FireFox on MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    Hi

What do you think about opening bounty for a FireFox port for MorphOS? Worth of trying?
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »19.10.09 - 20:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    pampers
    @ Zylesea:

Yep, i meant HW accelerated Cairo port.
    MorphOS 3.x
  • »20.10.09 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Wait for a offical swcdec release and hardware accelerated libcairo, then there is no
    > need for firefox at all.

You really think a Firefox port would automagically have Flash support and hardware accelerated UI?

No, not if it is done Hyperion.
    They just port rest of Unix to Aos4.
    regards
    eliot
  • »20.10.09 - 17:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > There's nothing Firefox does that OWB does not once it gets flash support.

A ported Firefox as is wouldn't have Flash support either.

true

> The plugin api is there and maybe (I've no idea if it's doable) Fab could make it
    > firefox compatible

AFAIK it's NPAPI compatible as well already. But that doesn't change the fact that plugins must be ported, which is only possible for open source ones.

also true

> and if not he'd come up with his own versions of the most popular FFox plugins.

Which ones would that be apart from Flash? Java?

what I meant is, well, not ported if not open source obviously, but - for example - some ad blocker or script blockeretc , things Fab (I believe) could code on his own.
  • »20.10.09 - 20:34
    Crumb
    Having Firefox would be nice although OWB does it very well ATM. I guess that when the Friedens get it working on OS4 someone may do a port to MorphOS. I think most of dependencies are already ported. nspr & xpcom would need some experience with MorphOS but most of gui part should be directly portable.

The only amiga stuff that would be ok would be ARexx, choosing screen, using MIME to open downloaded stuff if you doubleclick it as if you were using ambient, clipboard support and ASL requesters. Perhaps fonts preferences. Rewritting the full GUI using Reaction or MUI would be a complete mistake IMHO. Just look at Mozilla menus... Mozilla menus seem to be better than intuition menus (e.g. allow multiple levels with drag'n'drop, pictures...).
  • »20.10.09 - 22:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @vulture
    Quote:

what I meant is, well, not ported if not open source obviously, but - for example - some ad blocker or script blockeretc , things Fab (I believe) could code on his own.

Just for the record, OWB already as AdBlock support, even if the configuration is only done through a config file, at the moment.

As for Firefox, i don't doubt the GUI itself has many more features than OWB's, the contrary would be quite a shame for Firefox (a whole team coding on it since years, unlike a few months for me alone on OWB). So, from that POV, it would be nice to have it.

Also, like said in other places already, porting Firefox is certainly not that hard at all. Now it just remains to be seen if it's worth the effort.
  • »20.10.09 - 22:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> and if not he'd come up with his own versions of the most popular FFox plugins.

>> Which ones would that be apart from Flash? Java?

> what I meant is, well, not ported if not open source obviously, but - for example -
    > some ad blocker or script blockeretc , things Fab (I believe) could code on his own.

Don't confuse plugins and addons. These are different things in Firefox context.
  • »21.10.09 - 04:45
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @itix

That's a pity. But it's great that you have a replacement in the form of Mac Mini ;)

@pampers
    Seems that FireFox won't change anything it's better to focus on Mac Mini Wifi support or Cairo and Flash.
    OWB is progressing really nice. It's fast and stable. Compliments to Fab of course.
  • »21.10.09 - 06:29
    Tcheko
    OWB is webkit based like Safari browser from MacOS X. Why bother with FF ? Just to say we have FF on MorphOS ?

Better spend time having hardware accelerated cairo IMO.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »21.10.09 - 06:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

eliot wrote:

port rest of Unix to Aos4.

Exactly. EVIL.
  • »21.10.09 - 08:20
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @Zylesea

Quote:

Ouch - bad luck, sorry to hear about your Pegasos failure. But hopefully your HD didn't die with that Pegasos failure... Should be rather easy to retrieve that data from the Peg's hdd (like getting a 3.5" usb case and attach that one to your spare MorphOS maschine).

I hope so ;-) It seems that problems started with IDE (I could get it booting by disconnecting 2nd IDE port) but then it failed again.

Anyway my cairo.library port is not HW accelerated.

Btw. if I was going to port FF I probably would wrap it into MUI application like I have done with Frodo for example. It would not use MUI gadgetry but code is easier to manage and you can take an advantage of MUI services (Rexx etc).
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.10.09 - 08:29
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    Yes please, firefox is a must
  • »21.10.09 - 09:12
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Why ?

As someone who worked on the Gecko's internals I really see no point in porting this messy, undocumented bloat. We already have a browser that is close to being a perfect replacement (OWB just needs to get working cookies ;)
  • »21.10.09 - 09:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the question was IIRC not a Cairo Port but a *hardware accelerated* Cairo port.

itix didn't mean a hardware accelerated Cairo, as we now know. So my links were given in the right context ;-P
  • »21.10.09 - 12:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BalrogSoft
    I don't see what are the benefits to have Firefox on MorphOS, since we have OWB, in my Efika works really good for the machine specs, and most common webs i usually visit, works perfectly on MorphOS and OWB, webkit is one of the best html rendering engines. OWB rules! thanks to Fab! The only thing i miss with last release 1.5, was the lite version.

