The new Efika MX is up for sale
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Power familiy (from mobile phones to Super Computers)

Mobile phone with Power Architecture CPU? Where?
  • »29.08.09 - 14:11
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

Others might feel and fear a lot of things which may or may not be the result of fact-based rational thinking. In the end, what really matters is that you offer software that people like so much that they are willing to buy / use it. It is really as simple as that.

When people do not actually like the current product offering enough to justify the expense and need a lot of promises regarding the future to lure them into a purchase, they are most likely best advised to just stay away for the time being and perhaps reevaluate their decision in the future in case they are still interested.

Agree
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »29.08.09 - 14:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    kolla
    Quote:

Neko wrote:
    @CISC

MorphOS does not need to retain compatibility. Do you want to know what Freescale did when we told them we had an OS that had m68k compatibility on the Pegasos?

They laughed.

Strangely enough, Freescale lists all their m68k chips as active/available, allthough sometimes with insane prices - but the 7447 used in pegasos2 is listed as .. dead :-)

The rest of your post, regarding morphos and legacy... sounds like me in 2002 ;-)
    -- kolla
  • »30.08.09 - 23:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

...don't make the impression to me as if i.MX could currently replace each and every MPC55xx/56xx

Well, if it was so, it would just mean that freescale has done it job right.

Sorry for the cheap shot, just couldn't resist.

PowerPC deserved better. Who knows, perhaps the "Amiga curse" will only end when its endless stream of bastards descendants forget about their Motorola heritage.
  • »31.08.09 - 09:11
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > if it was so, it would just mean that freescale has done it job
    > right. [...] PowerPC deserved better.

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Do you think ARM (i.MX) should replace Power Architecture completely within Freescale? Or do you think Power Architecture should remain as a Freescale supported architecture?
  • »31.08.09 - 10:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

Or do you think Power Architecture should remain as a Freescale supported architecture?

Sorry, cheap joke, and badly worded from my part. What I pretended to mean is that, if freescale had ARM substitutes for every PowerPC part, it would mean they had done their job right. In my opinion, freescale isnow a good provider, and I blame them for many failures in Amiga related history. Which qualifies me as some kind of ungrateful bastard, but I can't help thinking that way.
    Back to my "joke" I realize it's not funny at all, even if I got the meaning right. Andreas, do you have a category for stupid posts in your knowledge database? And most of all, why you never answer, to the several times I've asked you about how you can organize all those URLs you have?
    What are we going to do the day you are not here?
  • »31.08.09 - 12:35
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Power familiy (from mobile phones to Super Computers)

Mobile phone with Power Architecture CPU? Where?

PowerPC mobile phone 8-)
  • »31.08.09 - 16:47
  • »31.08.09 - 17:22
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      ironfist
      Phone with extractable keyboard? Wasn't that what phones looked like in 2007?
    • »31.08.09 - 21:33
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      discreetfx
      Thought LimePC was toast?
      DiscreetFX
      Making your
      Digital Films
      More Effective!
    • »31.08.09 - 22:08
      Profile Visit Website
    • Caterpillar
      Caterpillar
      Fransexy
      Quote:

ironfist wrote:
      Phone with extractable keyboard? Wasn't that what phones looked like in 2007?

2009 nokia phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia-phones-1.php up to 6 phones with extractable keyboard

2009 samsung phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung-phones-9.php up to 4 phones with extractable keyboard

2009 LG phones: http://www.gsmarena.com/lg-phones-20.php up to 2 phones with extractable keyboard

I have to continue? :roll:
    • »31.08.09 - 23:55
    • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
      stephen_robinson
      Even more off subject-

http://www.drobe.co.uk/article.php?id=2537&nc=19

RiscOS for the new Efika?

