PS3 MOS Port
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    ok, so I see they are discussing this option on aw.net for AOS and I was wondering if it would be possible for a PS3 port of MOS? Maybe a port of MOS v1.5 which - we all know - is due out in 2 weeks time. (tm) (:P)

So, what are the liklyhood of such a port? Is it probable and worthwhile? PS3 is basically a home Supercomputer with standadized hardware supplying all needed i/o interfaces. The standardization is surely a benefit to MOS dev team? It would eliminate the variation in gfx card issue, for example and they could focus on creating an uber fantastic 3D driver for the PS3's video hardware!

The price of PS3 will initially be high of course but this will drop amazingly within 2 years and these things will be manufactured well into the next decade in unbelievable quantities. It will not be too long before to are pickingup a PS3 in Walmart for $200.

Also, consider the future-proof nature of porting to PS3. Sony have had great sucess of keeping backward compatibility for PSOne on the PS2. Same will be true for PSOne and PSTwo on the new PSThree. Chances are a MOS PS3 port today will be 100% compatible with Sony's PSFOUR. Consider that...it's a beautiful thought :-)

Would be nice to hear everyones comment and thoughts, especially from some people from Mos-dev team who will have some idea of the difficulty involved. What is the biggest hurdle for such a port? Are there any plans, is it a good idea for the future of MOS?
  • »01.11.06 - 15:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    Producing software (was it an OS or something else) requires an approval from Sony. And even when a project is approved they can shutdown your project at anytime... In short: when developing for PlayStation you are under their ruling.
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »01.11.06 - 15:25
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Nitro
    Even if any OS was ported to PS3, would the PS3 need a mod chip or require the OS to be distributed by a publisher that can produce media that will run or install on it?
  • »01.11.06 - 15:56
    hooligan
    Quote:

ok, so I see they are discussing this option on aw.net for AOS...

Well they sort of have to as they have no hardware to buy, and doesnt look too bright for the current hw-projects which have been ongoing for a quite a while now either.

Quote:

... and I was wondering if it would be possible for a PS3 port of MOS?

Pretty thought. Technically it is possible but in practise no. Imagine the topic as me and 15 women spending a weekend together naked in bed... very much possible, but the chances for that happen are pretty slim.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »01.11.06 - 16:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    @nitro

Good question, i'm not sure. I'm guessing any application developer will need some kind of communication/agreement with Sony as Itix said. At the least they would need PS3 hardware/API details/docs and this can only come from Sony unless you wait 2+ years for the "homebrew" scene to figure things out and supply modchips, compilers, etc. :-) I wonder how Yellow Dog managed to port Linux to PS3: http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061018/BUSINESS/610180339 . I guess this was authourized by Sony and they probably supplied them with a devkit and PS3 info?? Don't really know.

@hooligan

i like the idea of imagining the 15 naked women in a bed (minus you of course ;)

anyway you're right. for me and you and the few who are prepared to pay $800+ for an Peg2 there is no real need. but we are a limited army with deep pockets! :-) i don't know anyone that is not an Amiga obsessed nut that would paying $800+ for underpowered hardware JUST so that they can tryout some OS they've never even heard of. but I know lots of homebrew console hackers/developers who'd definitely give MOS a try on their PS3s and would love it for it's simplicity to code for.

I just think there is no comparison between the expensive hardware option we have now and a mass produced _popular_ home "Superconsole" which would outperform a Peg2 by a large factor at console prices.

*IF* a ps3 port was possible, it would open MOS up to a very large audience of potential MOS application developers, which is the one thing MOS is missing. Like that guy from MicroSoft said: "developers, DEVELOPERS....DEVOPERS!!!" thats the biggest thing an OS needs :-)
  • »01.11.06 - 16:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    it's only me, or Mzone this days is really like AW.net ?

Why this 3d and the sam440 appear here too?
    I'm nerdy in the extreme
    And whiter than sour cream