[ Edited by BalrogSoft on 2009/10/21 15:28 ]
    Balrog Software - AmigaSkool.net
    Mac Mini - MorphOS 3.8 - G4 1.5Ghz - Ati 9200 64 Mb
    Efika - MorphOS 3.6 - Ati 9200 64Mb - 80 Gb HD
    Amiga 1200D - OS 3.9 - Blizzard 603e/240mh
  • »21.10.09 - 13:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Now that OWB can spoof as other browsers I can use my online banking, so personally I don't see the need for a Firefox port. Better to keep improving OWB imho. Fab's doing a terrific job and no bounty required :-p
    Hardware accelerated Cairo sounds good though. How difficult to implement?
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »21.10.09 - 14:00
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

Why ?

Why not?

It's an easy port and firefox is one of the best and famous browsers, much better than owb so why not gather some money for a bounty?

People laught at me and think i have some kind of retarded computer when i tell them that i use OWB as a browser because it's totaly unknown and when they read about it at sandlanbs homepage they see: "OWB is a web browser designed for CE devices such as mobile phones, portable media players, Set Top Boxes and TV decoders, and any other consumer electronic products" ...WTF

So lets do this port now.
    If i could port firefox i would port it.
    So if there are any coders that can do it, let him do it and give him some money.

[ Edited by SMF on 2009/10/21 18:35 ]

[ Edited by Genesi on 2009/10/23 14:46 ]
  • »21.10.09 - 16:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    Its an easy port ?? I would say focus on OWB since it is working and allready very good ...

Who cares about the name ?
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »21.10.09 - 16:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ SMF

Since the (not yet finished and of unknown quality) OS4 version of FF must not be called Firefox but Timberwolf, you only can say it is *based* on Firefox/Gecko. Tell those ppl who laugh at OWB it is Webkit based. It's kind of a "Safari for MorphOS". I guess that is not much worse namedropping than calling Timberwolf Firefox.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2009/10/21 18:59 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »21.10.09 - 16:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    @Zylesea

I dont hear anyone say that debian dont have firefox because iceweasle or whatever it's called is firefox.

OWB is quite okey but the browser history has proven that we must have choices because sometimes the development stalls and when that happends we can have firefox, or if firefox stalls we have OWB

So when can we start collecting money for this bounty?
  • »21.10.09 - 17:42
    analogkid
    As many, i also don't see the point in porting Firefox to MorphOS, OWB is good enough, and there seems to be enough room for future improvements. Fab has done (and is doing) a really great job on OWB, i always liked the handling and user experience of IBrowse (apart from page rendering...), and it's great to see that OWB is getting some kind of a "modern IBrowse". And tell Efika-users that they should use of kind of monsters like Firefox on their little machine...
  • »21.10.09 - 18:18
  • SMF
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    SMF
    @Analogkid

You will still be able to use OWB after firefox has been ported and those poor efika users will also be able to choose.
  • »21.10.09 - 18:24
    Jambalah
    In his interview (you can read it on Obligement website) Fab declared that three months would be enough to port a "minimal" version of FF. But I think.... How many improvements he could do to OWB during the same amount of time?
    Yes FF is a must and I'd like it. But I'd like much more OWB could become a must. Actually, for me, it is!

@ Itix
    Sorry to hear that... A question: Your Peg had any strange behaviour before it crashed?!? A couple of times my Peg didn't find IDE peripherals..

[ Edited by Jambalah on 2009/10/21 20:43 ]
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »21.10.09 - 18:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @Jambalah

First it just froze while booting to MorphOS. I could see MorphOS logo but when it attempted to open Ambient screen it just froze. The same when booting from CD until I disconnected stuff from 2nd IDE port and I could boot MorphOS properly from CD again. But after couple of attempts it died completely and can not get OF prompt anymore.

With null modem cable I was able to see it is freezing when configuring legacy drives.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »21.10.09 - 20:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BalrogSoft
    @SMF

I think that people will not laught when people are using iPhone/iPod saffari, i work with mobile phones, on our company we have some prototypes of upcoming touch-screen mobiles, and the browsers are really horrible, iPhone uses Webkit, and OWB too. I have an iPod Touch 2G and i must to say that is the best netsurfing experience on mobile phone, and i don't appreciate Apple too much, i developed for iPhone, and i don't like Mac OS X.

[ Edited by BalrogSoft on 2009/10/21 22:07 ]

[ Edited by BalrogSoft on 2009/10/21 22:09 ]

[ Edited by BalrogSoft on 2009/10/21 22:46 ]
    Balrog Software - AmigaSkool.net
    Mac Mini - MorphOS 3.8 - G4 1.5Ghz - Ati 9200 64 Mb
    Efika - MorphOS 3.6 - Ati 9200 64Mb - 80 Gb HD
    Amiga 1200D - OS 3.9 - Blizzard 603e/240mh
  • »21.10.09 - 20:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @Itix

ask some electronic technician friend to check out the capacitors of the cpu card. There's also a component in the motherboard that usually dies, ask mr Brana about it on IRC. You could also try out another PSU.

@thread

I think that having various browsers would be good as sometimes one browser refuses to open certain page and the other opens it without problems. I know people who never uses Firefox and other who can't live without it... it's a matter of personal preferences I think. I like Firefox and I think that even if the port is more cpu hungry than OWB it may be useful.

Fab has done a great job with his khtml browser and he's improving it each day more and more... it's the most advanced OWB port and I hope he continues improving it because it's a joy to use his OWB port.

[ Edited by Crumb on 2009/10/22 11:36 ]
  • »22.10.09 - 09:31
    Profile Visit Website