MorphOS 2.2 or AmigaOS 4.1?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    Huh, I was so long time out of here but I read about AmigaOS 4.1 for Pegasos... so which choice? MorphOS 2.2 at 150,00 euro or AmigaOS 4.1 at 124.95 euro? :-?
  • »27.02.09 - 06:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    am... you're on MORPHzone : )
  • »27.02.09 - 06:42
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    depends... morphos is a bit more advanced and better working with pegasos2 hardware, amigaos... is amigaos :)

bye, MarK.

ps: any possibility to test amigaos4 on peg2 for free? i mean a demo?
  • »27.02.09 - 07:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    MorphOS 2.2 is free to try. AmigaOS4 is 124.95 eur to try.
  • »27.02.09 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

ossian1961 wrote:
    Huh, I was so long time out of here but I read about AmigaOS 4.1 for Pegasos... so which choice? MorphOS 2.2 at 150,00 euro or AmigaOS 4.1 at 124.95 euro? :-?

Here is a little cut n' paste from various posts, authors, threads and sites:

The Amiga compatibility is better in MorphOS than in OS4, but then it's a matter of taste how important this feature is for you personally. To me it's essential.

The MorphOS desktop (Ambient) is light years ahead of any Workbench. Ambient is closer to Dopus Magellan in functionality, workbench is closer to... well, workbench, which is the reason to why Magellan came into existence.

MorphOS has a better organized and centralized prefs system. There are much more system settings to be made these days than back in the old days, and having the prefs divided in the old-school Amiga way (and Windows way) is unnecessarily messy.

MorphOS's shell is much more advanced than OS4.1's

The integrated USB stack of MorphOS (Poseidon) is the best USB stack, period! It supports USB 2.0 and a great number of peripheral equipment (although there are some bugfixes that has been left overdue on the to-do list for some time, I think Hodges went on a long time holiday or something).

I think the printing system of MorphOS (Turboprint) is better than in OS4 (although I feel that printing isn't a prioritized feature in any of these two OS's).

Personally I like MUI4 (and *the many programs*(!) using it) much better than Reaction, and since the entire desktop is using this, as well as being the de facto standard on Amiga programs (for example most networking programs use it), it gives a beautiful, clean and consistent user experience to the whole system and opens up for some nice customization possibilities.

Filetype system is also great on MorphOS, you can define lots of actions for each file type (mimetype). What happens when you doubleclick file, drag&drop file, click it with RMB etc. You can have several different commands for each action. Filetypes are also arranged hierarchly and they inherit the options to lower levels. You can for example make certain actions happen for all pictures and then more exact options for each individual picture format. On OS4.1 you only can edit icon's default tool for each file type.

One nice touch in MorphOS is the "open" command, you can open files from shell with it. It looks operations from Ambient's mimetype settings and uses them to open files. For example "open test.avi" plays movie like it's configured in mimetypes, you don't have to remember what program or options would be needed for that file type.

Then there's lots of small details, like screen title bar modules in MorphOS. You can have things like date, cpu monitor, volume control, network indicators, info from music player etc in screen titlebar.. and the best thing is that it shows up in all screens! Not just on desktop screen. So if you have browser in separate screen, you can see and use all those things on it without need to open Ambient screen.

Overall look and eyecandy is also better in MorphOS. There's cool themes for windows, about 30 different screenblankers (even 3D accelerated demoscene effects), nice background pictures and other gfx, colorful png mouse pointers etc. They really should think these things with OS4 too.. now there's ugly yellowish backgrounds with weird purple scrollbar backgrounds as default theme.

I also like MorphOS's IControl prefs. You can define hotkeys for all kind of actions. For example window handling options are good. You can define mouse/keyboard actions to bring windows to front, send them to back, center them, maximize them, activate prev/next etc. You also can do certain things for whole window families. For example bring to front all open windows of certain application. In OS4.1 they're handled with traditional commodities and by default there isn't many.. basically it's old ClickToFront commodity.

OS4 has... well, it comes in a cardboard box with a boing ball and an Amiga logo! :-P ;-)

MorphOS also has a lot of nice features that you could learn about yourself by going here and click on the "Overview" and "Features" tabs. What's important to you? Think about that for a minute, and then go read about the features yourself. And then feel free to ask more specific questions!

