Bounty for making a working Torrent client?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

And when talking about p2p/torrent GUIs, what happened to AmiGIFT? It seemed like a nice project but was halted back in 2004 if I remember correctly? It worked with the MOS-port of mldonkey and was therefore capable of downloading torrents.

Hi. I know what Amigift and mldonkey are but i don't understand what you mean by "amigift is working with mldonkey and was therefore capable of downloading torrents". :-? Can you please explain?
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »28.07.06 - 21:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    After reading the documentation I can say the two program is similar, because both of them can download from multiple networks, but that's all. I think they don't work together... :)

So.. AmiGIFT is a promising project. Unfortunately I couldn't try it out, because I don't know any of the networks what it supports, but I think writing a torrent plugin for AmiGIFT would be the best choice. There is also a MUI GUI (I think it supports almost everything we need), and it's also supporting more networks, as some of you needed. Well, what about a bounty for "Writing a new torrent client with mui gui OR writing a plugin for AmiGIFT?" Do we need this way a bounty for this at all?

I think we shall ask the authors first, is it possible to write the plugin or not. (But I think if there is AmiNET plugin too, it IS possible.)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »28.07.06 - 21:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    To clear things up a bit, giFT is a cross-platform suite of p2p-clients that boasts a standardized GUI protocol, making it easy for third parties to make different GUIs for it. Mldonkey supports the giFT GUI protocol, hence the possibility to use the AmiGIFT GUI to control mldonkey, both locally and remotely.

I know this works (somewhat buggy), because I used it myself.

However, mldonkey also has it's own GUI protocol that supports some options the giFT protocol doesn't. For a capabable coder experienced with MUI, I'd imagine a good GUI for mldonkey could be done in a relatively short time.

[ Edited by mikeri on 2006/7/29 3:34 ]
  • »29.07.06 - 03:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    the Amigift GUI (giFTMui) has been written from scratch by the author of Amigift (Diego Casorran).

Sorry but i don't follow your statement about the compatibility between Amigift amd Mldonkey.

Ah and yes.... a torrent Plugin is WIP for Amigift. (not available atm)

As soon as the sources of the docs about the daemon and available plugins will be released (NOT of the GUI) everyone will be free to write all the plugins he wants.

[ Edited by Framiga on 2006/7/29 11:12 ]
  • »29.07.06 - 11:07
  • Just looking around
    mikeri
    I'm repeating myself in multiples here.

I know the GUI is written from scratch, but it's still using the giFT GUI-protocol.

The giFT suite uses a *standardized GUI protcol*. This protocol is supported by mldonkey, as can be read here. (Search for gift on the page.) As AmiGIFT uses this protocol, it is possible to use the GUI included in AmiGIFT to control both local and remote mldonkeys. Again, I have done it myself.

How to do it? Fire up the GUI without launching the deamon and point the GUI to your running mldonkey using the IP settings. Should be quite simple. I can not guarantee that this will work on the newest version, since I haven't tried it myself yet.

[Update: I tried it just now, and some of the communication between mldonkey and giFTMui seems the be broken, both search results and transfer info are totally bullocks. On the more happy side, there is a Torrent-assistant visible (but grayed out) in the new giFTMui, hopefully a thing to come.]

As for the whole torrent-downloading-thing, I might have gone a little overboard in my statements, as there does not seem to be a way to send direct commands via giFT(Mui). This means giFTMui was only good for monitoring torrent transfers, not starting them.

I hope I explained myself well enough this time.

[ Edited by mikeri on 2006/7/29 13:39 ]
  • »29.07.06 - 12:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Then I think we don't need the bounty, just wait for the torrent plugin and the release of AmiGIFT, then donate the authors (if possible and they want).
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »30.07.06 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    you can donate/register just by now!