White&Nerdy 2006 Al Yankovic
  • »01.11.06 - 17:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    Hi all !
    @raistlin77it
    You're completly right.
    They are trying to find a saint to bring them new REAL hope, that only Genesi and BPlan can bring them ;-), the only ones know to still make real working hardware, and the only ones to accomplish theirs projects.
    This also means a lot of things, especially that time has changed.
    @Nigel101
    Sony shoot down Lik-Sang that many of us loved -> 1st bad point for Sony, and as Itix explained only Sony can agreed the project and burn a compatible disc to use on their machine -> 2nd bad point... which is nearly gaming machine only -> half part of the 3rd bad point...
    $800 for Peg2 ??? amazing !! I would say 600 Euros (for example vesalia.de), I know more people that would pay $1200 for any kind of working AmigaOne (there is something funny in this sentence's part), and as much people that would pay $600 for a bppc or cppc... So, I'm sure that the PS3 is not candidate, because it's TOO CHEAP !!! -> second part of the 3rd bad point.
    @hooligan
    All you need for 15 women are money, maybe Via8ra, ice to delay "eject" and to bring others sensations, and also analgesic for the pain after 30 min... so there is nothing impossible ;-)
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »01.11.06 - 22:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hawk
    We will have YellowDog linux for PS3, with the latest Enlightenment, and with kernel code from the Barcelona Super Computer Center. Better focus your efforts on Linux than MOS or AOS. At least for the PS3.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/news/2006/2006-10-17.shtml
    Pegasos II G3@600Mhz (no fan) 512MB RAM (1 slot)
    -- Maxtor 6Y120P0 120GB, 7200 rpm -- ATI Radeon 7500 - (64MB, TV-out)
    -- Minuet Slimline PC case -- MorphOS 1.4.5 + Gentoo
    EFIKA
  • »02.11.06 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    @raistlin77it:
    Can it be possible that Mzoners doesn't (under)/stand choice? :-? :-? I thought this space was open minded... well let's make an aw.net bashing then, it seem the coolest thing to do nowadays...

icon_dance.gif icon_dance.gif icon_dance.gif icon_dance.gif
    :roll:

[ Edited by pixie on 2006/11/3 7:22 ]
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »03.11.06 - 00:18
    hooligan
    @Pixie

Oh please...
  • »03.11.06 - 04:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Nigel101
    k, so its a extreme idea maybe (porting MOS to PS3) and i understand why people are mocking it but sometimes if you just talk of the unrealistic you can arrive onto a middle ground which is more realistic. i guess the post should not have been "MOS Port to PS3" as the real thought behind THAT idea is not so really about a PS3 port. It's more about the idea to porting MOS to a MORE MAINSTREAM platform and opening the flood-gate to more exposure/users/developers? That's the real point I think.

I could raise the idea about is it possible for an x86 port, as i think that would be the ultimate possitive action for MOS in the long run. Even Apple have realized they cannot continue to grow in the prison of overpriced PPC based systems but this (Intel) idea seems an anathema to the MOS-team. Of course, the must be getting lots of developer funding and moral support from IBM to help keep them tied to it (NOT!) :-)

but, aaaaanyway, it seems there is very little interest in discussing platform options or alternatives for MOS. As a newbie I wasn't really aware of that. If you do discuss ideas you just get laughed at by regular users pretending they have a "higher understanding" of the issues involved and the MOS-team-ideal and politics. or just the usual cynical responces. I don't know why a port does not seem to be a big focus for MOS, I'm not inside the magic circle. Perhaps there really is no motivation, perhaps it's a side-effect of having a forum tied to Genesi severs, perhaps *NO* port to anything else is possible because it is just such a huge task for a small team as theirs. Who knows, certainly not me. :-)
  • »03.11.06 - 07:59
    hooligan
    Ok, lets go with this. Lets start from the basics..
    who will buy PS3 for all the members of MorphOS-team?

Ambient developers might want one too. Shall we set up a bounty? ;-)
  • »03.11.06 - 09:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    [not completely off topic]

Genesi is sponsoring the Gentoo port on PS3.
    This is gonna be a very sweet box !
  • »03.11.06 - 10:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Quote:

hooligan wrote:
    Ok, lets go with this. Lets start from the basics..
    who will buy PS3 for all the members of MorphOS-team?

Ambient developers might want one too. Shall we set up a bounty? ;-)

Was it really needed an EFIKA for each member of MorphOS-Team?
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »03.11.06 - 12:55
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Fransexy
    Quote:

Even Apple have realized they cannot continue to grow in the prison of overpriced PPC based systems

PPC are not overpriced, Apple overpriced their PPC based system because they did not have competition on desktop PPC market and we all know how bad is not have competition.With the change to intel they even overpriced more their G5 system to pretend that their switch to intel is justified.

Repit with me: the apple switch to intel is only a political change, has nothing to do with technical or economical reasons

[ Edited by Fransexy on 2006/11/5 1:07 ]

[ Edited by Fransexy on 2006/11/5 1:10 ]
  • »05.11.06 - 00:04