Initializing USB2.0 card problems
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    I have a VIA EHCI (USB2.0) PCI card, and have the same problem as had with the VIA network card: If I boot linux (latest kernel), and then try to use the card in MorphOS, it doesn't work, I think linux initializes it somehow, and then MOS can't use it this way. The only solution is the well-known plug-off-the-power-cable-from-your-computer magic technic :(. Is is there a fix for that? Or can anybody write a patch like the viarhine-wakeup?
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »08.06.06 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    You fail to mention if it's UHCI that dies, or EHCI (what driver are you using in that case?), or both...

If UHCI dies, one could only wonder why Linux doesn't give the same treatment to the onboard one? If it's EHCI, you need to talk to the author of the driver.

- CISC
  • »08.06.06 - 17:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    On MOS I use the card only in USB1.1 mode (I think this is UHCI.) because there is no other solution yet...

[ Edited by GK_LKA on 2006/6/8 18:52 ]
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »08.06.06 - 18:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    beanbandit
    arakattack supports EHCI 2.0, and works under MOS (not native but...)
    it also has some issues with the 'built-in' UHCI driver,
    to make it work better you must 'patch' the openUSB.device.

it isn't perfect... but it works, and is free.

both OHCI and UHCI is USB 1.1 UHCI is the slower of the two
    (requires more CPU power for the same speed)
  • »08.06.06 - 20:56
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    I dont know how you get ArakAttack working with MOS... I tried *everything* I could imagine but it did not work for me.

I tried three different USB 2.0 cards with three different chipsets, I tried Poseidon V2.2 and V3.2, I tried the old shareware ArakAttack version (both registered version and demo version), and I tried the new "free" version of it, and everything in every combination... nothing helped, the whole system freezed after a couple of seconds using my USB 2.0 stick. I even discussed that with the author of ArakAttack, and he said that the whole OpenPCI stuff is very fragile / buggy.
  • »08.06.06 - 23:03
    gunne
    Schlonz,

Which model Pegasos do You have ?

I wrote a short guide at Pegasos.org here: Pegasos.org - Wiki

It worked when I tested it on Pegasos II.
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »08.06.06 - 23:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Downloaded, installed, and it works. Tells me that it is USB2.0 but it is still running with 1.1 speed. (Tryed with my new pendrive - pc reads from it @ 12MB/s, MOS does the same with 7-800kB/s (don't know exactly, but it was very-very-very slow).

So, to be ontopic - is init the job of poseidon?
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »09.06.06 - 09:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

(Tryed with my new pendrive - pc reads from it @ 12MB/s, MOS does the same with 7-800kB/s (don't know exactly, but it was very-very-very slow).

Hopefully platon42 will release an update soon, containing the new uhciusb.device, which should give full 1.1 speed too...

Quote:

So, to be ontopic - is init the job of poseidon?

No, the drivers are responsible for initing the hw, however I don't see why Linux would do anything different to the onboard VIA vs your PCI VIA?

- CISC
  • »09.06.06 - 15:06
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Quote:

however I don't see why Linux would do anything different to the onboard VIA vs your PCI VIA?

Don't know either, but believe me, it does :D (molk kernel does the same).

Do you have any idea to test it to clarify exactly what is the problem?
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »10.06.06 - 12:14
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Hi Gunne,

I have a Pegasos 2.

Thanks for your hint with the short guide, but it simply says "install ArakAttack and use it". But, this does not work for me here, I just tried it again. I simply get system freezes, and sometimes, if I am lucky, it works for a few seconds and Poseidon gives _a lot_ error messages sayin "Houston, we have a problem! P2V undetected!". But I never get USB2 speed.
  • »10.06.06 - 23:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

Do you have any idea to test it to clarify exactly what is the problem?

No, sorry, I don't (short of dumping all the regs and comparing working vs non-working). :P

- CISC
  • »11.06.06 - 00:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

GK_LKA wrote:
    I have a VIA EHCI (USB2.0) PCI card, and have the same problem as had with the VIA network card: If I boot linux (latest kernel), and then try to use the card in MorphOS, it doesn't work, I think linux initializes it somehow, and then MOS can't use it this way. The only solution is the well-known plug-off-the-power-cable-from-your-computer magic technic :(. Is is there a fix for that? Or can anybody write a patch like the viarhine-wakeup?

the Linux EHCI driver sat up some register and 'owns' each high speed/USB 2.0 port. On a device connection, this driver is responsible to probe the speed. If it's a low/full speed device then the port ownership is relead and the conpagnon chip (UHCI or OHCI) see a device connect event. If it's an high speed device then the driver continue the init/connect process.

