Howto use hardware of classic Amiga with MorphOS
  • Just looking around
    Noster
    Hi,

I'm new in this forum and an absolute newbe to MorphOS, I have just managed to install MorphOS 1.4.5 at my classic Amiga (an A3000T with CyberStormPPC 200MHz and CyberVisionPPC).
    It works great and I want to test a little bit more, maybe it works so good for me, that I will purchase a Pegasos later this year. Currently I use the Amiga with OS 3.9/WarpUp as main system -- this moment I use it to post a message into this forum :-)

My question is: How could I use the other hardware of my Amiga with MorphOS. Especially the Toccata-Soundcard and the A2065 ethernetcard should work, so I could test-arround surfing through the net and hear some MP3's.
    Can anybody help me please?

Thanks, Noster
  • »06.05.06 - 13:44
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    MarK
    hi,

first try to install it the same way, as you use in under AmigaOS. there is 68k emulation and as the hardware is available, it should work as expected. try it, and let us known, if it really works.

bye, MarK.
  • »08.05.06 - 07:14
    Doraemon
    Please, explain to us your experience about the classic hardware.
    I have too a toccata (and some othe classic cards) and Im thinking about install morphos to my amiga too.

Good luck
  • »08.05.06 - 23:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Dunno if the Toccata is working, but my Delfina ZII works quite well under MOS (in fact better than under OS3.9 due to more cpu power). I just installed the 68k driver and voilá.

Other Z-II card I use is the X-Surf, works well, too. IIRC there one must use the Miami MNI driver not the SANA driver.
    Even the IDE ports on the X-Surf are working with MOS. Clockports I haven't tried.

[ Edited by Zylesea on 2006/5/9 1:06 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »09.05.06 - 01:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Welcome to the site and enjoy MorphOS! I would bet most of your hardware will work if you install the 68k drivers just like you do on the Amiga side as many have said here. The 68k emulation is very good in MorphOS. You can also join the IRC channel on the freenode network in #morphos and talk to jacadcaps if he is in. He uses the Amiga version of MorphOS and is a developer.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »09.05.06 - 12:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

You can also join the IRC channel on the freenode network in #morphos and talk to jacadcaps if he is in.

Support from the south pole, that must be a record of some kind.

:-)
  • »09.05.06 - 16:15
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Try Chain|Q instead, who is jaca's stand-in on the classic front ;-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »09.05.06 - 18:38
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    Quote:

You can also join the IRC channel on the freenode network in #morphos and talk to jacadcaps if he is in.

Support from the south pole, that must be a record of some kind.

:-)

Hey he is in at times. 8-) but yeah Chain|Q is a great help as well.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/5/9 12:11 ]
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »09.05.06 - 21:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Noster

Welcome to the community :-)

I used to have a 4000T ppc/cybervision setup and I can tell you the Peg2 blows it away without question. You can sell that setup and do everything you want with the peg2..

Meanwhile it would be very good if present MOS PowerUp users would post working or not working Zorro boards on MZ. I'm particularly interested in Vlab Motion support..

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »10.05.06 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Noster
    Hi,

here I'm again, now -- just at this moment -- running MorphOS with AWeb 3.5.08 at my A3000T :-D

The main problem wasn't the usage of my Amiga-hardware (i.e. the A2065 ethernet card) the main problem was to get a working TCP/IP stack.
    I tried Genesis from OS 3.9 without effort, but then I've read about MOSNet in the Amiga Future, downloaded it and this works.

Another problem was that there was no editor in the base-installation of MorphOS. Now I've installed CygnusEd 4.0 and it works. Last but not least I've had the luck that DirOpus 4.16 could be started direct from my OS 3.9 partition without the need of any installtion or further assigns.

Now that I can surf through the internet from MorphOS this will speed up the test and installation of further applications. I don't need to restart my machine everytime I need an information or a download from internet.

@magnetic
    > I used to have a 4000T ppc/cybervision setup and I can tell you the Peg2 blows it away
    > without question. You can sell that setup and do everything you want with the peg2.
    That's one of my goals: Test the 68k-software I use with MorphOS and have a deeper look into this OS. If it matches my requirements, I will sell my CSPPC and the CVPPC and purchase a Pegasos.
    Currently I'm also thinking about an AmigaOne. Unfortunately I cannot test the OS and compare it to MorphOS.

Noster
  • »15.05.06 - 13:30
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

magnetic wrote:
    Noster

Welcome to the community :-)

I used to have a 4000T ppc/cybervision setup and I can tell you the Peg2 blows it away without question. You can sell that setup and do everything you want with the peg2..

Meanwhile it would be very good if present MOS PowerUp users would post working or not working Zorro boards on MZ. I'm particularly interested in Vlab Motion support..

magnetic

Trust him, he knows what he is talking about on this one! I speak from a first hand account here! I had an A3000 with a mediator and a CyberstormPPC. I was looking at th ePegasos just before the Pegasos II came out for several months. His help and info got me to get one and I ended up selling my A3000 about a month later after moving everthing I did on it to the Pegasos II. Its the best "Amiga" ever built and I feel its exactly what you would be using today if C= was still here making them today.