In my eyes, MorphOS is the clear winner! And you can download it this instant, set it up, and try it out for free to explore its capabilities yourself. Chances are that you will find this fulfilling your NG Amiga needs perfectly, and there will be no reason to order OS4, pay its cost, wait for it, and then try it out.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »27.02.09 - 08:54
    Simon
    That's a cut from from various posts, authors, threads and sites ? Yeah right. Don't get me wrong, I use MorphOS2.2, but the above text makes OS4 look like it didn't evolve since workbench 1.3 ... not entirely fair in my opinion.

Anyhow ... the only fair answer you are going to get is to contact Peg2 owners that have both running on their machine. On this site it's a guy called stany ( you find him in the 'dutch" forum ) as far as I know. He is using MorphOS for a very long time and was OS4 betatester for Peg2.
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »27.02.09 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    WOW! Well, MorphOS seems the best choice and if I think that it came just for Pegasos machine... yeah, I'm agree with you all guyz 8-) :-D
    and thanx ya all !

[ Edited by ossian1961 on 2009/2/27 10:19 ]
  • »27.02.09 - 09:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    MorphOS for a couple of reasons.

It is faster, more stable and technically more matured, has a (IMHO) better look and the community is not build on unrealistc dreamers. That makes living sometimes a bit less convenient, but all this pure dreaming doesn't change the world. Nothing against dreams, they are a needed driving force, but dreaming too much can lead to strong some reality mismatches.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »27.02.09 - 09:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    amigagr
    exactly this ''Magellan'' feeling is the one that make me feel ''strange'' in morphos environment.
    looks like it's a matter of taste for someone to choose.
    A3040/25 AmigaOS 3.9
    A1260BPPC AmigaOS 3.9/4.0
    Sam440ep AmigaOS 4.1.2
    PegasosII/G3 AmigaOS 4.1.2/Morphos 2.6/DEBIAN 5.0.4/SUSE 11.1
    MacMini/1.5 MorphOS 2.6/OSX 10.5.8

If i am going to have bugs on my system,
    at least let me keep the latest version
  • »28.02.09 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
    CountRaven
    MorphOS.

Case closed.
  • »28.02.09 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    ossian1961
    hahahaha, ok, case closed :-D
  • »28.02.09 - 21:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    @Zylesea
    Quote:

...and the community is not build on unrealistc dreamers. That makes living sometimes a bit less convenient, but all this pure dreaming doesn't change the world. Nothing against dreams, they are a needed driving force, but dreaming too much can lead to strong some reality mismatches.

Excuse me but MorphOS is built entirely on an unrealistic dream. Why else would Ralph have even bothered? Remember the Q-Box and SMP, etc. Those are your roots. Those were the dreams that MorphOS was built on. Perhaps you personally are satisfied to give up on those dreams but don't drag the rest of the community with you.
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »28.02.09 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Quote:

ssolie wrote:
    Excuse me but MorphOS is built entirely on an unrealistic dream. Why else would Ralph have even bothered? Remember the Q-Box and SMP, etc. Those are your roots. Those were the dreams that MorphOS was built on. Perhaps you personally are satisfied to give up on those dreams but don't drag the rest of the community with you.

How do you know that this will never happen?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »28.02.09 - 22:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ ssolie

As I wrote, dreams are quite important and a needed driving force. But reality must not get lost out of seight. I guess all (or very close to all) Morphers know that MorphOS won't change the computer market tomorrow...
    Keeping the balance between dreams and reality is very important. And to my impression most Morphers have found this balance pretty well.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2009/2/28 23:14 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »28.02.09 - 22:13
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Quote:

Those are your roots.

Oh cut the crap please, maybe hype and bs is what gets you by, my reason for using MorphOS has always been about what I can actually do with it. Not some silly dreams or illusions about the future.
  • »28.02.09 - 22:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    "X" loves AmigaOS, "Y" loves MorphOS ... make up your own mind. Asking opinions on fora like Morphzone, Amigaworld, ... useless .

Altough the "RED Vs BLUE"-war isn't as intense as a few years ago ... it isn't over yet.

• »28.02.09 - 22:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Excuse me but MorphOS is built entirely on an unrealistic dream.

Working on improvements of your operating system is always better than trolling about competitors. It has also an advantage of not making a clown of yourself.
  • »01.03.09 - 07:20
    Profile Visit Website
    analogkid
    My choice is MorphOS, mainly because I like the look and feel of MUI. Futhermore, I got used to Ambient, and using the Workbench in this days makes me feel somehow "limited".
  • »01.03.09 - 07:49
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Oepabakkes wrote:
    "X" loves AmigaOS, "Y" loves MorphOS ... make up your own mind. Asking opinions on fora like Morphzone, Amigaworld, ... useless .

