Decision Time!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    The time has come to make your reservations for hotel room, banquet tickets (travel arrangements?) to the AmiWest 2009 show in Sacramento, California.

The group organizing the show has been successful in obtaining a great low rate for the rooms of only $59 per night. The banquet tickets are $29 each and the banquet will occur on Saturday evening between the end of the first (official) day of the show and the second day of the show.

On a related note, I have been asked to find a speaker to provide a seminar for MorphOS during the show, or I will be forced into preparing some kind of informative presentation myself, which I am ill equipped to do with my limited knowledge and experience. So ..... will someone please step up to the plate and volunteer to attend AmiWest 2009 and give this short seminar on MorphOS and save me the embarrassment of trying to do it myself.

As I have stated before, I will have my Efika there running MorphOS2.3 for anyone that wants to look at it the entire time the show is running, except the time it is being used as one of the game stations for the Amiga Game competition. My friend Chris will have his Efika there as well, but although he is a smart guy, he has had his Efika even less time than I have had mine, so it would not be fair to ask him to do the seminar either.

Magnetic .................. Aciil .................. Anybody???

If no one can attend (as I understand that most MorphOS users live in the UK, or other parts of the EU) could any of you volunteer to help me prepare a FAQ of recent MorphOS changes, improvements and developments relevant to version 2.3, as well as a list of all sources for MorphOS native applications and games.

I know I asked for similar help for last year's AmiWest show, well here I am again, not much smarter in the ways of the Butterfly than I was last year, but planning to change that in the next 12 months.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/9/17 21:35 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »18.09.09 - 05:32
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    I would start from MorphOS 2.3 readme file...
  • »18.09.09 - 06:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    release notes :

http://www.morphos.de/releasenotes-2.3.html
  • »18.09.09 - 12:30
  • Just looking around
    sundown
    @all

If you enter the Capitol City Hotel on this site http://www.reservetravel.com./ you can get a room for $53.10 plus taxes/fees, about $63.41 a night total. The more you pay for a room, the higher the taxes.
  • »19.09.09 - 05:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    I'd love to attend but it's a bit too far for me to travel at the moment.
    If I were doing the seminar I would highlight the power and flexibility of Ambient and MUI 4. The ability to customise and change virtually anything and everything to the way you like it is IMHO one of the continuing strengths of Morphos.
    The introduction of OWB1.4 as a standard part of the Morphos installation is probably the most obvious change (if not the most important change since the last release). It would be a good idea to demo it as there is no other browser on any Amiga like platform which is as advanced.
    If you want any other ideas (probably not all good ones ;-) ) send me a PM.
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »20.09.09 - 14:08
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Jambalah
    You can even add:
    Ambient has MIME types support for filetype recognition - more actions per file (doubleclick, menu, drag&drop, ...), image preview, image view, screenbars etc.
    In addition MorphOS MUI 4 (Magic User Interface) is more powerful, MorphOS has very nice design, PNG icons and graphics, MorphOS Poseidon USB 4 drivers (USB 2.0 support) are better and much more. MorphOS supports even OS4 apps via OS4emu.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »20.09.09 - 19:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Thanks for the replies Jambalah and Ruud.

The one thing I DO NOT want to do is to stir up the old RED vs BLUE wars with my presentation, so I won't be up there saying "Look, this is why MorphOS is better than AmigaOS4.x".

I will try to present all the strengths and advantages of MorphOS, but it will be in a way the viewers can make their own minds about which is better.

Thanks for the links and the suggestions. I will try to put them to good use. If there are any MOS developers reading this thread that would like to have ANYTHING official stated at the show, and I mean anything the team would like to share, or even just a statement the team would like to give to the mostly AmigaOS4.x users that run and attend the show, please send it to be via PMail or my email address.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »20.09.09 - 22:14
    Jambalah
    Agree, no intentions to flame! Sorry...
    I only meant to use that points to show some of the nice and powerful specs MorphOS has.
    With Mime and MUI you will already show that and make a good presentation.
    Mixing with other things, like that Ruud suggested, should result in a complete overview.
    Don't forget some graphic and "coreographic" elements... :-)
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »21.09.09 - 07:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ruud
    @amigadave

No you definately don't want to stir any of that old nonsense. I suggest just saying what Morphos has/does without mentioning any other OS or maybe just saying what it offers over WB3.1.
    It would also be worth mentioning that the Efika is only a G2 class machine and significantly slower even than a Sam 667mhz. I know some say it isn't but I have both and the Sam is noticiably quicker even though it's running an OS that when benchmarked on the same hardware as Morphos is slower in almost all respects (definately don't mention that though! :-) ).
    "We live, we die, we laugh, we cry"
  • »23.09.09 - 11:31
    Jambalah
    Indeed! Ruud explained what I meant much better then I could!
    Thanks!!
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »23.09.09 - 12:11