I would NOT get an Amiga 1 no matter what. While I'll admit that OS4 has come a long way and it looks quite nice now, MorphOS is a lot more compatable with the older Amiga stuff. You WILL NOT find a new A1 anyplace. You will have to get a used one. The hardware is VERY buggy and not worth what you will end up paying for it. Do some research on the artica s chip. The A1 came from the Teron boards. They are no longer produced as well.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/5/15 6:17 ]
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »15.05.06 - 15:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Quote:

Its the best "Amiga" ever built and I feel its exactly what you would be using today if C= was still here making them today.

er.... i don't think Commodore would have built a low spec PC with a PPC proc like BPlan/Genesi did, they would have better pushed it forward and make innovative avant-garde machines but well..that's only speculation.
  • »15.05.06 - 19:37
    hooligan
    Quote:

i don't think Commodore would have built a low spec PC with a PPC proc like BPlan/Genesi did

You are correct. They would have released even less low specced hardware.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »15.05.06 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    Acill, why do you always have to post such off-topic replies? The guy
    didn't ask about this.. he asked about what classic hardware will work
    with the PUp-version of MOS, nothing else. I'm sure if he wants to
    know about something else he will be able to ask directly. I really
    don't think you're doing MOS any good by such a zealous attitude.

Anyway, while I didn't use MOS on PUp too much and it was ages ago
    anyway, it's clear that you have to check for more or less every piece
    of hardware whether it will work or not. Sometimes original drivers
    work, sometimes there are native ones, some things just don't work and
    never will. Genesis should be possible to install by the way, but if
    you got MOSNet working it may perhaps not be worth the hassle.
  • »15.05.06 - 20:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    i share the guilt with Acill and Hooligan here. C'mon boys let's go for a beer outside. Mom and Dad got to talk.

:flame:
  • »15.05.06 - 21:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    And on a more positive note: You should find that it wasn't so much
    "luck" with DOpus, indeed most Amiga apps should work just fine
    without any special installation or changes.
  • »15.05.06 - 21:49
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Quote:

merko wrote:
    Acill, why do you always have to post such off-topic replies? The guy
    didn't ask about this.. he asked about what classic hardware will work
    with the PUp-version of MOS, nothing else. I'm sure if he wants to
    know about something else he will be able to ask directly. I really
    don't think you're doing MOS any good by such a zealous attitude.

Anyway, while I didn't use MOS on PUp too much and it was ages ago
    anyway, it's clear that you have to check for more or less every piece
    of hardware whether it will work or not. Sometimes original drivers
    work, sometimes there are native ones, some things just don't work and
    never will. Genesis should be possible to install by the way, but if
    you got MOSNet working it may perhaps not be worth the hassle.

Sure he did sort of. Quote:

@magnetic
    > I used to have a 4000T ppc/cybervision setup and I can tell you the Peg2 blows it away
    > without question. You can sell that setup and do everything you want with the peg2.
    That's one of my goals: Test the 68k-software I use with MorphOS and have a deeper look into this OS. If it matches my requirements, I will sell my CSPPC and the CVPPC and purchase a Pegasos.
    Currently I'm also thinking about an AmigaOne. Unfortunately I cannot test the OS and compare it to MorphOS.

Noster

Didnt mean to upset you Merko, sorry.

[ Edited by Acill on 2006/5/15 18:26 ]
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »16.05.06 - 03:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Merko

You must understand many peg people are pissed at all the trash talk that these a1 morons did and now is the chance to "rub their nose in it" Not only that but he is speaking the truth. Additionally, Acill actually wanted to put up thousands of $$ of his own money to help out the "amiga" situation and was stonewalled...

Acill.. thx for the compliment and the A1 boards ARE rebadged Terons and that is PITA

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »17.05.06 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Noster
    Hi,

This was a hard work:
    At least I managed to enable printing from MorphOS :-D
    The main problem was, that I doesn't have a local printer, I just have printers attached to my Linux server.
    At first I had installed TurboPrint (I just have the version 7.02 but it works). Than I copied Netpar.device and the according settings from my OS 3.9 partition.
    After the following reboot the netpar-spooler grumbled that there is no usergroup.library installed :-(

Downloading MOSNet-usergroup package, installed it: Now I have a usergroup.library and a passwd and a groups file but where are the according commands like adduser, addgroup, passwd and login?
    So I tried the according commands from AmiTCP 4.0 demo and after adding another assign (AmiTCP) to the MOSNet directory it works and I was able to login as user :-)

So I managed to send printjobs to my linux server, horay!
    There is just one thing left: The turboprint spooler starts before the MOSNet TCP/IP-stack and a requester pops up at every boot saying that no TCP/IP-stack is running.
    But before I press the retry button of this requester (the TCP/IP-stack has started in the meanwhile) I have to open a shell and have to login with my username otherwise the spooler doesn't find a loged in user and exits.

I think I can life with this restrictions :-)
    But is there a way you can specify the order the programs in the WBStartup-directory are started?

Now I will install AmiSSL and after that I will start testing my Toccata -- and I have seen in the TaskManager that the SCSI.device (for the on-board SCSI controller of the A3000) is running, so I hope that I could access the equipment attached to that controller...a lot to do.

So far, Noster
  • »21.05.06 - 21:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    XzIt
    This is a Great post, i love my classic Amiga and thought it was very cool to hear your progress in this case. ;-)
    I would like to say that, i have also been wanting a PPC card for my Amiga. :-?
    But i have to make you aware that this is NOT because im not happy with my Pegasos2 with --> Morphos.
    It's just that im a pure bred Amiga Freak and to this day i haven't own a PC. :-D

I own today Amiga 500,600,1200,4000D,Pegasos2.
    on my Amiga 4000 i have a DelfinaLight, Ariadne II, Cybergraphics 64/3D and last but not least Peggy Plus.
    I have to agre with the others that this is a GrEaT OS and i love it!
    But im allways looking for used amiga hardware, Classic aswell a NewAge. 8-)
    Hope all goes well on your testing and hope to hear that your a planning on buying a Pegasos2.

XzIt of Apathy
  • »22.05.06 - 00:12
    Profile Visit Website