Efika and MorphOS supported video cards
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Just ordered my Efika today BTW. I have a question on video cards with trying to keep MorphOS usage down the line in mind. I realize going with an AGP card may make for a more compact Efika package. And that AGP is normally superior to PCI. But since its an AGP riser going through a PCI slot, for performance when it comes out under MorphOS I think I would want a 256MB Radeon 9250 rather than a 128MB model. The only AGP 256MB I see is not a half height card. :( I am thinking that since it ultimately goes through a PCI slot on the board to provide an AGP connector that a 256MB 9250 Radeon PCI would outperform a AGP 128MB version since the AGP connection is really through the PCI slot ultimately on the Efika board? I think I'd rather the extra video RAM be there with the Efika in a taller case. I just don't know much about AGP running through PCI, but I'm figuring you really aren't gaining the normal advantage off a native AGP slot?

Also finding 3.3 volt specs to ensure the video card selected is the right voltage appears to be a pain.
  • »09.02.07 - 20:39
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    logain
    Welcome fairlanefastback!

Quote:

Just ordered my Efika today BTW

Waiting for MorphOS' release for my order (already running MorphOS on my Pegasos and on my A1200).
    Its a pretty nice board and as soon as you can see MorphOS performing on it i guess you gonna fall in love with both of them :-}

Quote:

I think I would want a 256MB Radeon 9250 rather than a 128MB model. The only AGP 256MB I see is not a half height card

Vesalia is selling a half-height AGP Radeon 9250 with 256MB for ~50? (suitable for Efika). So such versions are available and relatively cheap. Its also passively cooled, which I deem to be more important than the amount of graphics mem it has or its 3D-benchmark for that matter.
    Also check out PicoPSU, probably most future Efika/MOS owners gonna use these..

Quote:

Also finding 3.3 volt specs to ensure the video card selected is the right voltage appears to be a pain

I know, took me some time too as many shops dont pay attention to this issue.
    AGPx1/x2 cards need or at least support 3.3V but there are AGPx4/x8 cards which are 1.5/0.8V only.
    Many cards however are Universal AGP cards, means that they run in any kind of AGP slot. Best is you ask beforehand (and return it if "it doesnt work as advertised") or directly buy from a shop which tested it with Efika. Make sure this card is supported and has also 3D support for MorphOS. Radeon 9250 seem to be fine although its 'a bit' overpowered for this machine imo. :-}
  • »10.02.07 - 01:51
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    |||

[ Edited by Velcro_SP 17.09.2011 - 10:11 ]
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »11.02.07 - 11:43
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Please remember AGP card is mounted in 90? angle i.e. horizontally when PCI card is mounted vertically (see image).

[ Edited by itix on 2007/2/11 14:11 ]
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »11.02.07 - 12:10
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    Thanks logain!

I just put in the request for the order with Vesalia. Their system said they would email me with the calculated shipping costs etc. So long as that turns out to be reasonable I'll order the video card for my system from them. I like the idea of supporting a vendor that resells MorphOS hardware anyway for sure. :-D :-D
  • »12.02.07 - 05:04
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    fairlanefastback
    I just ordered the Radeon 9250 AGP 256MB card from Vesalia. I never have owned a machine with more video RAM than system RAM! LOL!

[ Edited by fairlanefastback on 2007/2/12 11:47 ]
  • »12.02.07 - 16:47