Paid development of Java6 for Morphos
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    Hi,

I would be interested in paying salaries for 1-2 southern/east European programmers to work on an open source implementation of Java6 for Morphos. (Like JAmiga)

If you'd be interested, how much would you require in EUR pr. month? You would of course have to be skilled enough :)
  • »06.12.07 - 11:29
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Some more info would be handy I guess. Like what modules you would want to see ported, a desirable timeframe, etc.
  • »06.12.07 - 12:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    I picture something like the JAmiga-project.

I would want 1-2 persons to port/implement J2SE 1.6 full time for several months in 2008. All depending on the results. I think we would have to discuss more details if there is an interest at all from someone.

Anyone know what a good salary for a programmer would be in for example Poland?

I really think Morphos (or AmigaOS4) would benefit from supporting Java (or .Net)
  • »06.12.07 - 12:47
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    3000e/month should suffice.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »06.12.07 - 12:58
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    Was that for you or for a polish programmer? :)

---

Would you consider it normal?

I talked to a guy in Spain once that thought 1500 EUR was decent.

[ Edited by bendahmon on 2007/12/6 14:05 ]
  • »06.12.07 - 13:03
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Anyone know what a good salary for a programmer would be in for example Poland?

Probably 1/3 of what itix wants would be a start ;) You could surely find people interrested to work on that for that kind of money in Poland.

(not me though, I'm a java hater ;)
  • »06.12.07 - 13:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    In Germany the average salary of a programmer in a medium sized company is about 3.500 €/month.
    I guess with 1500 €/month you should be able to pay an interesting salary in eastern countries. But also there the salaries are risen: For example In Warsow the salaries for good progarmmers are up to 2500 - 5000 €/month (according to some internet resource of the German car industry that is).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.12.07 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    Thanks for the valuable information.

Too bad you don't like Java. Do you think you'd be able to do it though?
  • »06.12.07 - 14:02
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    Yeah, I would think that Germany has a bit higher salaries than i.e. Poland. But interesting to know exactly though.

I can see myself paying something between 1500-3000. The most important thing is that it can be done by the person.
  • »06.12.07 - 14:05
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Do you think you'd be able to do it though?

Maybe, but then all my MorphOS 2.0 work would have to be put on hold :) And I'd have to remind myself how to code in java, which scares me :P

I'll ask around in the Polish community though. There are a few people that develop stuff in java at work. I guess it might be hard for you to find someone for a fulltime job though. More like a few part-timers.
  • »06.12.07 - 14:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Krashan
    Looks like a good opportunity to learn Java... Too bad I'm occupied with another project to the end of February at least...
  • »07.12.07 - 12:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    srbin
    Wouldn't it be better if you could make a bounty for ie ~10.000 euros for the first team that makes it till ie may 2008?

That way more ppl would be attracted for the bounty. If you would pay salaries, you would never know if the project will ever finish and how much would it cost.
    May the force be with you. Don't let the dark side of PC take over you.
  • »07.12.07 - 12:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Maybe, but then all my MorphOS 2.0 work would have to be put on hold :) And I'd have to remind myself how to code in java, which scares me :P

I guess the original poster can wait those 1.5 weeks which will be needed to roll out MOS 2.0 ;-)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »07.12.07 - 12:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Hmmm, reading between the lines a little it's like "I want a very cheap programmer" rather than "I'll pay a reasonable amount".

It's a bit of a silly question IMHO, you really don't want 2 months work towards a 24 month (?) project. The next programmer has to pick up the details of the previous guy's work; unless the first programmer did a very good job at documenting then it's very difficult.

If you were serious you would be asking for programmers available to do the whole job and you would enter a contract with them to supply a finished piece of work at a fixed price. Any sensible programmer would insist on part payment at some verifiable milestones.

So, in lieu of negotiations about the final price, the proper question is how long would it take 2 people to do the port and is anyone interested.

This assumes you are serious. Are you ?

BTW: This is only an observation; personally I am not skilled enough at MorphOS porting and don't have the time.

The idea of setting up a bounty is only good if you can collect the money, generate a specification, have someone manage verification of the work and payment.
  • »07.12.07 - 15:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    My first reply (above) was one of curiosity; are you serious or not.

Now I would like to know why you are asking about
    Quote:

southern/east European programmers

Why do you need programmers from a particular geographical location ? Are programmers from north or west Europe unacceptable ? How about a French person living in Estonia ? Or a Ukrainian living in Denmark ?