Asking about other peoples preferences and opinions isn't useless at all, as long as you don't stop thinking yourself. It's the only way you can build an impression without spending a lot of money and time to try out every single thing yourself, at least if you get a satisfying amount of responses.
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »01.03.09 - 09:15
    Simon
    I understand what you are saying, I ask a lot myself... especially when I just started using MorphOS.

But this particular question ? Asking wether you should buy OS4.1 or MorphOS 2.2 on Morphzone ? It's like buying a second hand PEG2 and ask the same question on Amigans.net... and the answers are very predictable and will always result in : "my one is bigger "

• »01.03.09 - 11:46
    Profile Visit Website
    serge
    Quote:

ossian1961 wrote:

Th best choise you can do is getting both .

MorphOS, is better in lot of points and I dont will write them another time cause lot of people did it before on this thread.

But, If you can "money question", You should buy both Morphos and AmigaOs.

AmigaOs have a little diferent point of view about Amiga phylosophy.

It's always nice to know and understand what the other alf Amiga community thinks and does. The best way to do it is having both systems.

If Morphos is better because faster, more compatible, better looking, having more serious applications "blender, pixel"
    Sometimes AmigaOs have some few applications that does not exists on Moprohs ( good FTPserver, X11 application, Samba port with gui long time before morphos, better font system, virtual memory)

This few things are better on AmigaOs side, but they do a very little list compared to all the better things existing on Morphos side.

@Amigagr:

do you know this

http://serge.free.free.fr/Pegasos/Workbench_+_MOS_1.4.2_about.JPG

http://serge.free.free.fr/Pegasos/Workbench_MOS_1.4.2.jpg

http://serge.free.free.fr/Pegasos/Workbench_prefs_+_MOS_prefs.jpg

[ Edited by serge on 2009/3/1 13:45 ]
  • »01.03.09 - 12:22
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    @Serge,

Quote:

Sometimes AmigaOs have some few applications that does not exists on Moprohs ( good FTPserver, X11 application, Samba port with gui long time before morphos, better font system, virtual memory)

Good FTPServer? Which one? The one based on ftpd that probably exists as well or runs just fine emulated on MorphOS?

Better font system? How is it better exactly?

Virtual memory? What's the point of a swap partition on a Pegasos where you do yourself a favour installing 2GB real memory instead of relying on slooow swap memory (and don't forget you can't address more than 2GB ram, swap or not)?
  • »01.03.09 - 13:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    @the original poster

If benchmarks mean anything to you, then check this thread where you can see MorphOS comprehensively beat Amiga OS. The relevant part is on page 8.
  • »01.03.09 - 14:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    @serge

Quote:

virtual memory

Virtual memory (memory which is swapped to the disk) should not be used on AmigaOS or MorphOS (it was supported in some 0.x versions). It can lead to unpredictable crashes at random times.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »01.03.09 - 14:24
    serge
    Quote:

Fab wrote:
    @Serge,

Quote:

Good FTPServer? Which one? The one based on ftpd that probably exists as well or runs just fine emulated on MorphOS?

Better font system? How is it better exactly?

Virtual memory? What's the point of a swap partition on a Pegasos where you do yourself a favour installing 2GB real memory instead of relying on slooow swap memory (and don't forget you can't address more than 2GB ram, swap or not)?

About FTP, OS4 have tftpserver and ftpd which are both on OS4depot and run just fine on OS4.

I never found a server or client working without lot of crashes on Morphos. Maybe it's me hte problem, but I runned scuccesfully this applications on OS4.

AboutThe system font, I think about the quality rendering with antialiasing fonts. The render is more sharpen and more clear on OS4.
    We can compare both OWB on OS4 and on MOS to see this effect. Unfortunatly, to see very clear text on MOS OWB I need do zoom and I dont zoom under OS4 At the same resolution and the same screen.
    I never get more than 1GO on my peg working fine.
    I never know Morphos accessing 2GO of ram. Maybe this is a MOS2 improvement. I though during a long time Morphosshould acces only less than 1.5GO.

I'm according with you, if I can acces 2Go, so I dont need anymore virtual memory for some years.
  • »01.03.09 - 16:23