Pegasos discontinued, no new MorphOS hardware
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    The Pegasos era has now come to an end; the Pegasos is now discontinued.

The last few remaining boards are being put on sale for $399.

http://bbrv.blogspot.com/2006/11/coffee-tea-or-pegasosppc.html

Anyone wanting to try out MorphOS better act now, since this will be the last chance to buy brand new MorphOS hardware (well, there might be some in stock at Amiga dealers as well).
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.11.06 - 12:04
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Great, so we are in the same situation like OS4 now. Only PPC makes it possible! ;-)
  • »05.11.06 - 12:09
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    @ quadpol

Quote:

Great, so we are in the same situation like OS4 now.

It seems so. At least for the time being. :-(

Quote:

Only PPC makes it possible!

Well you know, there *are* PPC hardware available, which MorphOS runs on. So it's not a "PPC-thing"! ;-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »05.11.06 - 12:12
    Kronos
    Not yet, as Pegs are still in stock.

We might get into the same situation if the MOS-team decides to act as ( insert some nice words here) as a certain other OS-team.....
  • »05.11.06 - 12:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Well you know, there *are* PPC hardware available, which MorphOS runs on. So it's not a "PPC-thing"! ;-)

But in one month, there won't be any platform for sale anymore, that is *officially* supported by Morphos - and apparently, the MOS-team so far didn't consider any other (non-Genesi) platforms for their OS.
  • »05.11.06 - 12:23
  • News Moderator
    News Moderator
    Darth_X
    It looks like there are only 14 boards left in the picture!
    When you have eliminated all which is impossible,
    then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth!!! - Sherlock Holmes
  • »05.11.06 - 12:28
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Genesi
    @Darth_X :-)

We have a few more. We will save a few and there are still ODWs as well.

R&B
  • »05.11.06 - 12:50
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

We have a few more. We will save a few and there are still ODWs as well.

Will the last $399 PegasosPPC boards only be available from Genesi directly or also from some dealers (e.g. Vesalia)?
    Is there also any discount planned for the ODWs?
  • »05.11.06 - 13:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    robjoh
    So let me see if I understand this correct:

Some few motherboards are left and a couple of ODWs, after that no more hardware that MorphOS can run on?

Is it officiell then? Morph is dead, in that meaning that it will be improssible to get new users. Or will the MorphOS team reconsider and do a port to EFIKA or the OSW when it arrieves or any other hardware sold today?
  • »05.11.06 - 13:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    ohhh! why i'm not surprised? it is simply to "force" the MOS Team to release MOS for "other" mobos! don't you?

Genesi marketing scheme, as usual. :-/
  • »05.11.06 - 13:22
    Kronos
    @Framiga

Woh !!! Weird sense of humor you got there :-o 8-)
  • »05.11.06 - 13:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    i'm not joking at all!
  • »05.11.06 - 13:36
    Kronos
    Oki, so your just completly disconected from reality ......

Really, Genesi won't do any more Peg2-production-runs for one and only one reason, they don't consider it worthwhile.

Wether it is because an RoHS-version would cost to much, there is no market for such board or if they think they gonna be able to fill the gap with new products real soon is anybodies guess, but the idea they would discontinue a product, just to force the MOS-team into supporting into another product is insane (and thats actually worded midly)
  • »05.11.06 - 13:48
    hooligan
    Wasnt this expected after all those rohs-discussions?

Sad still. The hardware is good, Genesi and bPlan did good job, that I dont think anyone will or can deny.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »05.11.06 - 14:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    Kronos

thats only your biased POV and please next time take that "insane" and "so your just completly disconected from reality" for a friend of yours or to your sister/brother

• »05.11.06 - 14:12
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    nine
    Quote:

thats only your biased POV and please next time take that "insane" and "so your just completly disconected from reality" for a friend of yours or to your sister/brother

Yes, it is his biased POV - and your biased POV is "Genesi are stopping production of the board to force MOS team to develop the OS for another board".

Stop and take a step back. The Peg2 design is a little dated, probably has relatively small uptake at the moment and probably isn't financially viable to continue production of.

There are clearly two other designs that will fit requirements nicely, and from recent chatter on the OSW board pricing it doesn't look as though progress is going to cost the end user a whole lot more cash.

I don't see malice here. I see what happens when it comes to the end of the life of a product.
  • »05.11.06 - 15:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    No surprise here. The Peg is 5 years old now. It is time to move on for Genesi / Bplan.
  • »05.11.06 - 16:13
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    sad to hear, it was a very nice board. thankfully I got my Peg2 JIT :-)

Let's hope the MOS guys have already prepared for this event (its not like it's such a great surprise afterall) and have kept their code nice and modular/portable for "easily" port to generic x86 platforms ;-)

No more reliance on hardware manufactures, pls.
  • »05.11.06 - 16:53
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    MikeB
    The Pegasos 1 and 2 were good hardware, so well done bPlan. However now I hope the MorphOS team would consider supporting the Panda and Sam440 as well.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/features/index.php?op=r&cat_id=1&rev_id=150&sort_by

IMO the involved parties like Guru Meditation and Soft3 both have excellent reputations within the Amiga Community.
  • »05.11.06 - 18:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    yes, spend all that effort portit to Panda, Sam or whatever its called and have the exact same problem 1< year when they too stop manufacturing h/w.

i think its a solution only if the port would be trivial

[ Edited by Nigel101 on 2006/11/5 18:40 ]
  • »05.11.06 - 18:40
    Kronos
    Dunno bout the italians, but Troika have allready built them a reputation that noone sane would tousch them with a barge-pole.

Add to that that neither Panda nor Sam would even be remotly suitable for desktop use (and far to expensive for anything else).
  • »05.11.06 - 18:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    judas
    I hope support will be up for some time, just in case one of my 4 Pegs would fail.... True ???

All in all I don't think there's Genesi/Bplan to blame for the end of Peg2's HW.
    I am not dissappointed by the Hardware, but by the SW !
    MorphOS never came up with support for firewire, USB, Gigabit... not even after years....
    .. this showed me the hard way, what the disadvantages of closed software really are ...

I bought 4 PEGs, because I wanted MorphOS !!
    It`s a combination of HW and SW ... if I wanted just one of them, I never would have bought a PEG.

Please think about it ..
  • »05.11.06 - 19:48
    hooligan
    Quote:

judas wrote:
    ... USB...

Excuse me? :-?
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »05.11.06 - 20:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

MorphOS never came up with support for firewire, USB, Gigabit... not even after years....
    .. this showed me the hard way, what the disadvantages of closed software really are ...

Except this is not a monolithic kernel like most opensource OSes where you need full source access to write any driver.
    *Any* competent and motivated programmer could do support for most available hardware. Using openpci f.e.

So, this claim/excuse doesn't stand :-)
  • »05.11.06 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    AMiGR
    Quote:

No support for USB? Huh? And who stops you or any other developer from writing a driver?
    Alkis Tsapanidis
  • »05.11.06 - 20:37
    Profile Visit Website