).

MorphOS Postcard Set, Collectors Edition

It would be a set of like 10 postcards with nice MorphOS motives; each postcard would be square and 12x12 cm, so it could also be used as inlay cover in a slim CD box. Printed in very high quality and on strong paper (like 250 g or 300 g); maybe with UV lacquer, or maybe matt.

The motives would center on the little QBox and his adventures (see linked pictures above); also the images would show a smaller "MorphOS" lettering, but no version information. So each card can be used completely unrelated to a specific MorphOS release; you even could frame them and tack them on the wall as premium artworks, if you like. :-)

Would you buy such product?

And if yes, how much would you pay for it (excluding possible shipping costs)?
    (Please consider that such things usually get more expensive the smaller the edition is; we're talking about an edition of max 100 units here.)

Let me know in this very thread.

Motives

Currently 4 basic motives are 'done' already; but I would redefine and improve them for the postcards:

QBox and the Butterflies
    QBox and the Little Elephants
    QBox and the Too Hot Paprika
    QBox and the GrabberBunny

In case there is enough interest, feel free to suggest motive ideas in this very thread, too. :)
  • »08.11.09 - 22:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    I am not crazy about paying for CD case inserts, but some others might like the idea. I would be willing to support the team by purchasing MorphOS themed T-Shirts, Mouse Pads, Baseball Caps, Posters of a larger size, desktop wallpaper designs, etc.

I would even be willing to help arrange the production of such products and sell them with a certain predetermined profit amount which 100% would be sent to the MOSTeam. This would have to be done on a pre-order and pre-pay basis, as I am not in a position to take the risk of spending hundreds of dollars to have the items produced and then not have all of them sell.

I like the Q-Box character, but think that it should not be the only character to represent MorphOS. Besides the Morpho Butterfly and the Q-Box character, I think we need another one or two MorphOS symbols to use on such advertising items.

It would not hurt to have a wallpaper design contest and include all of the best designs with the next release of MorphOS 2.5. As a reward for the artist's hard work, the team could offer a discount on the next paid update to the top three artist's, but would have to figure out how to have the art judged to do that.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »09.11.09 - 02:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    hi there,

i'm working in the printing centre, and to create say 12x12 cm thick paper doube sided single print the price could be sth like 1 USD excluding postage, i could also provide a cd sticker for another 1 USD. the price could be even less, haven't done precise calculations... it's just not as easy to stick the cd sticker precisely...

bye, MarK.
  • »09.11.09 - 04:44
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    I'm not interested in just making "some cheap" product; if that's the goal then it is better everyone prints his own crappy cover in his home office. Just grab a wallpaper from MorphOS CD, square it and print it. Can't be that hard! :-)

What I'm interested in would be an Collector's item (hence "Collector's Edition") which is not just a mere CD inlay, but a rather versatile high quality product with multiple uses (including the possibility to use it as CD inlay).

All the motives have to be connected 'story wise'; hence the centering on the QBox character. Also, there are enough side characters already; I don't think we need to invent even more for no reason. Butterflies have their reason; QBox has its reason (it's obviously an inside joke ;-) ) also the GrabberBunny has its historical reason. It's not just characters invented randomly just to have them. :-)

This would be my pet project, hence I obviously want to primarily 'promote' my art; this basically has nothing to do with the MorphOS Team (there is no such thing as "MOSTeam", btw.; that just looks silly ;-) ).

Also I have my own good contacts to the printing industry (they are maybe not as cheap as the one in Czech Republic), which I prefer to utilize. :-) Also consider that the price can't just include mere RAW printing costs; there are lots of other factors to be calculated in too.

Anyway... this are technical details; I'm for now only interested: if there is interest in such collector set of cards; If yes, how much would you pay/ no.

It was just an idea I would be willing to spend time (certainly the biggest factor in this project) on it; not going to produce cups or baseball bats or other stuff (I'm not Amiga, Inc.) :-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »09.11.09 - 09:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    considering the high morphOS price that doesn't include box and a CD, these postcards (great idea btw) should be sent for free to registered users. That would show that the morphos dev team actually cares.
  • »09.11.09 - 14:16
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Get27
    Hello,

nice to see that, it looks great :-)

But, IMHO, it would be better to download "official" image and print it myself.
    PowerMac 3.5, G4 1.0GHz DP, 1GB ram, 80GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9600 128MB Mac, 1680x1050
    PowerMac 7.3, G5 2.3GHz DP, 4GB ram, 160GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9800 128MB PC, 1680x1050
    Amiga 500+, Vampire 500v2+, HxC Floppy
  • »09.11.09 - 14:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Quote:

considering the high morphOS price that doesn't include box and a CD, these postcards (great idea btw) should be sent for free to registered users. That would show that the morphos dev team actually cares.

