ALGOR Pro and MorphOS: Revisited [FIXED]
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Right, this is pretty weird (and frustrating).

I haven't used MorphOS on my Amiga 4000 for a while so today I thought I'd boot it up and try out some new apps.

I have had problems with MorphOS and my Algor Pro USB card before, and I was certain I had solved them once and for all with Chris Hodges' new bootloader for the Algor FlashROM, and the previous version of module.com1.

For some strange reason it just refuses to boot up no matter what I do.

Startup gets executed, the modules get loaded, and then the computer reboots. I get a black screen while the hard disk and CDROM get probed, then a pause. Finally, the hard disk makes a noise and appears to load for 1 second, then stops dead, screen remains black.

It will only boot up if I remove the Algor card. It doesn't make a difference if I have the FlashROM empty or filled with my patches, and it doesn't make a difference which Zorro slot I have the Algor inserted into.

Changing between Permanent and Standard MorphOS bootloaders makes no difference. I have tried backing up and starting from scratch with a blank partition formatted with various older versions of SFS - but surely this shouldn't make a difference as my installation works flawlessly when the Algor card is removed.

I have no idea what has suddenly caused my setup to stop working and I just cannot think of a single thing that has changed since it was last working.

Can anyone help me at all? I really want to keep the Algor in the machine and use MorphOS at the same time because I use a lot of patches in FlashROM as well as the USB.

BTW, this is my startup-sequence:
    Code:

;
    ; This is the MorphOS loader startup-sequence. If you set the MorphOS partition as bootable,
    ; this file would cause MorphOS to get loaded on boot automaticly.
    ;
    ; By default MorphOS boots without using the ROM contents of your Amiga. If you wish to
    ; make it use the kickstart contents (to be able to use trackdisk.device for example)
    ; please follow those steps:
    ;
    ; 1) Check if you have a correct kickstart file:
    ; The Kickstart version required are:
    ; Amiga4000/4000T/3000 - 40.68 or 40.70
    ; Amiga1200 - 40.68
    ; Is is advised that you use the unpatched ROM files
    ;
    ; 2) Move or delete fakerom.elf from boot/extmoudles
    ;
    ; 3) Change the kickstart variable, remember to tune the file path

set kickstart "kickstart=roms/rom3.1"
    ;set kickstart "nokickstart"

; Bootdevice can be used to specify the MorphOS partition if you have more than one
    ; bootable partition and the MorphOS one doesn't have the highest boot priority. Remember
    ; to use partition names, not volume names! This option requires the 'bootdevice' keyword
    ; like in the example below:
    ; set bootdevice "bootdevice=DH1"
    ; Leave the var blank if you want to boot from the default boot partition!

set bootdevice "bootdevice=DH1"

; The resetlevel and delay variables are there for you to tweak if MorphOS startup doesn't
    ; reboot the machine properly after loading MorphOS files.
    ;
    ; The possible resetlevel values are:
    ; 0 exec/coldreboot (System Reboot)
    ; 1 MMU switch off + normal reset in chipram (default)
    ; 2 MMU switch off + double reset in chipram
    ; 3 MMU switch off + Cyberstorm HW Reset in chipram
    ; 4 for (;;);..waiting for manual reset by your hands:-)
    ; 5 MMU switch off + normal reset in fastram
    ; 6 MMU switch off + double reset in fastram
    ; 7 MMU switch off + Cyberstorm HW Reset in fastram
    ;
    ; NOTE: most common setting for BlizzardPPC is resetlevel 1 and 5 for CyberStormPPC!

set resetlevel 5
    set delay 1

; Load the MorphOS loader!

cd sys:boot
    startup hal=roms/hal.com1 kernel=roms/kernel.com1 abox=roms/abox2.com1 module=roms/module.com1 resetlevel=$resetlevel ramdebug verbose debug EDebugFlags="NoLogServer NoLogWindow" sumkick disableled delay=$delay extmodules=extmodules/#? $bootdevice $kickstart

Thanks for your help :-)

[ Edited by d0pefish on 2006/9/25 22:15 ]

[ Edited by d0pefish on 2006/9/27 20:39 ]
  • »25.09.06 - 23:10
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    DJBase
    Hm, I have no idea. Algor Pro works here with the latest Bootloader.
    Mac mini, PowerPC G4 1.5 GHz, ATI Radeon 9200 64 MB, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, MorphOS 3.18
    PowerBook, PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, ATI Radeon 9700 128 MB, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB mSATA HDD, MorphOS 3.18
  • »26.09.06 - 20:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

d0pefish wrote:
    I have had problems with MorphOS and my Algor Pro USB card before, and I was certain I had solved them once and for all with Chris Hodges' new bootloader for the Algor FlashROM, and the previous version of module.com1.

Did you try to boot with lmb pressed all the time? I don't know what MOS does when the flash content is already installed. Since the flash is executed on a reboot/powerup its contents _is_ active when you invoke the MOS startup. You can only prevent that by pressing lmb. You need to press lmb again if you go through the "Early Startup menu" to select the boot partition. Thats because this will trigger an additional reboot which would then activate the previously skipped flash.

Quote:

It will only boot up if I remove the Algor card. It doesn't make a difference if I have the FlashROM empty or filled with my patches, and it doesn't make a difference which Zorro slot I have the Algor inserted into.

Thats strange. I would have expected that it would work with an empty flash.

Quote:

Code:

set kickstart "kickstart=roms/rom3.1"
    ;set kickstart "nokickstart"

Do you really need a true rom image?
  • »27.09.06 - 15:29
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Hi - thanks for your reply.

I have tried using the left mousebutton to disable the FlashROM, before Early Startup and after. And with Chris Hodges' MorphOS bootloader as well as the standard ones. No difference, it still won't boot.

However I have managed to get serial output and a whole lot of debug messages. Maybe some of the devs can try to interpret it and get an idea of what the problem might be? :-?

I grabbed two outputs, both with the Algor inserted.

The first is with FakeRom and no real Kickstart image.
    See here: Download TXT

With FakeRom, the serial output stops dead with a final message.

The second is with my kick3.1 image.
    See here: Download TXT

With the kick3.1 image, I get an endless loop of seemingly the same messages. I captured several iterations before stopping the log.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • »27.09.06 - 21:02
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    FIXED!!

Oh my god, I have no idea why I didn't try this before.

I am SO SORRY for wasting you guys' time. :( :( :( :(

All I did was remove my X-Surf network card, and it booted up flawlessly.

Then I gave the Zorro slot and edge connector contacts a good clean, and now it's working again with all my hardware installed.

Must have been a really weird glitch. The X-Surf functioned fine under OS3.9!?

Anyway, I can go crack open a few beers and finally put my Amiga back together. :)

Thanks for trying to help me anyway, I appreciate it. :)

[ Edited by d0pefish on 2006/9/27 20:39 ]
  • »27.09.06 - 21:35