That is a very, very good thing.
    • »01.09.09 - 19:36
      Velcro_SP
      |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 06:00 ]
      Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
    • »02.09.09 - 00:28
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Zylesea
      @ Velcro_SP

I doubt there is much activity around the LimePC. Even if you go to google.cn there aren't that many hits, google products china lead to no hit at all (at least that page which I assume is google products of google.cn). If there were plenty of 5121 devices shipped in China you would find something about that on the net. After the handful of Cherrypals there came not much new from the 5121 side - unfortunately I'd like to add.
      I think the 5121 train has left...

Regarding an Efika with integrated gfx: There were plans to make a 5200 based Efika that comes with an additional soldered Volari gfx chip - but this plan was given up. Later the 5121 plan emerged, and we all know it failed for Genesi.

--

What I would really like to know is what's the issue with NEC's 8610 redtail board. It really seemed pretty nice, but except from a youtube video and a few posts at powerdeveloper there was only one Japanese site with information about that board.
      --
      http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
      ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
    • »02.09.09 - 01:08
      Profile Visit Website
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      jcmarcos
      Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

I doubt there is much activity around the LimePC.

Me too. If they are able to ship products, why wouldn't they be able to do something MUCH easier, such as updating their web site?

Quote:

I think the 5121 train has left...

Me too. Both pity and fact, in that order. perhaps we hoped too much from that chip, with its inherent internal bottlenecks. Now, if somebody was able to pick a CherryPal, and hack an accelerated DIU driver...

Quote:

What I would really like to know is what's the issue with NEC's 8610 redtail board. It really seemed pretty nice, but except from a youtube video and a few posts at powerdeveloper there was only one Japanese site with information about that board.

Indeed! It's the only MPC 8610 computer I've seen that isn't freescale's evaluation board (which Genesi's Peter Czanik loved!). THAT was a good looking CPU. Shame on freescale, dumping most PowerPC division.
      I hope Andreas Wolf could come up with some links about the RedTail...
    • »02.09.09 - 09:48
      Velcro_SP
      |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 05:58 ]
    • »02.09.09 - 10:56
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      Zylesea
      @ Velcro_SP

Of course the entire universe gets not indexed by google, and there are things in RL that bary doesn't exist on the net. But don't you agree that if the LimePC would have really hit the market already ppl would leave some traces out there on the www? I mean we don't speak about fishing sets or such but about cheap computers with the main aim to *connect ppl to the internet*. And this the important issue here: The devices target the internet, but still you barely don't find them on the net. Doesn't that sound kind of fishy..? I highly doubt there were serious numbers sold.
      --
      http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
      ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
    • »02.09.09 - 11:34
      Profile Visit Website
      Velcro_SP
      |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 26.04.2011 - 05:59 ]
    • »02.09.09 - 13:35
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Neko
      @hooligan:

Quote:

.. And nothing to do with underpowered and lowspecced hardware? :)

Umm.. I ran MorphOS on my A1200 in 128MB with a 200MHz 603e and a 8MB Permedia2 graphics board.

Tell me somehow that the Efika is underpowered compared to the PowerUP versions of MorphOS (especially with the added bonus of a 128MB graphics card, DDR RAM, 16-bit 48KHz audio, S/PDIF)?

If the Pegasos replaced your 256MB 233MHz 604e A4000-PUP monsters, the Efika took the place of your A1200 which could never get that far. We really got you covered for hardware, and brought out hardware for those people who said that the Pegasos (at 500 EUR) was too expensive.
      Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
      Developer Relations
      Product Development Analyst
    • »02.09.09 - 13:41
      Profile Visit Website
    • Order of the Butterfly
      Order of the Butterfly
      Neko
      @Velcro_SP

Quote:

Quote:

Nonetheless, I wish you luck with your diminishing market.

Neko, wow. Those and your other comments are harsh words for MorphOS users.

You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs, I always say.

Quote:

I don't agree with your position that a PPC Mac mini release of MorrphOS is a poor strategic choice, just because it is a second-hand market and one has to go to an online auction site or some other second-hand seller.

