Another nice X11 App
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    If you look at this news item: GAIM IM CLIENT is now working on that X11 stuff OS4 does. I would like to learn more about how to do this on MorphOS. This is one application I could use a lot. I use it all the time on Linux.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.05.07 - 20:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    I would prefer a native port otherwise I think its easier to boot just Linux.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.05.07 - 21:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    For me Gaim is not important enough application to pollute Morphos
    with X11. To be more precise, there is no application worth doing
    that. But I could stand even such a quick (X11) port of AbiWord.
    Moreover, I would be really appreciate for it. But only as a temporary
    solution. Because we've already had many communicators (for example
    excellent AmiGG - unfortunately mainly useful only for polish users)
    and we still suffer from lack of any GOOD word processor.

So, people, please don't be so enthusiastic about X11. It kills amiga
    feeling on MorphOS.
  • »02.05.07 - 23:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    koan
    Is there really such a big difference between an app that uses ixemul.library and some "X11" type app ? X11 is just one more layer on ixemul.

For stuff that isn't processor intensive, I don't see how an app like this is worth booting to linux for.
  • »03.05.07 - 08:14
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

So, people, please don't be so enthusiastic about X11. It kills amiga

The lack of such apps kills amiga.

i'm not a X11-on-amiga fan though.
  • »03.05.07 - 08:31
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Sir_Lucas
    I totally agree with you. X11 is something which comes from Linux, so why using it if we have excellent MUI. Come on, let's not change our Morphos machines and systems into Linux boxes ;)
  • »03.05.07 - 08:52
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

Kamul wrote:
    So, people, please don't be so enthusiastic about X11. It kills amiga feeling on MorphOS.

It may not be a clean, pure MOS application, but using X11 on MorphOS can be an important step in the porting of an application. I draw on the example of OpenOffice.org on the Mac, which was built against X11.

Each porting phase takes one more feature out of the X11 interface and implements it in Cocoa, meaning it's not a straight drop-and-port project where you cannot see the progress of your work as you go along.

X11 would be useful as a stepping stone in these situations. And would give the power of X11 applications running across a network.
  • »03.05.07 - 09:20
  • Fab
  • MorphOS Developer
    Fab
    Porting most of these applications is just a straight configure/make with ixemul. And in no case it can be considered as a first porting phase. All the work resides in switching from to X11/ixemul to intuition-mui/libnix.
  • »03.05.07 - 13:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Of course its easier than booting linux. You X11 apps run on just another intuition screen. You can have, for example, AbiWord, Gaim and The GIMP running on the X11 screen, while at the same time have AmiNetRadio, AmIRC and CubicIDE running on the Ambient screen.

That has got to be *much* easier than quitting all your apps, rebooting into linux, loading the linux apps you want to use, saving to a shared partition and rebooting back into MorphOS.

Also, it *does* aid porting. Lets say you port AbiWord to X11. You can immediately test the port to make sure it works. Then you can start to gradually move the interface to a native MUI one. Start with the easy things like file and font requesters, then dialog boxes, then configuration stuff, and finally the main UI.

Without the X11 stuff, you have to do a *LOT* more work before you can even test if it works!

[ Edited by xeron on 2007/5/3 14:42 ]

[ Edited by xeron on 2007/5/3 15:01 ]
    Pegasos 1 April 2, MorphOS 1.4.5
    AmigaOne XE/G4, OS4 Beta
    Various classic machines
  • »03.05.07 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    if you lot truly are interested in getting X11 apps to morphos
    I suggest you start working on updating libx11 from aminet
    to recent X11 standards and stop muckinh around with rubbish
    like this.

libx11 is probably 5000 times better as a solution to porting X11 apps than this...
    backwards... old... crappy solution.
    libx11 will give faster apps, better gui (MUI) etc. etc. etc.
  • »03.05.07 - 17:47
    MarK
    when talking about gaim issues... why the StrICQ doesn't work? jabberwocky is a solution... but it's really not nice and simple... imo, x11 for gaim would be just the base for many other x11 applications... if you think, that x11 would kill amiga/pegasos, don't you think, it's already dead? x11 could bring new applications to it...

bye, MarK.
  • »04.05.07 - 06:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    I think it is better that we don't have such an app at all, than
    having some crappy X11 half-port. Because if we had that, it might
    dissuade someone from doing a real app, 'because we already have
    something'. Just look at any linux distribution, it's full of old crud
    that isn't compatible with the standard window manager, often very
    simple tools, just because 'it works' and nobody bothered to do it
    right for 10 years.

I can understand the argument for AbiWord though, because sometimes
    you really need to decrypt such documents. But isn't there some
    command line tool somewhere to convert .doc to something readable,
    that could be ported instead?
  • »04.05.07 - 15:46
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jcmarcos
    Quote:

merko wrote:

isn't there some command line tool somewhere to convert .doc to something readable, that could be ported instead?

media-convert.com
  • »04.05.07 - 16:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

@xeron:
    Also, it *does* aid porting. Lets say you port AbiWord to X11. You can immediately test the port to make sure it works. Then you can start to gradually move the interface to a native MUI one. Start with the easy things like file and font requesters, then dialog boxes, then configuration stuff, and finally the main UI.

