EFIKA + MorphOS vs. A4k/PPC + MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    For what the EFIKA is (a "toy" or a embedded use only type mobo)...

How would these two compare running the same version of MOS assuming the PPC A4k has 128megs ram and all other things equal (hd, vid card).

I dont want to get over excited because there will be a new version of MOS supposedly by the end of the month..but if there is then would the EFIKA replace an aging A4k PPC system? I dont play mpegs, movies etc (thats what my core 2 duo linux system is for).. just games, some video shit here and there, maybe some superbase 4 stuff etc.

$99 EFIKA + $? MOS = WINNER?
  • »03.06.08 - 00:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Efika advantages:

- CPU is almost 2x faster (400 MHz, while the core comparable with 604e).
    - Memory is faster.
    - Most of peripherials integrated into CPU (= faster).
    - USB, Ethernet, 16-bit sound built-in.
    - You can use better gfx cards. Even if you don't care about 3D, DVI connector may be an advantage.
    - The system may be made fanless easily. Enjoy the silence.
    - The system is very small. Using PicoPSU you can fit it in 5.25" drive case.

Efika disadvantages:

- Hard to expand - no Zorro, one PCI (occupied by gfx card usually).
    - Builtin USB is 1.1 only and has only 2 ports.
    - Builtin IDE controller only handles one drive and it should be a 2.5" HDD (or flash memory card to IDE adapter).
    - No FDD and no possibility to connect an Amiga-compatible one. Of course important if you store stuff on floppies.
    - No AGA and Kickstart - you can't switch to classic mode to play some game or watch a demo. And UAE on Efika is hardly usable.

For me Efika is a winner, but you may find it opposite.

[ Edited by Krashan on 2008/6/3 5:00 ]

[ Edited by Krashan on 2008/6/3 5:01 ]
  • »03.06.08 - 05:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Another advantage of EFIKA vs. a real CBM Amiga is that it is new hardware and you do not have to fear that it immediatelly blows up because of age when you switch on the machine.

So... I think that's one of the most important reasons of all. :)

The main disadantage of Efika is that you need to find/ build yourself a custom case. Though there are some offerings now for cases (expensive and maybe not mathcing your taste).

regards,
    tokai
  • »03.06.08 - 08:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @Krashan
    You forgot about one thing. There is a very little chance that Mos 2.0 will be scheduled for Amiga 4000, or Classic Amigas. As Jaca pointed out is has -1 priority, it all depends on donations. Yet, we might not see it running on classic Amigas ;)

@TheMagicM
    To tell you the truth Efika is also the winner for me.
    I have both machines at home.
    For the time being Amiga 4000 is used by me
    every day, while Efika is covered with dust for now on, lying somewhere on my shelf, right now I don't even know where... waiting impatiently for Mos 2.0 to arrive...

[ Edited by Sir_Lucas on 2008/6/3 7:20 ]
  • »03.06.08 - 08:19
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    i think that an A4000 is too overloaded and big, but nevertheless slow, its not adequate nowadays. The only thing i can say positive about an A4000 in comparison to an Efika, is the retro factor. you'll have 100% amiga feeling on that machine. But really, you dont need an A4000PPC with graphicscard and all that stuff, just to watch demos and play old games...

just my 2 cents.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »03.06.08 - 17:00
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >while the core comparable with 604e

Nah... read this!

[ Edited by tarbos on 2008/6/3 18:08 ]
  • »03.06.08 - 18:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    cego:

you're right. I have almost all of my Amiga's in cooled storage because if they blow, its an arm and a leg to fix the damn thing.
    Well that settles it. Too many people complain that the EFIKA is limited etc.. well so is a 030 Amiga 500 but people still use it. I think the EFIKA will work perfect for what I need and what every Amiga user needs.

I'll have to demo it at a local Amiga gathering (yea, there is a small amiga gathering here in Texas).
  • »04.06.08 - 02:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I sold off my AmigaPPC 1,5 years ago because MorphOS on Pegasos & Efika suits all my needs. For retro Amiga apps not running on MorphOS there's UAE (on MorphOS and on Windows).
    No need of the old hardware, the only thing I miss is the keyboard (the Amiga kbd had the better layout) and the Delfina soundcard (which was awesome). But in the end selling it off was a good decision.
    The Efika is virtually silent, consumes very low wattage and is a fresh and reliable piece of hadware. MorphOS on it is *ways* faster than on my old Blizzard.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »04.06.08 - 14:25
    Profile Visit Website
    Cego
    btw, i would completely get rid off of my classic amiga if there was a JIT for E-UAE, cause you really cant watch on an 1GHz PegII just too slow :(
    So my A1200/030 is still here doing his job :)
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »04.06.08 - 17:26
    CountRaven
    Quote:

Another advantage of EFIKA vs. a real CBM Amiga is that it is new hardware and you do not have to fear that it immediatelly blows up because of age when you switch on the machine.

So... I think that's one of the most important reasons of all. :)

lol

I would love to see MorphOS running on a classic Amiga just for the trip, and I am more anxious to see 1.4.5 PowerUp running on the Amiga BPPC I am building right now and then comes Os4. But as fas as MorphOS 2.0 there is no point for such a question -Efika or A4k-. As other people pointed 2.0 PowerUp iwll run on classic Amiga only after some good donaitons and the most obvious thing is that it will not support Blizzard PPC cards -due to lakc of hardware for testing-.

So I guess Efika is the only answer as far as 2.0... A friend of mine in Greece tries to make Efika to fit in an A600 case... that would be the perfect combinaiton for me... If it is done I will get an Efika as well!! Hahaha!
  • »06.06.08 - 18:15
    Profile Visit Website