Let's be clear here: the Mac Mini was a great strategic choice, however for a sustainable market it should have been ported and been working *at the release of the Mac Mini* and not still in progress 2 years after Apple have vowed never to touch Power Architecture ever again.

That point was about halfway through the Pegasos' lifespan.

Right now, it is not a SUSTAINABLE market. Great idea, 4 and a half years too late.

Quote:

We looked at eBay yesterday and there were 39 to 45 Mac mini PPCs, most or all apparently in very nice shape. Each more powerful than the most powerful Pegasos.

And when you buy those 45? Will 45 more pop up to replace it? How long will that continue?

Quote:

You said Freescale laughed about 68k compatibility, but they probably didn't understand the point. MorphOS has the Abox to run Amiga software and bring existing developers along in a familiar environment.

Developers do not need the m68k emulation to do what they need to do. Users are the only people who should be concerned that it runs old apps. Developers would just recompile it for the new architecture.

It surprises me that you would go so far as to tout the Mac Mini as the future of MorphOS, but you didn't follow the Apple-Intel transition at all - developers got boxes first, they recompiled all their apps with one click using XCode, then it got released, and 6 months later half the updated apps in the world no longer worked on that OS release anyway (Mac developers are really not concerned about staying compatible with anything but the last release - if you don't have some kind of Leopard right now, you're screwed :)

As weird as this sounds, it is a sustainable market.

Quote:

Even if you found some Freescale person who laughed because you didn't explain it correctly.

No, we explained that We Have The Technology and they basically said that it was the most pointless technology ever. Freescale's entire development strategy with m68k->PPC was give people the ability to compile PowerPC code. Actually running it natively? Absolutely none of their customers have this desire, at all. It negates every benefit of the PowerPC architecture and new operating system technologies to demote apps to running in an emulator, even if it *IS* a fancy real-time native-performance caching JIT.

Quote:

Maybe we can do some head-to-head tests.

That implies MorphOS gets ported in the first place.
      Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
      Developer Relations
      Product Development Analyst
    • »02.09.09 - 14:03
      Profile Visit Website
    • Paladin of the Pegasos
      Paladin of the Pegasos
      jcmarcos
      Matt, it's just that we don't like the things you say, not that they aren't true.

I guess the big difference would be that the MorphOS team had ten times the resources it has. This way a release for a new computer would get done in a month. So, instead of discussing, we would be all too busy testing or favourite operating system in every computer known to man.

(Fantasy has always been a dangerous drug for amigans - the worst of it is that it's FREE)
    • »02.09.09 - 15:53
      hooligan
      Quote:

Neko wrote:
      @hooligan:

Umm.. I ran MorphOS on my A1200 in 128MB with a 200MHz 603e and a 8MB Permedia2 graphics board.

Tell me somehow that the Efika is underpowered compared to the PowerUP versions of MorphOS (especially with the added bonus of a 128MB graphics card, DDR RAM, 16-bit 48KHz audio, S/PDIF)?

Doesn't really matter if you ran MorphOS on a 4 dollar pocketcalculator, it doesn't make Efika any more suitable for desktop-use.

If I would have wanted to compare it against something, I would have compared it against Pegasos1 or Pegasos2, and my point would still be valid , even against the lowspecced Peg1.

Quote:

If the Pegasos replaced your 256MB 233MHz 604e A4000-PUP monsters, the Efika took the place of your A1200 which could never get that far. We really got you covered for hardware, and brought out hardware for those people who said that the Pegasos (at 500 EUR) was too expensive.

Pegasos didnt actually replace anything in my case, I used to own a quite souped up A1200 which was getting dustlayers before I eventually sold it. I returned to scene by purchasing a Pegasos1, which I later upgraded to Pegasos2. I would never, NEVER go less than Peg1... even if I was given one for free. Doesnt really matter if Efika costs 99 or 9.99 if its not up to tasks needed these days, does it? I happen to know several people who thinks the same so I am not alone on this.

