200+ GB hard drive and MOS-any Gotchas?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    So the not-so-trustee forty gig hard drive in my PegII died :-( May God rest its soul along with all those mp3s..

Stay away from Hitachi Deskstars, btw, I've now had two of them go tits up in a year..

It's now getting to the point where it is hard to find a sub-130 gig drive, and I can get a 200 gig drive for about seventy bucks. So, if I get such a drive, can I just format the whole thing with MOS toolkit? Do I have to break it up into a boatload of four gig chunks? Or, can I just have like 100 for MOS and the other hundred for Linux if I'd like, or can the whole thing be MOS?

I know that much space is overkill until firewire port drivers and modern video edit software comes to MorphOS, but I'm just wondering what the limitations are with modern, huge capacity drives. I can get 300+ gigs now so cheap, it's more worth it to just not use the whole drive than it is to try and find a small drive these days.

Edit: This is on a PegasosII G4 by the way, if that matters in terms of the hardware and 137+ gig drives. Does it?

[ Edited by Tronman on 2007/11/26 21:53 ]
  • »27.11.07 - 05:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    MorphOS and Open Firmware have LBA48 support, so there's no issue using large drives, but depending on which filesystem you plan to use there may be some partition size limits. SFS limits you to 128GB and for partitions larger than 64GB you need to use 1K blocksize. FFS I'm not aware of any such limit, but blocksize and buffers should probably be adjusted. PFS3 has a limit of 104GB per partition.
  • »27.11.07 - 06:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    @Golem

Quote:

SFS limits you to 128GB

Does it? I'm using a 160GB Seagate SATA drive (via an IDE to SATA adapter), and have a single SFS partition. It doesn't appear to mind the partition size at all.

At least, I haven't had any warnings...
  • »27.11.07 - 08:24
    Golem
    You wont get any error creating it, did you actually fill it and verify the contents?
  • »27.11.07 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Quote:

... for partitions larger than 64GB you need to use 1K blocksize.

That's the first time I hear this. U sure? :) I happily run a 103.7GB partition with 512er blocks (and yes, almost filled to the dead end :) )

regards,
    tokai
  • »27.11.07 - 09:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    tokai
    Quote:

I know that much space is overkill until firewire port drivers and modern video edit software comes to MorphOS, but I'm just wondering what the limitations are with modern, huge capacity drives. I can get 300+ gigs now so cheap, it's more worth it to just not use the whole drive than it is to try and find a small drive these days.

You never can have large enough drives. If you don't want a 500 GB one please buy one anyway (for me) and I'll send you a small 40GB one in exchange. :-)

regards,
    tokai
  • »27.11.07 - 10:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Golem
    Maybe I got confused by some 68k SFS discussions, I tried various setups a while back... can't find my notes now :)
  • »27.11.07 - 12:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    I guess it's worth noting that MorphOS 1.4 has problems with hard disks over 128GB(?) - basically when you write data to partition beyond that limit, it "wraps around" and ends up corrupting data elsewhere on the drive.

The good news is that this (among few other critical things) got fixed in MorphOS 1.4.3(?) update. So make sure you're using the most recent version before you proceed :-)

(If you want to have Linux on the same drive aswell, you could put that at the end of drive)
  • »27.11.07 - 13:45
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Quote:

Tronman wrote:

Stay away from Hitachi Deskstars, btw, I've now had two of them go tits up in a year..

Beginner. I had five of them replaced by quarantee. They are not called Deathstar for no reason ;-)

Actually the story goes even further, IBM was sued because of one Deathstar-model
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »27.11.07 - 15:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Heh, yeah I remember that. Supposedly the Hitachi ones were better. Supposedy..

Anyway it looks like I'm OK, if I just update to the latest MOS before putting very much data on the drive. Well I might reserve 100 gigs for Linux and use the first 100 for MOS. I just remember back in the 68k days when greater-than-4 gig drives got cheap al of a sudden, and there were probs with FFS, etc. Looks like those days are past now :-)

Thanks, I'll get me a modern drive as soon as I can now.
  • »28.11.07 - 06:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    [ Edited by Darth_X on 2007/11/27 23:10 ]
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »28.11.07 - 07:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Daff
    You can use 128 Go partition safely on MorphOS with SFS.

But I've a 500 GB HD (Seagate Barracuda) since some months and it is not entirely recognized. I was obliged to enter manually drive geometry to maximise the available size (4xx GB).

By defaut SCSIConfig set this HD with 256 GB.

Anyone have tried with 1 TB HD ?

[ Edited by Daff on 2007/11/28 11:51 ]
    Obligement - L'Amiga au maximum
    http://obligement.free.fr
  • »28.11.07 - 10:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • mk
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    mk
    > by Daff on 2007/11/28 11:51:26
    > By defaut SCSIConfig set this HD with 256 GB.

Problem with SCSIConfig
    Optimal geometry has a bug. Maximum 32767 Cylinder be calculated.

Solution
    Set cylinder manualy to higher value.

If you reduce the difference used/total sectors to minimum, then you can also use big HD fully.
  • »28.11.07 - 11:37