ANR Blows chunks with MOSNet
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I'm having an issue with ANR and streaming. When ever I stream something via shoutcast it plays for about 30-60 seconds then causes an error in MOSNet and blows good chunks. Basically it's this three times with some hex dump

Exception 3 <Illegal Data Access at 0xff060000>
    Task 0x214740e0 <ANRDECODER.1> Type 13 Pri 5
    --Mithalas
  • »26.05.07 - 16:37
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Mithalas

I get crashes with Mosnet and ANR as well.. using other stacks is OK

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »26.05.07 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    np here while using mosnet
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »26.05.07 - 22:47
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Is MosNET still the broken and unfinished piece of highly advanced software engineering (or the s word if you prefer) it was when I last checked a year ago?

Looks like you gave your money to the wrong guy.
  • »26.05.07 - 22:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Gelb wrote:
    Is MosNET still the broken and unfinished piece of highly advanced software engineering (or the s word if you prefer) it was when I last checked a year ago?

At least he did something when nobody else would. I have no issues with MOSnet at all. ANR works perfectly every time as does every site I visit, FTP, news groups, IRC ect. Its better then what we had if you never registered Miami DX.

Gelb, why is it you hate it so much?

[ Edited by Acill on 2007/5/26 16:10 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »27.05.07 - 01:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Why you gotta hate a playa?

I'm kidding, but seriously though, MOSnet works quite well for most people and I hate to say it, but its either that or used a h4xx0r3d Miami key :-( Which suxx because Miami was really the best stack for pretty much any platform, MiamiDX very much held its own against Linux-especially in terms of being tweakable by real humans using an understandable, well documented GUI.

I don't think Holger's coming back after the allegations of backdoors, piracy and so on which caused him to leave, and I couldn't blame him for doing so.

Sonic did a great job, he's an asset to this community. And, he's still around so hopefully (?) he can address whatever issues you may be having.
  • »27.05.07 - 02:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

MOSnet works quite well for most people and I hate to say it, but its either that or used a h4xx0r3d Miami key :-(

Nonsense, you could perfectly well have used AmiTCP3 (which MOSnet is based on), which doesn't exhibit any of the issues ppl complain about...

Quote:

Which suxx because Miami was really the best stack for pretty much any platform, MiamiDX very much held its own against Linux-especially in terms of being tweakable by real humans using an understandable, well documented GUI.

With regards to the GUI, maybe, but the rest is just plain bullshit, and I know of no other stack that starts corrupting data the minute you start stressing it just a little...

Quote:

I don't think Holger's coming back after the allegations of backdoors, piracy and so on which caused him to leave, and I couldn't blame him for doing so.

I doubt that's why he left, and FYI the backdoor thing was true (and well documented (not that it matters since most people run of their own free will various other backdoors (NFS, TCP, AWNPIPE, just to name a few))). :P

- CISC
  • »27.05.07 - 07:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    Quote:

Gelb wrote:

:-?
  • »27.05.07 - 14:23
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    how could have the mos team left us with no tcp/ip stack at all when they had one for themselves ? It was more important than 3D drivers or Trance updates to have such an important OS component.

MOSnet works very well here as well.
  • »27.05.07 - 16:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    How'd this tread turn into a bash mosnet thread? I was just posting to see if other had ran into this with ANR and MOSNet and if so if they knew of a fix. I dl'd the 4.1 release of anr and all is working now. I'll try the beta again later on.

BTW MOSNet runs beautifully with all other apps I use so I don't see the problem with MOSNet.

Thanks
    --Mithalas
  • »27.05.07 - 18:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    CISC I have to disagree with you about Miami corrupting data. That sounds like bullshit to me. When I worked for AI we had a 4000T/Quickpak060 with an AriadneII and Miami. Our LAN was all 100Mbit capable so Miami could go as fast as hardware allowed, over 600K/sec sustained all the time. (All Classic ethernet cards being 10Mbps only) Never a bit of corruption, I could send a whole CD over to it and no problem, then send it back, no problem. I never lost a bit of data on my home 3000T/Cyberstorm/CybervisionPPC setup with DX and X-Surf either.

And I knew Holger personally, yes that's a lof of why he left. That and people pirated his keys.

