Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    So I took the plunge and did the online update of my Ubuntu Breezy. It took a while (as I was warned) but it appears to have been completely successful.

There is one little problem, however. My audio is broken. Perhaps I should have answered "no" to the suggestion to remove old packages after the update finished.

I'm getting an error message pertaining to "gstreamer" or something to that effect when I access the volume control.

Is there an easy fix for this? The device manager does show my SBLive card.
  • »11.08.06 - 18:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    you're probably still booting on your old kernel while the rest of it got updated. Automatic kernel update doesn't work on pegasos, unless you use Gunne's grub2 installation. Check www.ppczone.org as mentioned before to get more information about it. There's a thread about ubuntu.

[ Edited by SoundSquare on 2006/8/11 23:15 ]
  • »11.08.06 - 23:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Interesting that you mention that. I tried booting the new kernal first after the update and it just stalled. No indication of anything going on. I tried the original kernal and it booted normally. I will try the new kernal again.

Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    you're probably still booting on your old kernel while the rest of it got updated. Automatic kernel update doesn't work on pegasos, unless you use Gunne's grub2 installation. Check www.ppczone.org as mentioned before to get more information about it. There's a thread about ubuntu.

• »12.08.06 - 00:03
    gunne
    jdryyz,

This small problem with the sound seems to be a problem people get when updating from breezy -> dapper. Saw another person writing the same on pegasos.org.

Try this, in a terminal window:

# sudo modprobe snd-via82xx

# lsmod

shows all modules loaded and you should see one thats named: snd-via82xx

Please also see SoundSquare's post above concidering kernel.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »12.08.06 - 09:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    HI,

To do my upgrade without trouble, I decided to install Dapper from scratch with Gunne's Grub2 script.

Unfortunatly, I cant fing this script anywhere.
    Should somebody send it to me please?

Thanks
  • »14.08.06 - 15:59
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    --EDIT-- I did some quick checking and discovered the vmlinuz is the same as vmlinux except that its "zipped". Okay, so I should be able to boot the vmliux-2.6.15-26-powerpc kernal file just fine but no go. I tried it again and it seems like its about to work (spinning graphic thingy) but then nothing...the cursor just sits there on the OF prompt blinking.

~~~~
    Using the # before the commands didn't work for me. I tried without, was prompted for a password and was then able to list the modules. snd-via82xx is there.

Regarding the kernal, I noticed it isn't using a similar name as the previous release. it starts off with "vmlinux" instead of "vmlinuz". This doesn't have anything to do with the "chrp"requirement that was necessary when I first installed ubuntu breezy, does it?

Quote:

gunne wrote:
    jdryyz,

This small problem with the sound seems to be a problem people get when updating from breezy -> dapper. Saw another person writing the same on pegasos.org.

Try this, in a terminal window:

# sudo modprobe snd-via82xx

# lsmod

shows all modules loaded and you should see one thats named: snd-via82xx

Please also see SoundSquare's post above concidering kernel.

[ Edited by jdryyz on 2006/8/14 19:26 ]
  • »15.08.06 - 04:15
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I checked out the thread titled "Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper" but I'm more confused now than I was before. Shall I just try to install from a fresh iso of the latest release? But is that pegasos freindly as was breezy?

Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:

• »15.08.06 - 04:41
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    a couple of hints
    1) use gunne's grub thinga me.
    2) You MUST reformat Swap and main ("/")partion (well atleast the main one) if you don't the install will fail (well atleast it did for me the first time) and then you can't boot with the newer kernels, if you format then the only complaint is the yaboot thing which you can ignore.
  • »15.08.06 - 18:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Hi
    If you want to use your current MOS boot partition (bio according to peg2 manual) then you can use the Suse zimage from ppc zone to launch the install cd.

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/ubuntu_s_inst

The install should go well until the partiioning comes in. If you have a free disk or free unallocated space on a drive you can tell the installer to use that and it will automatically - do not worry if it returns a wrong value before it formats (its a known bug)

After you install you use this image to boot with:

http://genesi.hu/ubuntu/ubuntu_s_boot

magnetic

PS I see you are in Torrance. I live in Santa Monica, if you want to come by with your peg sometime I can help. It would be fun.
    8-)

[ Edited by magnetic on 2006/8/15 13:58 ]
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »15.08.06 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website
    gunne
    Hi,

Quote:

To do my upgrade without trouble, I decided to install Dapper from scratch with Gunne's Grub2 script.

Unfortunatly, I cant fing this script anywhere.
    Should somebody send it to me please?

You can find it from here, using the link in the post I made: LINK

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »18.08.06 - 20:17
    Profile Visit Website