MorphOS 2.0 On PPC Amiga's?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Hi all,

I was wondering if Mos2.0 will run on PPC equipped Amigas?
    Considering that most have a "more the merrier" approach to Operating Systems on the Amiga, and the 1.45 doesnt run on mediator equipped Amigas, i'd love it if Mos2.0 would be so kind as to run on my Amiga.

Cheers
    -Mike

[ Edited by mike- on 2007/11/14 17:22 ]
  • »14.11.07 - 15:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Phantom
    That will be a waste of time I think.

Take for example AmigaOS 4.0 for Classic Amigas. AmigaOS 4.0 is running on 600 or 800Mhz AmigaOnes or MicroAmigas. Who tell me that if you run AmigaOS 4.0 on a Blizzard or CyberStorm PPC even at 240Mhz, it will be slow I guess....
  • »14.11.07 - 15:43
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    According to some its not running as slow as one might expect. sure 160/233/240 isnt alot of juice, but its not like were not used to waiting for stuff to load :P

Press play on tape
  • »14.11.07 - 15:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    morphos 2.0 isn't planned on AmigaPPC.
    unless there's enough interest/donations for it.
  • »14.11.07 - 16:29
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Where to donate?
  • »14.11.07 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    You can donate here:

http://powerup.morphos-team.net/

The more donators the better the chances are that Mos 2.0 will run on AmigaPPC ;)
  • »14.11.07 - 17:07
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Quote:

Sir_Lucas wrote:
    You can donate here:

The more donators the better the chances are that Mos 2.0 will run on AmigaPPC ;)

Thanks, i'll whack it up on aimgaweb and stuff it in forums all over the place :?
  • »14.11.07 - 17:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Quote:

Take for example AmigaOS 4.0 for Classic Amigas. AmigaOS 4.0 is running on 600 or 800Mhz AmigaOnes or MicroAmigas. Who tell me that if you run AmigaOS 4.0 on a Blizzard or CyberStorm PPC even at 240Mhz, it will be slow I guess....

Compared to G3 or G4 those old G2 (or G1?) accelerators are slow but after all running applications (mostly, there are exceptions) run on MorphOS faster than they would on 68k.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »14.11.07 - 18:38
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

That will be a waste of time I think.

I agree. IMHO those old Amigas are a closed chapter in the history pretty much in the same sense as the C64 is. Sure, retro enthusiasts still hang on to them, but in all realistic contexts time has run away from them and left them behind.

Spend that developer time on something more useful. That's at least my opinion...
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.11.07 - 20:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

According to some its not running as slow as one might expect. sure 160/233/240 isnt alot of juice, but its not like were not used to waiting for stuff to load :P

Sure, the OS might not be too slow, but many programs will be. I heard that even the default MUI configuration might be a bit too much for classics. (well maybe not THAT slow, but you might want lower the eyecandy a bit)

Considering the cost (and relative power increase compared to ANY classic) of Efika, wouldn't you get one? Instead of increasing the risk of breaking your classic faster. (Not becouse of MorphOS, but generally "keeping it on")

Also, I don't believe there are too many people willing to pay for classic port of 2.0, so I guess it's better to invest that money in Efika and MOS2.0 for it instead.

Oh, did I mention that none of the graphics cards working on classics will likely be able to handle the new accelerated graphics system? Of course you can manage without it (like all 1.4.5 uses do), just one more benefit you won't have on classic.
  • »14.11.07 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Quote:

Jupp3 wrote:
    Quote:

Also, I don't believe there are too many people willing to pay for classic port of 2.0, so I guess it's better to invest that money in Efika and MOS2.0 for it instead.

Oh, did I mention that none of the graphics cards working on classics will likely be able to handle the new accelerated graphics system? Of course you can manage without it (like all 1.4.5 uses do), just one more benefit you won't have on classic.

Well the efika isnt that much faster (in mhz), its a more modern cpu, and probably a lot more mips, but it's still horribly underpowered, so is the 500 euro sam :\

Your saying that a voodoo 3/4/5 isnt powerful enough?
  • »14.11.07 - 21:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Well the efika isnt that much faster (in mhz), its a more modern cpu, and probably a lot more mips, but it's still horribly underpowered, so is the 500 euro sam :\

Is that supposed to be a valid excuse to support even lower spec machine with some VERY problematic (supporting-wise) hardware hacks, such as Mediator?