I could bitch about setup issues for mere mortals and AmiTCP3, but I won't. I tried it, couldn't get it right in a night so Miami went back on, and continued to be trouble free on every box I ran it on, till MOSnet took over on my Pegasos machines.

CISC, I don't think I've seen you post anything that wasn't totally negative for a long time. You didn't used to be like that. I know people are wrong sometimes, but cripes! Take it easy a little, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
  • »28.05.07 - 04:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

CISC I have to disagree with you about Miami corrupting data. That sounds like bullshit to me.

I can assure you it's not, and just sending lots of data on a single TCP connection does not equate stressing the stack .. your "problem" was that you never had a really demanding network application, like f.ex. BitTorrent...

Quote:

CISC, I don't think I've seen you post anything that wasn't totally negative for a long time. You didn't used to be like that. I know people are wrong sometimes, but cripes!

Really, you're not doing a very big effort of looking then. I'm "negative" when the situation calls for (and deserves) it, this has never changed, some would call it "telling it like it is", others apparently call it "negative", but that's not my problem .. I guess you just never were around at the "right" time (or in the "right" mindstate) to notice it.

Quote:

Take it easy a little, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I'm not interested in catching flies though. :P

- CISC
  • »28.05.07 - 06:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

CISC, I don't think I've seen you post anything that wasn't totally negative for a long time.

CISC is a programmer. It's not negativiy, it's objectiveness.

Quote:

I'm not interested in catching flies though.

Programmers catch bugs, not flies :-)
  • »28.05.07 - 07:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Quote:

CISC I have to disagree with you about Miami corrupting data. That sounds like bullshit to me. When I worked for AI we had a 4000T/Quickpak060 with an AriadneII and Miami. Our LAN was all 100Mbit capable so Miami could go as fast as hardware allowed, over 600K/sec sustained all the time. (All Classic ethernet cards being 10Mbps only) Never a bit of corruption, I could send a whole CD over to it and no problem, then send it back, no problem. I never lost a bit of data on my home 3000T/Cyberstorm/Cybervision

Ok, I have a full-speed 100Mbit ethernet connection to my Pegasos II at the university, and I can tell you when MiamiDX goes really fast (not only 600K but 6-7MB/s), it definetly corrupts data. (E.g. when downloading fast from somewhere, html pages and pictures come with CRC errors in IBrowse.)

About MOSNet: it is working, but it's now the 5th time I have switched back to MiamiDX from MOSNet, because Miami is still better (even if it corrupts data) in my opinion. (E.g. the latest best thing I got with MOSNet is that it connected with 10Mbit occasionally. It also doesn't have any debbugging capability: if it couldn't connect to the network it doesn't even tell me.)

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2007/5/28 8:45 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »28.05.07 - 08:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

CISC I have to disagree with you about Miami corrupting data. That sounds like bullshit to me.

That claim sounds like bullshit to me, as I can also confirm that data corruption. And it's NOT a corruption, which "just slows things down" by having to send same data over and over again. It's corruption which happens where no corruption should (read: on TCP level), which results in seemingly random corruption in downloads, broken images in web browsers (sometimes so broken, that they will crash the enitre web browser) etc.

But indeed as you said, if you do not stress it much at all - for example if there are only a few connections and you send lots of data over them, then it mostly works, and this entire "feature" might go totally unnoticed.

The lack of this corruption feature (along with being able to obtain non-restricted version legally) is the only thing where MOSnet is better. But as that's quite important feature (at least for me), the switch was easy.

Although I have thought of updating to the 68k AmiTCP/Genesis some day, I'm just too lazy :-)
  • »28.05.07 - 11:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Well Ok then. I was wrong. BitTorrent didn't exist for the Amiga back then, so I couldn't have tested it that hard. I did a lot of Amster sharing with it, with no problems. Plus, the drivers for old 68k Amiga hardware were pretty mature even back then. Do other stacks use the same pegasos hardware drivers? If they do, and there's no corruption there, then it's definitely Miami's fault. If they don't, then I wouldn't be 100 percent sure that it wasn't a driver issue. Especially in the Pegasos I era when this debate was really going like gangbusters.

Miami was a great stack in its day though, and for the hardware it was written on. I think it got left behind though :-(
  • »28.05.07 - 18:18
    Profile Visit Website