Any way to get 2560x1600 out of a PegII running MOS?
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    wlamee
    Like the subject line says, is there any way to get this done now?

I've been using my ATI 9250 (I think) card to push 1920x1200x24 @60Hz to my 24" wide screen monitor via DVI-D, and like that a lot. But how about pushing 2560x1600 to a 30" screen (requires dual DVI, it seems - fair enough, I guess), is that possible under MOS currently, i.e. is there any driver for a card that can do this? Or should I keep the money in the pocket for now and dream on?
    Wouter Lamee
    mailto:wouter@wouterlamee.nl
    http://www.wouterlamee.nl
  • »03.03.08 - 23:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    well, I made on my old 260 MHz 19" CRT a resolution of 2400x1600x24 interlaced (can't remember the frequency), and it worked fine. MorphOS haven't such a limitations, You can setup everything You wish, if hardware accepts it...

bye, MarK.
  • »04.03.08 - 10:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

MorphOS haven't such a limitations, You can setup everything You wish, if hardware accepts it...

Well, not quite, MorphOS currently has a limitation of 8192 or so due to AOS/CGX legacy (additionally there's an issue with setting certain screensizes in 1.4.x IIRC). ;)

- CISC
  • »04.03.08 - 12:16
    MarK
    :-D i guess, we have some time to take this as a limitation. there ofcourse are some limitations, but nothing unacceptable...

bye, MarK.
  • »05.03.08 - 04:00
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    wlamee
    Definitely not unacceptable, like I said I'm quite happy with the 1920x1200 screen on DVI-D, it's a roomy sektop, stable and sharp as a scalpel - just looking ahead for the next step.

To formulate the question a bit more sharpish: Are there any graphics cards that can give me 2560x1600x24 @ 60 and have MOS drivers supprting them? I thought the answer was 'no', but maybe I been too busy doing other things and may have missed out on it.

Thanks anywayzzzz.

[ Edited by wlamee on 2008/3/6 23:37 ]
    Wouter Lamee
  • »06.03.08 - 22:37
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    i have tested it right now. with my old radeon 9000pro and my old 19" monitor with 261 mhz bandwidth, i -CAN- display 2560x1582x24bitx50hz, but it's the limitation of the monitor, not the gfx board. see the picture.

need another proof?

bye, MarK.
  • »10.03.08 - 10:33
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Can you please tell me what specific card you are using? MorphOS can not push my R7500 to 1920x1200 although other OSs can. It stops at 1600x1200 or I am too dumb for the unnecessary too complicated display settings. My R9250 is not recognized by OF. My R9600 and R9650 will stay unsupported by MorphOS AFAIR. I do not want to buy another R9250 that MorphOS cannot run again so please give me a hint which specific model can make use of my monitor.
  • »10.03.08 - 11:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

MorphOS can not push my R7500 to 1920x1200 although other OSs can. It stops at 1600x1200 or I am too dumb for the unnecessary too complicated display settings.

They are complicated for a reason, and I'm guessing the reason you can't push it above 1600x1200 is that you have not configured the monitor settings appropriately (this is where you can (or atleast could in the old days when monitors had no safeguards) cause serious damage to your monitor if you are not careful); most likely the bandwidth/pixelclock, try to find some docs on your monitor (or check out the .inf file that comes with windrivers) that tell you what your monitor can do...

- CISC
  • »10.03.08 - 14:06
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    wlamee
    CISC is right, of course, if you set the pixelclock and/or bandwidth correctly for your monitor and both the GFX card and the monitor can handle 1920x1200, things will work. BTW, I've got a Radeon 9200 SE 128MB card. I think I set up the min and max Hz and kHz for horizontal and vertical refresh, and if that allows 1920x1200, there you go. Good luck, and let us know where you end up.
    Wouter Lamee
  • »10.03.08 - 23:04
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Quote:

CISC wrote:

They are complicated for a reason, and I'm guessing the reason you can't push it above 1600x1200 is that you have not configured the monitor settings appropriately

This is my assumption but I tried several times, sveral hours and
    could not get it to work. Those monitor settings are where CRT and TFT
    diverge.

Quote:

most likely the bandwidth/pixelclock, try to find some docs on your monitor (or check out the .inf file that comes with windrivers) that tell you what your monitor can do...

I know what my monitor is able to display. You can see the specs
    online at
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2405fpw/en/about.htm#Specifioications
    But those didn't help me yet to adopt those circuitous settings to the
    needs of my display.
  • »13.03.08 - 22:51
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sprocki
    Quote:

wlamee wrote:
    if you set the pixelclock and/or bandwidth correctly for your monitor
    and both the GFX card and the monitor can handle 1920x1200, things
    will work.

which exactly is the whole problem as MorphOS' monitor settings are
    good for squeezing the last pixel out of an ancient CRTs but bad for
    using modern TFTs. If it was that easy ("set both the same and of
    course everything will work") then there wouldn't be a single point to
    ask.

Quote:

BTW, I've got a Radeon 9200 SE 128MB card.

OK, so you don't have a 9250 then. If I already implement a new card
    then I just want a 9250 and a working one, not as the one that I
    already own. Therefore I need explicit model names that definitely
    work. "Buy any 92x0 and it will work" is untrue as we can see.

Quote:

I think I set up the min and max Hz and kHz for horizontal and
    vertical refresh, and if that allows 1920x1200, there you go.

This is for sure the first thing to do if one wants to get a monitor
    to work with MorphOS. If it had worked I would have nothing to ask.
    But this bounds me to 1600x1200 as MorphOS is way behind the rest
    of the world here. As I could not find any tutorial that puts
    sync/pulse lengths and offsets in relation to TFT entities it stopped
    at digging in the dirt.
  • »13.03.08 - 23:08
    MarK
    another important number is the pixel clock. enter the maximum monitor supported value. and send here a screenshot of the monitor settings...

bye, MarK.
  • »14.03.08 - 04:22
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ Sprocki

MarK is right.

One of the most important parameters is pixel clock. The first thing you need is to rise it up to the minimum value needed.

Looking at the specifications it is clear that your monitor accepts a pixel clock at least up to 162.0 MHz (which ensures you can get a 1920x1600 resolution). However you may be not able to reach such a value if, previously, you have not set correctly a sufficiently large bandwidth in the monitor specification window.

Since the specifications do not say what is the bandwidth of your monitor, you can set it, as a first approximation, to a value somewhat larger than the pixel clock. Then, stay at 1600x1200 resolution, and try to rise the pixel clock up to 162.0 MHz. If you are still not able to reach this value, go back to the monitor specification window and rise up the bandwith. And so on until you will be able to reach the correct pixel clock.

Now, setting the resolution to 1920x1600 should be no longer a problem.

Good luck.

(Please note that anything you do is totally at your own risk. Modern devices have internal protections against improper settings, but I do not accept any responsability for possible damages!)

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2008/3/14 20:44 ]