Why not go a bit further and request port for unexpanded A500? :-)
    Quote:

Your saying that a voodoo 3/4/5 isnt powerful enough?

At least Voodoo 3 won't likely be able to handle it. Don't know about 4 or 5, but I guess they are even more rare than Classic Amigas capable of running 1.4.5 in the first place.

[ Edited by Jupp3 on 2007/11/15 8:55 ]
  • »15.11.07 - 05:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Support for any new classic Amiga hw is not planned.
  • »15.11.07 - 06:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

mike- wrote:
    [

The Efika is quite a lot faster than a Blizzard or Cyberstorm. The cpu itself is faster and the memory interface is a lot faster.
    I know the performance of MOS on a Blizzard (I had a 200MHz version) it was quite useable, but dead slow in comparision to my Peg1.
    On Efika MOS feels** about as fast as on a Peg1 instead.
    Indeed it is fun to use MOS on an Amiga, but in the end those maschines are old and slow. -thy are a dead end. I'd rather suggest to get an Efika. It's cheap and new and surprising fast.

**) It *feels* that fast, the system is as snappy as on a Peg1, of course when doing real calculations - say run DNET or such stuff - you'll recognize who's got the bigger balls ;-)

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2007/11/15 9:59 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.11.07 - 07:52
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @mike-

Come on you've mixed it all up.

MORPHOS 1.4.5 for Classic Amigas equipped with PPC (CyberStormPPC, BlizzardPPC) accelerators is totally for FREE.

It works well on BVision, CyberVisionPPC, CyberVision64, etc
    The list of supported hardware is on the page which I gave you

Please do read it once again, this time very carefully.

And please do correct the statements on these pages:

http://amigaweb.net/index.php?function=view_news&id=841

www.amiga.org
    www.amigaworld.net
  • »15.11.07 - 09:46
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 13.07.2011 - 11:13 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »15.11.07 - 10:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

but I think the classics should be supported if it is not too much trouble to do so

Oh, but it IS supported and people are using 1.4.5 on their Amigas. Yet I see no reason to waste more time on this.
  • »15.11.07 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Quote:

Sir_Lucas wrote:
    @mike-

Come on you've mixed it all up.

It's a known problem =) I'll sort it, sorry i didnt see it soner
  • »15.11.07 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Done
  • »15.11.07 - 12:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    As for amigaworld, i asked for the post to be removed, because apparently, posts in Alt amiga doenst make it to the main board, which makes the poll totally useless :\
  • »15.11.07 - 12:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    Quote:

Who tell me that if you run AmigaOS 4.0 on a Blizzard or CyberStorm PPC even at 240Mhz, it will be slow I guess....

I can tell you that both OS4 and MOS run quite faster than OS3.x on my CSPPC.
  • »15.11.07 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @mike-

Thanx ;)
  • »15.11.07 - 15:16
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @Crumb

To tell you the truth I have the same impression concernig MorphOS 1.4.5 on my A4000T with CSPPC. It's much faster comparing to 3.9

I cannot say anything about OS4 as I don't have it.
    I haven't even seen it live in action. Therefore I cannot say anything
    about it.

But it would be very nice to run MorphOS 2.0 on Classic Amigas even without all these eycandy features, but with new kernel, HDConfing and built-in TCP/IP stack.

Just a thought ;)
  • »15.11.07 - 15:23
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    mike-
    Quote:

Sir_Lucas wrote:
    Thanx ;)

No thank you =)

Quote:

I can tell you that both OS4 and MOS run quite faster than OS3.x on my CSPPC.

Cool. Now if we got Mos2.0 to the Amiga, would it be hard to write drivers for the mediator? I guess the grex would need a brush over too but i hear the mediator is a b**ch. And considering that's the only pci interface available, its sort of needed. And what about mediator drivers for 1.4.5? Why didnt that happen?

[ Edited by mike- on 2007/11/15 17:29 ]
  • »15.11.07 - 15:28
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    @mike-

As I've heard you have to have documentaion of the Mediator and AFAIK, Mos team does not have it.

In order to run Mos on Classic Amigas you don't have to have G-rex. All you need is CSPPC/BPPC and one of the GFX cards mentioned (e.g. BVisionPPC or CVisionPPC or CVision64/64/3d) on the Mos Classic page. G-rex isn't obligatory, it is not a must.
  • »15.11.07 - 15:36