OS4 on Pegasos II since years?
    hooligan
    I ran MorphOS on my coffeemaker, also other coffeeloving people managed to install it with ease. Unfortunately I can't reveal any names or facts, so you just have to believe me. :pint:
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »11.02.09 - 06:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    these traitors should be banned.
    (bought an OS4.1 licence)

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2009/2/11 11:51 ]
  • »11.02.09 - 10:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Simon
    Maybe it could boot to some point ... but how stable ?
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »11.02.09 - 11:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    ssolie
    @ferrels
    Genesi was even encouraging this type of illegal behaviour with taunts and challenges back in the day. Some would say Genesi even knew about the activity and helped out but that may just be rumour... maybe.

I don't blame any of the users for wanting to run AmigaOS 4.0 on their hardware--who wouldn't want it? ;-)
    AmigaOne X1000 + AmigaOne 500 (1.2 GHz) + AmigaOne XE (7455)
    Amiga Users of Calgary (AMUC)
  • »11.02.09 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Drako^lM
    I don't like OS4 . So me don't want it :) 8-)
    Hardware :
    Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18 & OSX 10.5
    Mini G4 1.5 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18
    BlaBla Team Member -> http://blabla.ppa.pl
    AmiParty Team Member -> http://www.chal.pl/
  • »11.02.09 - 19:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    @ssolie

We encouraged Hyperion to port OS4 to the Pegasos and ODW so they could generate revenue selling licenses. If you have any doubt about that have a chat with Ben or Evert. In the meanwhile, a number of enterprising people that had both the AmigaOne and Pegasos/ODW did manage to get OS4 running on the Pegasos/ODW. As Rogue himself has recently attested, getting OS4 running on the Pegasos was not that hard to do.

It ought to be pretty clear after all these years that OS4 should have been officially ported long ago. It is good for users and developers, as well as the companies that seek to profit from it.

Lastly, we were not the only company that had trouble with Amiga Inc. honoring their Agreements. Fortunately, it appears with the release of OS4.1 on the Pegasos we were not the only company in overcoming Amiga Inc.'s bogus legal attempts to avoid their responsibilities under those Agreements.

We hope all OS4.1 users enjoy the release. Perhaps, one day a community may pull itself back together. You could even play a role in helping that happen if you stop and think about it.

R&B :-)

[ Edited by Genesi on 2009/2/11 19:55 ]
  • »11.02.09 - 19:51
    Profile Visit Website
    Simon
    I am wondering ... did they manage to run it on a Pegasos 1 ? or only on a peg 2
    Proud member of the Belgian Amiga Club since 2003

• »11.02.09 - 21:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > a number of enterprising people that had both the AmigaOne and
    > Pegasos/ODW did manage to get OS4 running on the Pegasos/ODW.

So ferrels's claims seem to be true indeed. Interesting.

> As Rogue himself has recently attested, getting OS4 running on the
    > Pegasos was not that hard to do.

Yes. But they had the source code, the "others" did not.
  • »11.02.09 - 22:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    ...you don't need the source code if you understand the firmware.

http://www.powerdeveloper.org/article.php?article=openfirmwarekernels

R&B :-)
  • »12.02.09 - 00:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

ssolie wrote:
    @ferrels
    Genesi was even encouraging this type of illegal behaviour with taunts and challenges back in the day. Some would say Genesi even knew about the activity and helped out but that may just be rumour... maybe.

I don't blame any of the users for wanting to run AmigaOS 4.0 on their hardware--who wouldn't want it? ;-)

Your anti Genesi/MorphOS propaganda is so aged, so old - I am sorry for that. Better wake up, smell the coffee.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »12.02.09 - 00:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > ...you don't need the source code if you understand the firmware.
    > http://www.powerdeveloper.org/article.php?article=openfirmwarekernels

I don't understand. Obviously, David had the source code to his own kernel. What do his experiences described in the article have to do with people porting OS4 to the Pegasos II without access to the source code of OS4?
    Enlighten me, please.
  • »12.02.09 - 01:50
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Hyperion had MorphOS running on the Pegasos2 *a long time ago*, and so did others, but by using a different method. Anyway, it doesn't matter now. It is officially released and any OS4 geek could try to get a hold of a Pegasos2 if they can and if they are interested. Could only be a good thing for the Peg2 second hand market! :-)

Other than that I'd like to make two reflections about this:

1) It's nice to see Pegasos2 support from Hyperion, but it's waaay too late for it to matter the slightest in practice. It's a pity for the OS4 crowd that this couldn't have happened back when the Pegasos2 was still manufactured and sold new. Instead they were bound to bug-ridden, overpriced, underpowered Articia crap.