Did you read what I wrote? :-) This has nothing to do with the MorphOS Team; but this would be a 100% "tokai project".

Do you want me to print the stuff for free and then send it to like 700 people? Lets not consider the work and time required for that; alone the shipping costs would be a more than thousand bucks, probably a few thousand bucks already. Shall I pay that from my own pocket? I'm certainly not that rich.

Seriously. :-)
  • »09.11.09 - 15:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    12x12 cm postcard? ;). Add an A3 calendar and i would be interested :).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »09.11.09 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @tokai,

sorry you were not understood with your first post. I for one am not interested in your art project that is only intended to make some money for your profit, but hope it all goes well for you.

I am interested in promoting MorphOS to get more users and third party developers, and I think some of the suggestions earlier in this thread could increase awareness of MorphOS and possibly lead toward achieving that goal in what ever small way. I won't post anything else about these ideas in your thread, as they are off topic and apologize for hijacking your thread by suggesting other items other than the ones that you were trying to ask the members here about their interest level.

I have not been a part of the MorphOS scene, or community, or users group long enough to get your inside joke (but suspect is has something to do with the Q-Box being dropped as a priority and focus shifting to the A-Box in MorphOS), or know why your Q-Box art would be considered a collector's item by anyone, but do appreciate each member of the "MorphOS Team" and their contributions and hard work to improve MorphOS.

I also don't understand your repeated displeasure, in this thread and others, when members here use abbreviations for MorphOS and the MorphOS Team. I could see you not wanting abbreviations used on other sites, or in any advertising or promotional materials, web articles, but is it really a big deal for members here to use MOS instead of having to type out MorphOS, or MOSTeam instead of typing out MorphOS Development Team, or MorphOS Team, here on these forums? After all, we all know what is meant by those commonly used abbreviations.

I am afraid that I am becoming a PITA for some of the MOSTeam members, and that is the last thing I would want to become. So, please accept my apologies in the spirit intended.
  • »09.11.09 - 19:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    i will buy :D

for what i don't know, maybe 15 euro?

it's nice the idea of the calendar also :D :D
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »09.11.09 - 21:28
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @amigadave

Quote:

sorry you were not understood with your first post. I for one am not interested in your art project that is only intended to make some money for your profit, but hope it all goes well for you.

Do you really think that you could actually make profit from such project? You would have to sell it for such an high price nobody would buy it anyway. If you have some extra bucks at the end to buy a bottle coke and some German baumkuchen you can call it a huge success.

Quote:

I also don't understand your repeated displeasure, in this thread and others, when members here use abbreviations for MorphOS and the MorphOS Team. I could see you not wanting abbreviations used on other sites, or in any advertising or promotional materials, web articles, but is it really a big deal for members here to use MOS instead of having to type out MorphOS, or MOSTeam instead of typing out MorphOS Development Team, or MorphOS Team, here on these forums? After all, we all know what is meant by those commonly used abbreviations.

I often hear the words promotion here. The first rule of promotion for a product is to write the product's name properly. Simply as that.

For a longer explanation: If people get used to write things wrong they will do it constantly, also when it will cause confusion. Outside people who might read wouldn't know that "MOS" means "MorphOS" in such case. F.ex. fellow MorphOS user amix was talking in the general #OpenTTD user channel about "MOS" and caused some serious confusion for the other (Non-MorphOS-and-Non-Amiga-) users there. A quick look on Google with the search term "MOS" quickly will reveal too, that "MOS" is a highly ambiguous acronym. It can practically mean *anything*.

And yes; I might be over-pedantic here, but like you I'm also interested in promoting MorphOS as good as possible; but that works only when done properly, IMHO. And yes; if people write "MOS" or "MOSTeam" (which really looks ugly even not considering the "MOS" facts) it triggers something, causing me to point out that it's written wrong, leading to such long replies like this very one here (in the end that greatly reduces the time I could spend on actual coding something for MorphOS :-) ).

