Where to get hardware to run MorphOS?
  • Just looking around
    samalex
    Hi,

This might be a silly question, but where the heck can I find a system to run MorphOS? EBay is generally where I find older hardware, but there's no EFIKA or Pegasos system on there. Also the genesi-usa.com website has no place to purchase hardware directly.

How's the simplest way to get hardware that MorphOS will run on?

Thanks --

samalex
  • »25.02.09 - 20:35
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Nitro
    I just got another from Directron two weeks ago they should still have some.

http://www.directron.com/efika.html

[ Edited by Nitro on 2009/2/25 20:45 ]
  • »25.02.09 - 20:44
  • Just looking around
    samalex
    Hi Nitro,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at a few hardware vendors like newegg with no luck, but I didn't think to check the smaller shops like that. I did find one also at AxionTech, which is just a couple of hours drive from me.
    http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=79327

As for a case, I read a few places say the layout isn't mini-ITX compatible, so what type of case will work? Outside of that it looks like a standard ATX powersupply and IDE HD will work with it.

I really want to try out Morphos but given it won't be a primary system or probably even something I use alot I'd rather not drop tons of cash into it.

Thanks for the info and take care,

samalex
  • »25.02.09 - 21:59
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    I have this one :

http://www.efikaz.eu/
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »25.02.09 - 22:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

samalex wrote:
    Hi Nitro,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at a few hardware vendors like newegg with no luck, but I didn't think to check the smaller shops like that. I did find one also at AxionTech, which is just a couple of hours drive from me.
    http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=79327

Cool, I didn't know about that one. Did you find anyone else?

Maybe we could compile a little list so people won't have to search?

Quote:

As for a case, I read a few places say the layout isn't mini-ITX compatible, so what type of case will work? Outside of that it looks like a standard ATX powersupply and IDE HD will work with it.

I really want to try out Morphos but given it won't be a primary system or probably even something I use alot I'd rather not drop tons of cash into it.

Case? Who needs cases? ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »25.02.09 - 22:52
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    ausPPC
    I still have a number of Efika systems for sale. Currently I'm in the process of making a completely silent system that uses a 16GB compact flash card instead of an IDE harddrive. This is the system -

Efika_015.jpg

[ Edited by ausPPC on 2009/2/26 9:02 ]
    PPC assembly ain't so bad... ;)
  • »25.02.09 - 23:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    samalex
    I don't mind building a system from scratch as long as I know where to get the parts, but unfortunately MorphOS and even AmigaOS run on hardware that's not easily found. I could see a 'kit' computer being made available with the Efika motherboard, case, and MorphOS... it looks like everything else can be picked-up from spare parts around the computer shop.

Being a computer junkie and an OS whore I'll probably save-up and get the parts to build a system to run MorphOS eventually now that I know where to get the parts.

Also just a side question, is the application support there enough to run MorphOS as a primary system? Given there's a decent web browser, email client, word processor, etc I can see this being Yes, but just curious if anyone does use their Morph system 100% of the time.

Take care and thanks for the great info.

samalex
  • »03.03.09 - 16:15
  • ASiegel
    @samalex

Quote:

Also the genesi-usa.com website has no place to purchase hardware directly.

https://www.genesi-usa.com/store/

Genesi sells pre-build EFIKA OpenClient systems to end users directly via their website.
  • »03.03.09 - 17:32
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

samalex wrote:

Also just a side question, is the application support there enough to run MorphOS as a primary system? Given there's a decent web browser, email client, word processor, etc I can see this being Yes, but just curious if anyone does use their Morph system 100% of the time.

samalex

Depends on waht you want to do. I use MorphOS privately as main system, but not exclusively (there is also Win, Linux and OS X).

Best current browser is OWB. That one does really a alot, but still things like flash or a video plug in are missing. Java applets don't work (no JVM available), too (but fortunately I haven't seen Java applets since ages out there).
    Word processing is generally rather poor, however there is a nice DTP package (pagestream) and you may use google docs with OWB.
    Mailing depends, if you use POP3 then you don't have much of a problem and may chose either simplemail or YAM (they are both good and I use them as my main mailers). SimpleMail does support IMAP too, but a bit limited.
    I use MorphOS as media center in my living room (music and vids), for mailing, surfing my usual sites, do some IRC, read pdfs and so. Also I use some gfx apps and occasionally I try to program this and that, use some audio apps, edit some html or play a game. That's all fine with MorphOS.
    Office stuff I do with my other systems only and I think the mixture to have several systems around is quite relaxing. I use whatever and whenever suits my needs best. Often this is MorphOS, but I have my other systems for a reason.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »03.03.09 - 17:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ samalex

Quote:

I could see a 'kit' computer being made available with the Efika motherboard, case, and MorphOS...

http://www.directron.com/efikakit1.html

Directron is selling a kit that consists of an Efika mainboard, a fanless PSU and a fitting case (non-standard size). At 175 USD, it appears to be very affordable.

MorphOS is not included but it should not be too much trouble to download and copy it to a USB pen drive on your own.
  • »03.03.09 - 17:40