More SCUMMVM Q's.
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    Well... I'm trying to get the latest release of SCUMMVM to work (0.5.1 I think?).

I've got a few Q's:
    a) I want to get LOOM CD to work. But I can't seem to get it started at all. I've copied the files over, have CDDA.library in libs, pop the cd in the drive and tell scummvm to run it. I just get a blank screen and nothing else apart from a "Trying to start LoomCD" message shows up and a blank fullscreen. Should I try converting that loooong singular audio track that's on the CD to mp3 and try and run it that way? (Would be interesting to see if it would actually run the TurboGrafx version of it too. :))

b) I tried using Beneath a Steel Sky (PC CD Version). And it's brutally slowwww... It takes quite a long time for the intro to go, and I think it crashes at one point. I tried setting the scaler to "none" to see what happens and it does improve the speed of the intro a bit. I also have the CD32 version here and I'm wondering if I should try it instead.

c) I also tested my Amiga version of Simon the Sorcerer II. It seems to work okay, and it's quite funny seeing as the graphics actually look better with a nice scaler and the game seems to run smoother? :) However the speech seems to go out of sync if you skip the intro and at one point the game crashed.

d) Any word on "Etude"? I would like to see how that is any better then the default sound generation that ScummVM generates. Any news if it's available anywhere?

Now I'm off digging out my DOTT and Sam And Max CD's.

Now I'm wondering how FreeSCI is like? :-D
    Steph
  • »08.08.03 - 04:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    tomjoad
    a) LoomCD works fine. Which version of cdda.library do you have? Maybe try
    http://www.butterflyvale.de/misc/cdda.library
    I wanted to make a new release but didn't find the time yet.
    If this doesn't cure the problem, you may want to try MP3 tracks.

b) Since I don't have BASS I couldn't test it. You'd have to run it on other systems to see if you have the same problems there. The CD32 version doesn't work AFAIK and probably never will. Revolution gave the ScummVM team the sources to the PC version only.
  • »08.08.03 - 15:50
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    For Loom CD, I've downloaded the CDDA Library from the site and put it in my libs directory. Is there anything else I need to do? Are there any other programs I can use to test the library with?

I was hesitating to turn the audio track into an MP3, because I believe LoomCD uses one long audio track and it simply jumps around it for speech and sound effects. But I guess I can give it a try.

I'll see if I can find a ScummVM that'll run on one of my other systems. ;)

Thanks!
    Steph
  • »08.08.03 - 16:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    td741
    Steph
  • »09.08.03 - 17:50
    Profile Visit Website