VGPHD - Barcelona HD (Beta v0.9) available for download
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    Just to let everyone know, the High Res (referred to as HD) version of Barcelona (Beta v0.9) has been released. The lower versions will be released soon. If you want to give the HD version a try, you may need to turn the texture quality down. It runs fine on my G5's but struggles a little on my G4's. Also seems to run fine on my P4 PC's and higher with a good card also. I have no way to test the MorphOS version. The better the video card, of course, the better the results.

All tracks that will be released separately will be v0.9 as the final release will have a few "changes" shall we say. Go to the downloads section for download.

Let me know if there are any problems.

VGP HD WebSite
    Jason "JaguarGod" Frabotta
    macracer.gif
  • »07.09.07 - 01:31
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kempaboy
    Hmmmm, maybe i'm blind, but i can't find Morphos version:( anyone?
  • »11.09.07 - 16:38
  • pOS
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    pOS
    The archive consists just of data files. Thus the archive is meant to be used on all supported platforms...
  • »11.09.07 - 18:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    kempaboy
    Hmmm, sorry, i thought this was a new game.
    I was a bit lazy and didn't read all information:(
  • »12.09.07 - 06:13
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    Got some time at last to try it out. Along with the new Car models,
    from external view this beauty is absolutely breathtaking.

(It's maybe just a bit too grainy when you see it from the
    cockpit.)

Is there a way to get rid of the grid fences around the tracks or to
    replace them with something else? :-)

Running a race with all cars in max detail is a bit trying to my G4
    and 8500LE, but still perfectly playable.

Great job there :-)
  • »15.09.07 - 08:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    Thank you for the kind words.

First, the grainy look I am assuming is coming from the walls and fencing sections. Don't worry, those have been changed for the v1.0 release. The res has been bumped up and a whole new fencing scheme is in place.

Second, Since the fence has been changed, I hope it meets with approval from all the people (and I am still shocked at how many of you there are) who have downloaded and played it.
    macracer.gif
  • »15.09.07 - 14:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Road is grainy too. It seems that all textures are very sharp, too sharp. Try to launch VGP2 w/o antyaliasing. Probably that's why they look strange compared to original textures. Make them more smoother. Anyway great work. Waiting for medres version :).

P.S: Kubica rocks ;).

[ Edited by Korni on 2007/9/15 17:40 ]
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »15.09.07 - 17:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    Hmmm... I will have to check into this. I have four separate setups running this game and I have not noticed the road being grainy or too sharp.

Some of the textures that use CMYK schemes may look grainy because of the way they use transparency and how the color pallette converts with the engine. But the road is a raw rgb image and shouldn't look sharp. Maybe a contrast problem with certain displays? I will have to check unoptimized display settings to seeif I can get a grainier or sharper look to the rgb textures that are a little higher res.

I hope the v1.0 tracks do better justice to my vision.

Just to let you guys know, I have finished 3 separate steering wheels that are now linked to the different cars so the same one doesn't show for all the cars. Also, the teams now have there own wheel sets. All the wheels should match the actual cars. These will be released soon.
    macracer.gif
  • »15.09.07 - 18:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    I just got off the phone with two people who I have testing all of the beta track versions for me now and they do not see the track or other textures being too sharp. They are running nVidia and ATI cards.

The only platform I personally cannot test on is MorphOS. So if this problem for others here also, please let me know. I have email contacts with some who are playing a couple of tracks for me on the MorphOS platform, but they too haven't made any observations regarding this particular problem. I am hoping it is only a contrast ratio display problem.

As far as AA being turned off, I test both of my G4 setups with AA off and don't notice a problem with the textures. Also, my Windows setups are the same.

As I have stated before, if anyone else here encounters this problem, let me know. I want to fix anything I can before the release.
    macracer.gif
  • »16.09.07 - 01:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Hmm, maybe it is my personal feeling. I think that medres version would suit me better :).

korni800x600x16001nu5.th.png - new
    test2su3.th.png - original
    test1so5.th.png - new, effects after screen switching ;)

[ Edited by Korni on 2007/9/16 8:21 ]
  • »16.09.07 - 08:20
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    The visual bugs are due to the shortcomings of the MOS version.

But indeed, it's the asphalt and the grass that seems grainy, when viewed from the cockpit. (from external views it's just all right)

In a standing car (or in a screenshot) it's not so significant, but when everything is still crystal clear when you're speeding at hundreds of kms an hour, it takes away from feeling the speed :-)
  • »16.09.07 - 09:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    That is a definite problem. I am hoping that the med versions will allow for better translation through the engine for the MorphOS version.

Those screenshots definitely helped make your point.

Just curious, what kind of video cards do you guys have?
    macracer.gif
  • »16.09.07 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Yup, these bugs are "feature" of MorphOS 3D drivers, so VGP2 doesn't matter in that case much. It appears when you use big textures. I added that shot just for fun :). With R200 based cards external view doesn't work, cockpit mode is better anyway. I'm sure that situation is much better in MorphOS2.0 :).

Radeon9100L 64MB & G3@600Mhz
  • »16.09.07 - 11:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    JaguarGod
    The med versions will be much better. I forgot, the MorphOS people testing for me are testing with the med and low res versions. :oops: That may be why they are not having the problems.

Just to let you know, I will release the Barcelona v0.95 beta (some updates like new fencing and new track video displays) in low, med and high res probably Monday.
    macracer.gif
  • »16.09.07 - 11:31
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    Quote:

Just curious, what kind of video cards do you guys have?

As stated below, Radeon 8500LE/128Mb on a G4@GHz.
  • »16.09.07 - 16:25
    Profile Visit Website