However, on reset the EHCI chipset should NOT own the card (this should be only set by the driver). But, some cards/chipset doesn't reset the appropriate bit and the port ownship is stuck to the EHCI even after a reset.

In your case, I guess the Linux EHCI driver is loaded, own the port and on reset the 'ownship' bit isn't reset then the EHCI chip still on the part but there are no driver on MorphOS to either use the device as an high speed device or to release the port to the conpagnon.

I hope I've been clear ;-)

Regards.
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »11.06.06 - 09:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    @ NicoPPC:

It's clear, thanks :). Now I have only one question: where is MOS1.5 with the USB2.0 drivers?? :D
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »11.06.06 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Im up to donate whatever USB 2.0 PCI card that any developer wants in order to give us a working full speed 2.0 driver for MOS.
  • »12.06.06 - 10:07
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    Currently there is a discussion about USB2 on the MorphOS Mailing List.

There I found a hint how to get my USB2 card (NEC chipset and ArakAttack 1.19) working: by setting the usb-enable env to "false" in the Open Firmware.

Now I at least get the USB2 card working without crashing within seconds, but still I get no USB2 speed. My massstorage devices are only recognized as "Fullspeed" devices, but as they are USB2.0 compliant devices they should be recognized as "Highspeed", just as the EHCI hub which is built-in in my USB2 card.

Does anyone know how I get Poseidon (or ArakAttack) to recognize these USB2.0-devices as Highspeed-devices?
  • »03.07.06 - 02:10
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

There I found a hint how to get my USB2 card (NEC chipset and ArakAttack 1.19) working: by setting the usb-enable env to "false" in the Open Firmware.

That was indeed a good tip (which I wasn't aware that you could do until now), which should save a few people from OFW 1.2 caused problems...

Quote:

Does anyone know how I get Poseidon (or ArakAttack) to recognize these USB2.0-devices as Highspeed-devices?

The best thing would perhaps be to ask the ArakAttack author? If you have latest Poseidon a High-Speed capable driver should work (provided the device you are connecting actually is High-Speed (it doesn't have to be just because it's marked as USB 2.0 compatible)).

- CISC
  • »03.07.06 - 03:14
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

FrankBrana wrote:
    Im up to donate whatever USB 2.0 PCI card that any developer wants in order to give us a working full speed 2.0 driver for MOS.

Any USB 2.0/UHCI card should already be running in full-speed.

I do not think it's worth to send a USB 2.0 card to a motiaveted developper/ The "packaging and posting" cost is highr than the card itself ;-)

Bye
    Nico
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »03.07.06 - 22:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    FLComputer
    @NicoPPC:
    If someone wants to do that, why not ?

I agree that a real USB2 highspeed solution which would work with Nec USB2 cards as well as with VIA USB2 cards would satisfy many people.

Transferring 4GB for a backup for example is very very very slow on external harddrives !

Faranheit
    --
    I.M.M. Informatique : YOUR Efika Reseller for France, Luxembourg and Belgium !
    Mail : laurentz@informatique-imm.lu
    Site : http://www.informatique-imm.lu
  • »05.07.06 - 09:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Any USB 2.0/UHCI card should already be running in full-speed.

how ?

what about the usb2 driver that was demonstrated a long time ago ?
    will it be released one day ?
  • »05.07.06 - 11:42
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Schlonz
    "full-speed" = maximum speed of USB 1.1, i.e. up to 12 Mbit

"high-speed" = max speed of USB 2.0, i.e up to 480 Mbit

So, its right that USB2 cards are already running at full-speed (well, kind of; they are not as fast as the onboard USB1.1 controller) but we all want them to run in high-speed mode.
  • »05.07.06 - 13:12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    @Schlonz

alright thanks for the explanation.
    This "full-speed" stuff is tricky.
  • »05.07.06 - 16:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    Henes
    Quote:

what about the usb2 driver that was demonstrated a long time ago ?
    will it be released one day ?

You should better ask him if it will be finished one day and/or if the stuff it is built upon will be finished one day.
    If it does not happen it makes no sense to discuss about a release.
  • »05.07.06 - 20:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    henes

interesting, what was it "built on"

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »06.07.06 - 06:29
    Profile Visit Website