Tell me, why is it so hard to write four letters more? :-)

Quote:

I am afraid that I am becoming a PITA for some of the MOSTeam members, and that is the last thing I would want to become. So, please accept my apologies in the spirit intended.

Whoever that MOSTeam is. ;-) (it really sounds like the name of some team of German apple juice makers :-D )

(Don't get me wrong, I don't really care if you or someone else wants to write it wrong; but I like to point it out anyway. ;-) )

regards,
    tokai
  • »09.11.09 - 21:47
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    Count me in.. How much?

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »09.11.09 - 22:55
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @tokai,

Understood. ;-)

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/11/9 14:03 ]
  • »09.11.09 - 23:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    roschmyr
    i would buy it, but what is it worth?
    Maybe 20 bucks 8-)
  • »10.11.09 - 18:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Well heck, if the didgital download license is $250 then these should be at least that much!! Oh and dont forget to tack on another $100 for shipping and VAT!!!!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »10.11.09 - 21:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @Acill

Thanks for your input. I think you found the wrong thread though. Maybe you should blog about it?
  • »10.11.09 - 21:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    @tokai

I like your art so put me down for a set :-) I'm sure whatever the cost is it won't be too bad.
    Any chance of a cow or two on one of the postcards? One with a butterfly landed on its nose to make it more MOS MorphOS related ;-)
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »10.11.09 - 21:33
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Golem wrote:
    @Acill

Thanks for your input. I think you found the wrong thread though. Maybe you should blog about it?

Looks like I hit a nerve! Woot! :-D
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »10.11.09 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Some motives ideas:

Qbox (with crowbar) and the wooden Q box
    Qbox (as a shepherd) and the Sheeps
    Qbox and the Flying Pigs
    Qbox and the Bug
    Qbox (with loupe) and girls
    Qbox and the Evil Trojan
    Qbox and the Timeout
    Qbox and the QuakeWorld
    Qbox and the Green Cow

[ Edited by Korni on 2009/11/10 21:56 ]
  • »10.11.09 - 21:54
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    @Acill

No, just the wrong thread.
  • »10.11.09 - 22:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    @Ruud:

Quote:

Any chance of a cow or two on one of the postcards? One with a butterfly landed on its nose to make it more MorphOS related

Good ideas here... but I think QBox has no nose. :-D

@Korni:

Quote:

Qbox and the Flying Pigs
    Qbox and the Bug

I like this ones.

Quote:

Qbox (with loupe) and girls

erm... good idea, but I think we should keep it g-rated. :-D

Quote:

Qbox and the Evil Trojan
    Qbox and the Timeout
    Qbox and the QuakeWorld

They sound interesting, but I'm not sure how they could look visually. :-)

Quote:

Qbox and the Green Cow

What Green Cow? Why green? :-)
  • »10.11.09 - 22:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Quote:

tokai wrote:

Good ideas here... but I think QBox has no nose. :-D

I meant butterfly on the cows nose with the cows eyes going cross eyed looking at it :-D
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »10.11.09 - 23:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @tokai

Quote:

Do you want me to print the stuff for free and then send it to like 700 people? Lets not consider the work and time required for that; alone the shipping costs would be a more than thousand bucks, probably a few thousand bucks already. Shall I pay that from my own pocket? I'm certainly not that rich.

certainly not :-)

i misunderstood for sure.
  • »11.11.09 - 08:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Quote:

Qbox and the Evil Trojan
    Qbox and the Timeout
    Qbox and the QuakeWorld

Quote:

They sound interesting, but I'm not sure how they could look visually. :-)

Qbox entangled in stripes
    Qbox with a coundown clock (maybe connect it with the Evil Trojan and add some explosives :P)
    Bunnyhopping Qbox with a quake style axe

Quote:

Qbox and the Green Cow

Quote:

What Green Cow? Why green? :-)

Qbox as a bartender http://www.drinksmixer.com/cat/3278/ Moo :)
  • »11.11.09 - 11:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    _ThEcRoW
    Hello, those cd covers look really good!!!. Are there available somewhere for download and creating one for individual use, or are a private project?. I would certainly make my own if these images are available!!!
    Thanks in advance!!!
    Mac Mini G4 1,4ghz 1gb ram & MorphOS 3.11
  • »29.11.09 - 14:02