Without the X11 stuff, you have to do a *LOT* more work before you can even test if it works!

Nonsense, you've got it completely backwards, fudging around with a semi-X11/semi-native port will slow down the port, not speed it up, and that's the best-case scenario for an app with a well abstracted UI (and I can't even tell what you're trying to say with the "test if it works" comment .. why wouldn't it work (and even if it didn't it'd be likely to be because you screwed up some X11-dependent component you won't be needing anyway)?)...

Nothing stops you from starting a port by disabling the stuff you won't need, and gradually replace those bits .. it's even quite a bit more efficient as it's likely everything relies on the core UI engine anyway (almost always the case with X11 stuff). The lack of an initial UI is no showblocker, and any arbitrary problems you might stumble across on the way will either be directly related to what you've already done (thus have intimate knowledge of), or an inherent problem in the app (endianness or whatever)...

By porting from the ground up instead of top-to-bottom you get to know the internal workings of the app from the beginning instead of drudging towards the bottom only to find out you completely fubared everything due to not fully understanding how something worked, and have to redesign/code stuff all over again (granted, it's possible to do this either way, but less likely when you start from the inside).

Quote:

@Merko:
    But isn't there some
    command line tool somewhere to convert .doc to something readable,
    that could be ported instead?

There's Antiword ofcourse (it's even already ported and available on the homepage)...

- CISC
  • »04.05.07 - 19:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Georg
    I agree with xeron. Also in MorphOS you initially used 68k AOS components before reimplementing them with native PPC ones. In AROS where this was mostly not the case or not possible (once just about everyone used x86) a few stupid things happened which would not have happened otherwise/would have been noticed earlier.
  • »05.05.07 - 21:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Also in MorphOS you initially used 68k AOS components before reimplementing them with native PPC ones. In AROS where this was mostly not the case or not possible (once just about everyone used x86) a few stupid things happened which would not have happened otherwise/would have been noticed earlier.

But that's completely different, those are mostly completely self-contained independent modules (yes, they rely on others, and others rely on them, but it's a totally different kind of interaction than say the UI of an app, which you will replace completely, and most likely the replacement will work in a vastly different way than the original, therefore it doesn't make sense to leave any of the old stuff in there as they will only complicate the process).

It just simply does not work mixing two radically different approaches in a halfbreed product if your aim is to make something sane and functional (and/or leave your mind as such) at the end.

- CISC
  • »05.05.07 - 21:55
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Kaczus
    There are 2 application to instant message protocol still under
    develop. gadami (support gg protocol only) (webpage in Polish only)
    http://meecash.republika.pl/gadami/
    amigg (support gg, tlen) (webpage in Polish only, but program use
    locale) http://amigg.integradesign.org/index.php?k=gl If You support
    developers, maybe they add other protocols.
    Kaczus/BlaBla & AUG-Lodz Happy Pegasos User
  • »06.05.07 - 07:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    MinisterQ
    Yes yes. And Jabber is on the way, btw.
  • »07.05.07 - 11:43
    Profile Visit Website
    MarK
    jabber works and micq works too... but... it's not comfortable to use them. and afair, jabber doesn't support central europian charsets... it would be great, if someone would extract and expand the icq support from jabber. dunno, but imo, the icq is the best messaging protocol available...

bye, MarK.
  • »07.05.07 - 12:15
  • Just looking around
    MinisterQ
    You know - I'm from Poland, and for me support for central european charset(s) is an essenctial thing. ;)
    That's why my opinion about Jabberwoocky is... not so... khm... sophisticated. ;)
    And ICQ... well. Protocol like protocol. Its not strike me down personally. ;)
  • »07.05.07 - 12:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Hehe. There IS a jabber for MOS supporting any charsets you want. All you need is just an ASCII file with charset conversion table. The one going with ttf manager could be taken.
    http://amirus.org.ru/files.html
    WBR, Vladimir Berezenko
  • »08.05.07 - 07:01
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

Nonsense, you've got it completely backwards, fudging around with a semi-X11/semi-native port will slow down the port, not speed it up,

X11 makes it faster to do 1/8-assed recompiles instead of proper ports. In some way it also discourages anyone from doing a proper port, just "becouse it already works somehow"
  • »08.05.07 - 12:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Crumb
    @Jupp3

I don't think so. Seeing that a program like Mozilla *can* run will probably increase interest in making a native GUI.
  • »08.05.07 - 13:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Crumb wrote:
    @Jupp3

I don't think so. Seeing that a program like Mozilla *can* run will probably increase interest in making a native GUI.

/sarcastic mode on

Nahhhhh
    if it somehow work, why bother ??
    too much work to redesign/port to the amiga gui

/sarcastic mode off

:D

[ Edited by raistlin77it on 2007/5/8 21:29 ]
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »08.05.07 - 22:28
    MarK
    yes...

why to make it native? i still use lots of 68k applications, because i like them... and i don't need them native. it would be nice, if they would be native, but else i don't care... just make them natively executable (through some automatic launcher?) and i will be happy...

like dosbox and it's rundos...

bye, MarK.
  • »09.05.07 - 05:55