Whether it was intentional or not, your post is racist.
  • »08.12.07 - 14:09
  • scf
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    scf
    Just because programmers in the easter Europe have smaller salaries than from the west. I live in Ukraine and if I would move to Germany or France I wouldn't accept the same salary as I have here living in Ukraine :) So geo location matters, not a nationality :)
  • »08.12.07 - 14:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    @ koan: sfc is right and the post is not racist.
    It's all about the Benjamins(Euro)!
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »08.12.07 - 14:36
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    @ThePlayer

Yes, yes, it's obvious the original poster mentions these countries because he will only pay low wages.

But why does it have to be people from only these countries why not accept anyone as long as they work for the right price ?

I don't want to blow this up; it's just that the original post was badly worded and (probably unintentionally) racist.

"Benjamins" means US dollars! You can't start calling Euros by slang for dollars!

@sfc
    No offense intended, I just randomly selected some countries.
    I know the cost of living is cheaper in Eastern Europe but don't you think it is insulting if someone wants to pay you less even though your work is the same quality ?
  • »08.12.07 - 16:00
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Hmm,

Java is really necessary for MorphOS to be successful.
    The problem is: the whole Java 1.6 Api is much work,
    i think it should take one year or more for two persons
    (if you support everything and test it all,
    test cases you will get from sun).

I think best way to get Java to Mos you have to talk
    to Genesi (Genesi has to be interested in such things)
    and sun directly, they have the experience and knowledge
    to do such things

regards

eliotmc

BTW I am java and c developer, but i dont have
    a pegasos at the moment.

But in the end, it is a BIG project, you need much money
    and much time

good luck!
    regards
    eliot
  • »08.12.07 - 17:38
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    I don't know what is difference between Polish and non-Polish
    progammer? For 1000 euro/mounth you can find only a students. For
    full-time pay it is not enough. But maybe You find working for food
    only desperados.
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »08.12.07 - 17:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    1000?/month, is not a so ridiculus wage in Spain... I have some friends, with a universitary degree working for 600-700?/month in a Capgemini developement factory, near where I live.

I'm not saying it's a fair thing, but I mean it happens... so perhaps 1000-1200?/m it's not a bad wage, for a job that can be done at home.

I'm not currently interested, as I prefer the .net way xD. I would like more to work in a .net framework for morphos :). A pitty I have very little time free...
  • »08.12.07 - 23:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    Are You sure, 1000euro/mounth is software developer wage in Spain?
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »09.12.07 - 08:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amiades
    Yes, I'm not joking xD. It varies around a 30% depending in which part of spain you live, (for example, Madrid, which is the capital, has better wages, but live is more expensive there anyway).

As a example, you can see some job offers here. Both are from Asturias, which is where I live:

- .net c# developer, they ask for a person with a degree in computer science, and 1 year experience:

http://asturias.oferta.infojobs.net/analista-programador-c/of-i521126152554979102525376455201

15.000 ? - 21.000 ? Brute/year, which is around 1000-1350 net ?/month.

- VB6 and .net developer, degree required:

http://asturias.oferta.infojobs.net/programador-desarrollo-visual-basic-6.0-.net/of-i310585259020019134431119441625

1200 brute euro/month, which is around 1000 net euro/month.

Java sitiation is very similar. Searching very fast, I only found those two in which the stated the salary, but is the common thing for java/.net developers here... I know, I know... it's ridiculous xd.

[ Edited by amiades on 2007/12/9 21:50 ]
  • »09.12.07 - 20:48
  • Just looking around
    bendahmon
    Racism? I don't see that. It's clearly an economical issue. Nothing to do with races. And I don't think there's anything wrong with paying someone lower because they live in another country as long as it's considered a good salary for them. I didn't invent this :)

Currently this is just talk. But if I get in touch with the right person/people I'm fully capable of doing this.

If anyone's interested, please send me a private message and we can discuss further.
  • »09.12.07 - 23:03
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Get27
    Hi !

It's a great idea ! I wish somebody's interesting.
    Good courage
    PowerMac 3.5, G4 1.0GHz DP, 1GB ram, 80GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9600 128MB Mac, 1680x1050
    PowerMac 7.3, G5 2.3GHz DP, 4GB ram, 160GB HD + NAS, Radeon 9800 128MB PC, 1680x1050
    Amiga 500+, Vampire 500v2+, HxC Floppy
  • »10.12.07 - 00:37
    Profile Visit Website