Morphed Macs shop
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Hello,

I tried this at least three times: to find a dealer who has refurbished PPC Minis to sell. They were discontinued exactly four years ago AFAIR but there definitely MUST be ones. Another option - outlets or dealers that build new Mini sets out of used parts.

Say if MorphTeam thinks of future machines already, there it is - here and now - a need for a professional MorphMac www shop delivering
    - refurbished Minis
    - Mini parts
    - used Minis
    - preinstallation
    - merchandise (covers, stickers)
    - supported peripherials
    - broken Mini fix service
    - Mini upgrade service

Someone can do it now or just leave a space for the existing Amiga dealers. I think either is good, just want to say the sooner the better. I just hope the figures will hit the numbers rapidly making it happen out of the blue :-)

Or maybe it is just a matter of an email sending to some authorized apple dealer to include this in its offer?
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »04.10.09 - 16:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > They were discontinued exactly four years ago AFAIR

More like exactly 3 2/3 years :-)
  • »04.10.09 - 16:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @DiskDoctor

They come up on ebay from time to time and local for sale sites. I had no problem securing two 1.5GHz PPC Mac Minis locally. For less than 1/2 the cost of my Peg-2 I might add.

[ Edited by HammerD on 2009/10/4 12:04 ]
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »04.10.09 - 17:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DiskDoctor
    Quote:

HammerD wrote:
    @DiskDoctor

They come up on ebay from time to time and local for sale sites. I had no problem securing two 1.5 PPC Mac Minis locally.

You're in Canada, man, Macs aren't such popular in Eastern Block, at least they weren't at their PPC glory time. I live in Poland which has 40 M inhabitatns. Now I searched locally and got only two G4 Minis...

OK but then you are forced to hunt for one, don't have that spec range option, also person not knowing the pricing scheme might be prone to pricing fluctuations on auctions. I try to use local ebay for most of my relevant shopping / dumping but always use buy/sell now option. Most things have their stable market value, just have to wait.

Besides think of people saving for macs. How much should they save and assunimg they got the amount, when are they gonna get the Mini?

I myself would surely spend some margin on not having to deal with such uncertainities.

One more - remember that you always take some risk on ebay - both credibility and condition. That's again, worth some extra money to secure oneself, at least in my case it would.
    Was: Mac Mini PPC running MorphOS 2.4
    Now: Amiga Forever 2010 with AmiKit and AmigaSYS
    Not used: Icaros Desktop 1.2 (reason: no wifi)
    Planned soon: an OS4 system
    Shortly then: a MOS notebook (wifi is a must-have)
  • »04.10.09 - 17:14
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    metalmac
    This is actualy not a bad idea!
    PowerBook G4@1.5Ghz, 1Gb ram, MorphOS 3.12
    Amiga 1200, Blizzard 1220/4@28Mhz, 500Mb HD, 6mb RAM, Workbench 3.1
    AspireOne, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb HD, Icaros Desktop
    AmigaOne 500, 2Gb ram, AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
  • »04.10.09 - 17:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    This is actually a great idea, and someone (Ruud) already thought about it. Unless you want to have that shop a bit closer than (perhaps) UK where he comes from...
  • »04.10.09 - 18:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    Yes, this is exactly my plan. I already have some mini's in "stock" which I'm cleaning (inside and out) and generally checking over. I could offer them for sale now but I'm waiting for Morphos to be available for them so it can be preinstalled.

What I'm going to be offering:
    Mac mini's at the the lowest price possible (I don't intend to make a profit)
    Worldwide shipping at cost
    Upgrade service
    Merchandise/Stickers (? - Not sure)
    Parts/Memory (This will vary, depends what comes my way)

However I haven't got the time/expertise to do motherboard repairs. I have played around with some defective minis and got one working so I might be able to offer some insight upto a point.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »05.10.09 - 00:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    Ruud:
    If you don't make a profit you will most likely
    get tired of your project.
  • »06.10.09 - 20:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    @ironfist

I enjoy taking machines apart and setting them up/installing the OS etc. so I think it will be a while before I get tired of it. If I get little or no interest in the service I'm offering then I'll get fed up very quickly indeed. But we'll see, MorphOS for Mac mini isn't even out yet so we'll have to wait until then to find out whether it's all worthwhile.
  • »07.10.09 - 00:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    What kind of Mac Mini should one get anyway?

I find 1.25 GHz and 1.42GHz versions. Are there other variants or other differences one should consider? Around here it seems fairly easy to find them, and the price doesn't seem to differ much, so I might as well get the 'best' option.
  • »14.10.09 - 16:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    1.5ghz mac minis with 64mb VRAM are the best model. 1gb of ram is the most you can have so you might as well have that too ;-)
  • »14.10.09 - 16:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I just noticed that most people selling 1.5 GHz Mac Minis advertize them as 1.42 GHz, because that's what the box says. So the machine I had been looking at actually has 1.5GHz and 64 MB VRAM. :)
  • »14.10.09 - 22:29