2) Hyperion have had a Peg2 version of OS4 (in a more or less polished shape) since years, and the fact that they finally make an official release out of it, and the fact that they have also made a release for the Samantha board, clearly shows that they are now free to release OS4 for whatever hardware they see fit. Well either that, or they are provoking the Amiga IP holder severely! ;-) Either way, I can't say I really care, other than for the popcorn factor... :pint:
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.02.09 - 07:41
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    Comment removed: Trolling.

[ Edited by hooligan on 2009/2/12 15:28 ]
  • »12.02.09 - 12:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

deb wrote:
    Comment removed: Trolling

Anyone with some knowledge about how computers work will not agree.

[ Edited by hooligan on 2009/2/12 15:29 ]
  • »12.02.09 - 12:51
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Comment removed: Reply to trolling

[ Edited by hooligan on 2009/2/12 15:28 ]
    DEAD pegII/G4@1000.1gb ram.radeon 9200pro
    240 gigz hd.nec dvdrw.MorphOS 2.4 DEAD
    -=-=-=-
    amiga1200T.blizzardppc@180/040@25.96megz ram
    -=-=-=-=-
    zx.spectrum@3.5
  • »12.02.09 - 13:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Hyperion had MorphOS running on the Pegasos2 *a long time ago*

Yes, no news there.

> and so did others, but by using a different method.

Any details? Genesi already attempted to give some right here in this thread, but I don't quite understand.
  • »12.02.09 - 14:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Probably some OS4 betatesters were running OS4 on Peg long time ago. Peg1 hardware was not much different from Eyetech's Amiga1.

I know that many OS4 betatesters were also running Roadshow on their 68k Amigas. Roadshow was never released for 68k but it was there on OS4 FTP and betatesters were running it on their old Amigas and even on MorphOS.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »12.02.09 - 19:20
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Probably some OS4 betatesters were running OS4 on Peg long time ago.
    > Peg1 hardware was not much different from Eyetech's Amiga1.

Hmm, that doesn't fit ferrels's statement quite well. He talks about Peg2, not Peg1. And I somehow doubt OS4 betatesters would have offered him their help in getting OS4 running on Pegasos. Furthermore, he talks about "hacked copies of OS4.0". Betatesters would need no "hack". And takemehomegrandma claims the "others" used a method different from Hyperion's, ruling your "betatesters theorie" out.
  • »13.02.09 - 00:05
  • ASiegel
    @ takemehomegrandma

Quote:

Hyperion had MorphOS running on the Pegasos2 *a long time ago*, and so did others, but by using a different method. Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

It does not matter now? Well, the single reason for this discussion thread is that someone is curious how it is technically possible that various people supposedly "hacked" (notepad.exe, anyone?) a version of a closed source operating system written for Eyetech's A1 and managed to make it run on a Pegasos2 which is a substantially different mainboard.

Any pointers to the firmware are rather confusing because the firmware does not magically rewrite the OS drivers to support alien hardware. This statement would make whole lot more sense if this discussion would be about the A1 and the Pegasos 1 which are in fact fairly similar mainboards. But, it is not.

Based on common sense (which can be misleading occasionally), one would assume that somebody must have had access to the source code and made a quick and dirty adaptation which appears to be what happened with the unfinished Mac Mini port. Any alternative scenarios seem extremely unlikely/impossible.
  • »13.02.09 - 10:11
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Hyperion had MorphOS running on the Pegasos2 *a long time ago*, and so did others, but by using a different method. Anyway, it doesn't matter now.

I think that AmigaOS 4 should be written instead of MorphOS for this phrase to make any sense right?