Amigift 2.0 pre release

ah... that "request" from the Amigift author for an AmigaNG hardware system, is valid for a Pegasos2 as well ;-)

Edit- just for correctness... about the BitTorrent plugin, don't hold your breath!
    There are problems (BitTorrent do not work with supernodes where to send the search requests) that makes
    problematic a plugin implementation in a P2P app (BitTorrent ISNT a p2p network by itself)

Anyway Diego Casorran "seems" ready to write one (indipendent by Amigift)

[ Edited by Framiga on 2006/7/30 13:31 ]
  • »30.07.06 - 13:19
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Is he still developing on an AGA A1200? :)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »30.07.06 - 13:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    nope...he switched on a Linux box, jus few days before his beatification! ;-)
  • »30.07.06 - 13:37
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AmigaMancer
    Quote:

Then I think we don't need the bounty, just wait for the torrent plugin and the release of AmiGIFT, then donate the authors (if possible and they want).

I think you have to register, not donate (Donations will encourage further development of course!) since the plugin will be available only to registered users, iirc.
    Also, i advice to use Amigift 1 for now. The V2 prerelease is not very functional due to various bugs.

[ Edited by AmigaMancer on 2006/7/30 17:35 ]
    Amiga 1200 user.
  • »30.07.06 - 16:34
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    a new Amigift 2.0 pre-release is out at

http://amigift.sourceforge.net/preRelease/

About the (i hope few) Amigift 1.x users, DELETE all the Mui settings Amigift related (Env-Archive:mui/giFTMui.cfg and .prefs) or you will land in a pile of poo! :-)

Take a look at the AMIGIFT.readme at least...
  • »31.07.06 - 11:23
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    No news on this front?
    My money (yes, willing to donate) is on an RTorrent port.
    It's very easy to use, supports magnet links and trackerless torrents & has a nice web gui already made for those shell shocked people.

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »01.01.15 - 22:01
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Why dont you use MLDonkey? It has a nice WebGui Frontend and supports Torrent. There are lots of magnet2torrent websites, which convert your magnet link to a torrent file.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »01.01.15 - 22:19
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    NicePics13
    Knew about making a .torrent from magnet links, but does MLDonkey work with trackerless torrents? Older clients like Transmission on OS X Tiger just hang on those.

[ Edited by NicePics13 02.01.2015 - 01:45 ]

CBM Amiga 1200 + 4MB AMITEK with 33MHz 68882 FPU
    PowerBook5,4 1024MB 1333MHz G4
  • »01.01.15 - 23:44
    Cego
    i dont know. maybe you try it out?
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »02.01.15 - 01:19
  • Just looking around
    sandlbn
    Quote:

Cego wrote:
    There are lots of magnet2torrent websites, which convert your magnet link to a torrent file.

I created small application for that, you can download from aminet. http://aminet.net/package/comm/net/magnet2torrent.
  • »26.03.15 - 12:11
    bash64
    I have no issues with torrents and MLDonkey.
    Just browse for the torrent and save it into the correct folder in the MLDonkey folder.
    I forget which folder that is. Maybe under torrent/incoming....
    Make sure you patch MLDonkey to 3.1.0 after installing 3.0.0.
    Powerbook G4 1.67ghz 2GB, ATI 9700M Pro 128mb
    1TB hd, DL-DVD Burner, Netgear pcmcia wireless card.
    Powermac G5 2.3ghz 2GB, ATI 9600 Pro
    ImageFX 4.5, PageStream 3.3, PhotoGenics 5.0
  • »26.03.15 - 16:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    sandlbn
    Quote:

bash64 wrote:
    I have no issues with torrents and MLDonkey.

I think, main issue is a processor power consumption which is pretty huge. I'm using torrent very rarely but is OK, working well with all torrents tracker.
  • »26.03.15 - 16:43
    Cool_amigaN
    Hmmm I checked yesterday the Mldonkey but the download speed I was getting was rather disappointing (20kb/s with the default values on). Should I tinker it somehow? I m a so in for a bounty to a working torrent client (with complete gui of course :P).
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »27.03.15 - 13:19
    Profile Visit Website
    connor
    @ Cool_amigaN

THere is a tool for MUI which supports many download sources like Donkey and others. Last version is some years old. I think it is even open source. I just forgot the name. I looked here but could not find it: http://amiga.sourceforge.net . If anyone remembers the name maybe this can be used for having several platforms under one hat.
  • »27.03.15 - 14:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > the download speed I was getting was rather disappointing (20kb/s with the default
    > values on). Should I tinker it somehow?

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?forum=9&topic_id=8111&start=37
  • »27.03.15 - 14:56