That said, there are probably several very happy Efika-owners. Or actually ... not, as you yourself said the MOS/Efika-sales were very low.
      www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
    • »02.09.09 - 16:08
      Profile Visit Website
      Kronos
      @Neko

Truth is without a proper buisness-plan (including lots of funding) an ARM-port makes just as much sense as a x86-port. And once such a port would be done you'd still be lacking any decent SW since some stupp isn't portable for various reasons.

Another point is, while you ditch the 68k-legacy-support, why not completly overhaul the APIs to modern standards ?

And if you do that anyway, why nor reuse existing (open-source) libraries ?
      -> YALD ...

Or in other words, why would anybody (Genesi) use MorphOS, RiscOS or anyother ObscureOS on an ARM-netbook when "normal" OSes provide so much more. Unless you can present that in a convincing form to the MorphOS-team all talk about an ARM-port is futile.
    • »02.09.09 - 16:31
      Kronos
      Quote:

Neko wrote:

Quote:

We looked at eBay yesterday and there were 39 to 45 Mac mini PPCs, most or all apparently in very nice shape. Each more powerful than the most powerful Pegasos.

And when you buy those 45? Will 45 more pop up to replace it? How long will that continue?

The MacMini was what the A500 was 15 years before and those can still be had from EBay without problems. So no, there will never (atleast not in the next 20 years) a shortage of used Macs it's just wether it will be considered good value for money and if MorphOS-users might want to run tasks to heavy for a G4.
    • »02.09.09 - 17:04
    • Yokemate of Keyboards
      Yokemate of Keyboards
      amigadave
      Genesi and their products no longer have anything to do with MorphOS, so it makes me wonder why Neko posts messages here any longer?

Other than the obvious reason to advertise new Genesi products and try to stir up support from users to persuade the MorphOS Development Team to port MorphOS to what ever Genesi happens to be selling at the moment.

His comments that attempt to discourage and put down the decision of the MorphOS Development Team to port to the MacMini seem to me to be lame and very biased, though he does throw in enough actual facts to make them seem more believable to any that can't see through the intentions behind the comments.

Having MorphOS ported to ANY new hardware will be a plus to the community and the team selling the licenses. But just because the G4 MacMini is long discontinued does not automatically mean it is the death knell of MorphOS, or that it was a mistake to spend the time to do it. It is just a step forward in performance that was MOST LIKELY the easiest and most logical step to make, at the time the decision was made about which port should be done next.

Who knows which hardware platform the team will choose to work on next? Maybe it will be a Mac laptop that has the most similarities to the current port to the MacMini, and as such the easiest to complete quickly, or perhaps it will be something completely different, such as an ARM architecture.

What ever it is, many will disagree and second guess the team for the direction they choose and I don't doubt that if it is not a Genesi product, Neko will have more discouraging rhetoric to share with us about the mistake the team is making and how it will kill off any chance for MorphOS to survive.

Perhaps MorphOS is not "Sustainable" no matter what hardware it is ported to in the long run. Nobody really knows, but only the few remaining of us really care anymore.

Edit: @Kronos, although I like your spirit, I think Neko and many others could shoot dozens of holes in your A500 : MacMini comparison. For one, I doubt that Mac users will be so fond of their G4 MacMini's that they will be trying to keep them alive 20 years after they were first released. Also, in today's society, too many computers, including Macs, are going into the trash when they are no longer useful, and the G4 MacMini will very soon no longer be useful "AS A MAC", though it will do nicely as a MorphOS machine. The problem arises in that 99% of all G4 MacMini owners will never EVER hear about saving their little outdated computers to use MorphOS on, unless we get the word out and make it known that they are worth SOMETHING to our small (tiny) community. Then, instead of having 99% of the old G4 MacMini owners throw theirs in the trash in a few years, only 95% will throw them in the trash. I think I should start some free ads accepting donations of all G4 Macs for recycling to try and save a few from the landfill.

[ Edited by amigadave on 2009/9/2 20:40 ]
      MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
    • »03.09.09 - 03:49