The very sad thing after all is that I spent almost 850 euros to build a Samantha just to see that "mighty and superior" 4.1, only to discover two months later that the mentioned OS would run fine and would have official support on my favorite hardware which is Peg2. You know this was the first thing I thought: "they had it ready a long time ago but waited the right time to deliver", I doubt that they built 4.1 from the scratch just for Peg during the last months.

Hacked OS 4.0 versions back on the days of silence? Yes ok this could be real and would be great to know how, just for the record. But on the other hand I still can not follow how this remained so "silent". Back in that MacMini Os 4 hacked verison days, there was a massive storm of posts everywhere started from a single post that characterized as "rumor" / "hoax or what?" etc? Maybe this was a part of the plan as well... I do not know?

On the other hand hacked version of 4.0 in Peg2 would bring the sales lower when the official thing would be released, another reason for silence back then.

Sorry to point that but to my eyes is all about money, except MorphOS that still carries an original underground Amiga spirit.

[ Edited by CountRaven on 2009/2/14 2:12 ]
  • »13.02.09 - 13:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

CountRaven wrote:
    Quote:

Hyperion had MorphOS running on the Pegasos2

I think that AmigaOS 4 should be written instead of MorphOS for this phrase to make any sense right?

Ooops! Of course you are right, my mistake there... 8-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »13.02.09 - 18:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Ooops! Of course you are right, my mistake there...

Hehe, I didn't even notice :-)
  • »13.02.09 - 19:37
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Hmm, that doesn't fit ferrels's statement quite well. He talks about Peg2, not Peg1. And I somehow doubt OS4 betatesters would have offered him their help in getting OS4 running on Pegasos. Furthermore, he talks about "hacked copies of OS4.0". Betatesters would need no "hack". And takemehomegrandma claims the "others" used a method different from Hyperion's, ruling your "betatesters theorie" out.

There is also OS4 for Macs. Who leaked it if not beta testers? Who is giving help to run OS4 on Macs if not beta testers?

What ferrels claims makes no sense: "The BIOS on a PegII is flashable. The PegII uses the same graphics, the same processor, and the same drive subsystem." He clearly does not know what he is talking about.

Whoever offered him help must have been from OS4 inner circle. Beta tester or core developer.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »14.02.09 - 07:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There is also OS4 for Macs. Who leaked it if not beta testers?

Then (now ex-) OS4 Team member Andrea Vallinotto via wegster on amigaworld.net:

"I'm the author of said port, done over an year ago on behalf of ACube [...]. Such ISO image not only contains parts of OS4 (a commercial product) but also contain modules that are NOT part of either OS4 for A1 nor Classic, and are fully copyrighted by me. I never gave permission to anyone, least this AmigaMac guy, to distribute these files. So owning and using those modules is breaching my intellectual property (IP) and is a clear act of piracy. [...] As you probably have seen by the european lawsuit, between me, the two Friedens and against Hyperion and AInc, I'm more than willing to protect my IP from piracy or any other form of unauthorized use. For the record, that ISO image was obtained from a stolen laptop and there is a police report about that (in the USA). That AmigaMac guy is not some benefactor, he's a criminal."
    http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=24993&forum=33&start=180#419982

Recently, OS4 Team member Joerg Strohmayer even claimed (German, beware) that Vallinotto developed Moana without permission, rendering Moana *per se* a pirate copy of OS4, with Vallinotto == pirate.

> Who is giving help to run OS4 on Macs if not beta testers?

It's been this AmigaMac guy over at EAB, even the Moana author claims not to know him.

> What ferrels claims makes no sense: [...] He clearly does not know
    > what he is talking about.

That's what I thought first too about his whole posting. But Genesi and takemehomegrandma in this very thread here at least supported his claim of certain people having run OS4.0 on Peg2 since years. Apparently, they don't just guess, but seem to *know*.

> Whoever offered him help must have been from OS4 inner circle. Beta
    > tester or core developer.

That may very well be. But as I said, it contradicts takemehomegrandma's statement. As long as he doesn't clarify (my question to him still goes unanswered) I'm not convinced by either side.
  • »14.02.09 - 11:26