As soo many before me... black screen on boot up
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Hi,

this is my first post here, and unfortunately it's not one of the good ones :-(

I downloaded the latest version of MorphOS for PUP boards. Made a 100 MB bootable partition which volume name is MorphOS and so is the device name. The partition has SFS installed (manually changed the version number to 1.209 or something after seeing some posts here). Formatted the partition, copied all files from the ISO to the MorphOS partition, deleted 68060.librar from libs, powered down and powered on after 1 minute. At this point the MorphOS partition has the highest boot priority.

The computer starts booting, and does a reset. From there it just hangs :-( As previous users has experienced, the monitors turns off, and does nothing from there. How to get on from here? Tried both resetlevel 0, 1 and 5 with the same result.

The BPPC and BVision works 100% in OS3.9 after doing some timing fixes. Before I did the timing fixes MorphOS booted to Ambient screen a couple of times, and did run rather stable. OS3.9 didn't, so the timing fixes were made.

---------------------

Some small additional questions

The change log states "problems with more than 128 MB of memory were fixed". Does this mean that Blizzard boards with 256 MB ram installed don't have to remove one module in order to run MorphOS? If so, is all 256 MB useable from the MorphOS side, or is 128 MB ignored? (Have 2 x 128 MB modules I'd rather use)

---------------------

In the startup-sequence for MorphOS there is some explanations of the parameters. One of them is the set bootdevice. The example states that a correct line would be

set bootdevice "bootdevice=DH1"

Several threads here states that the colon (:) have to be added so the line instead says

set bootdevice "bootdevice=DH1:"

Which one is correct? Or can either be used?

The explanation also tells that this parameter can be used if the MorphOS partition hasn't got the highest boot priority. Does this mean, that if I set this parameter correctly, MorphOS will know after the first reboot that the system must boot from the MorphOS partition instead of the boot partion with highest priority? In other words, if MorphOS is on a partition with lowest boot priority, will I only need to enter the boot menu once?

---------------------

Sorry for the stupid questions, but can't test it myself, since I can't get MorphOS running :-(

The system I'm trying to run MorphOS on:
    Amiga 1200 in tower, Blizzard PPC 040/160/SCSI, BVision PPC, 80 GB drive (SCSI), 2 x CD-R (SCSI), 2 x 64 MB fast ram
  • »18.04.06 - 09:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

DoctorQ wrote:
    deleted 68060.librar from libs

You really shouldn't do that. It doesn't hurt to keep the library in place.

Quote:

Before I did the timing fixes MorphOS booted to Ambient screen a couple of times, and did run rather stable. OS3.9 didn't, so the timing fixes were made.

Undo them... but then I don't know anything about the "fixes" you are talking about.

Quote:

If so, is all 256 MB useable from the MorphOS side, or is 128 MB ignored? (Have 2 x 128 MB modules I'd rather use)

AFAIK the whole memory is used.

Quote:

Several threads here states that the colon (:) have to be added so the line instead says

AFAIR this is covered in the startup-sequence itself.

Quote:

Does this mean, that if I set this parameter correctly, MorphOS will know after the first reboot that the system must boot from the MorphOS partition instead of the boot partion with highest priority?

Yes.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    @DoctorQ

"I downloaded the latest version of MorphOS for PUP boards. Made a 100 MB bootable partition which volume name is MorphOS and so is the device name. The partition has SFS installed (manually changed the version number to 1.209 or something after seeing some posts here).

forget that post (for now)... you need SFS in RDB with a version number above 1.210 otherwise you will not able to boot.(so retype the actual one). Anyway better to start with SFS68k for now, then you can try what you wish.(pfs3 here that is as fast as SFS 1.210 native)

"Formatted the partition, copied all files from the ISO to the MorphOS partition, deleted 68060.librar from libs, powered down and powered on after 1 minute. At this point the MorphOS partition has the highest boot priority."

reinstall the 68k libs (all 3)

"Several threads here states that the colon (:) have to be added so the line instead says

Which one is correct? Or can either be used?"

here i MUST use the "colon" otherwise i can't cold boot. (other user don't)

"In other words, if MorphOS is on a partition with lowest boot priority, will I only need to enter the boot menu once?"

yes.

Note- If you have BlizKick installed on the AmigaOS3.9 partition (single reset), you shouldn't have problems keeping MOS as the highest priority. Otherwise (no BK-single reset) to boot in AmigaOS will be more difficult (you have to enter in the boot menu twice)

Here i have AmigaOS3.9bb2 as higher pri and to boot in MOS, i have to enter in the EarlyBoot only once.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:24
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Quote:

You really shouldn't do that. It doesn't hurt to keep the library in place.

Sorry, not meaning to be offensive, but why should I keep the 68060.library when I'm using a 040 based accelerator? On AOS, keeping the 060 library means GURUs.

Quote:

Undo them... but then I don't know anything about the "fixes" you are talking about.

That's not going to happen. Without the timing fixes the computer would lock up at random times, even when playing around in the BPPC menu for only a few seconds.

If the timing fixes are the reason for MorphOS not working, then rather live without MorphOS.

Quote:

Quote:

AFAIR this is covered in the startup-sequence itself.

Again, not to be offensive, but have you read everything I wrote? Taking bits out the context doesn't give a meaning to anything.

As I wrote in my first post, the MOS startup-sequence says something about the bootdevice parameter, members of this board says something different, so all I want to known is if I have to set the colon or not.

Quote:

Quote:

Does this mean, that if I set this parameter correctly, MorphOS will know after the first reboot that the system must boot from the MorphOS partition instead of the boot partion with highest priority?

Yes.

Good. Now I just need to know if the colon must be set in the bootdevice parameter or not.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:29
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Quote:

you need SFS in RDB with a version number above 1.210 otherwise you will not able to boot.

Ahh, ok. Then I have misread something apparently.

Quote:

Here i have AmigaOS3.9bb2 as higher pri and to boot in MOS, i have to enter in the EarlyBoot only once.

Good, as this is exactly what I want to do as well.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:34
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    you need SFS in RDB with a version number above 1.210 otherwise you will not able to boot.(so retype the actual one).

You got something completely wrong: A 68k SFS in the RDB _must_ pretend to have a version < 1.210!
  • »18.04.06 - 11:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    i got nothing wrong Mister!

I'm only saying that if he wants to boot AND use SFS68k he must don't use that trick.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:55
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

DoctorQ wrote:
    Sorry, not meaning to be offensive, but why should I keep the 68060.library when I'm using a 040 based accelerator? On AOS, keeping the 060 library means GURUs.

Then your 68k AOS setup is broken. setpatch loads what your system needs. The MOS loader does the same. If you remove it you should remember to put it back in case you need it. Again, keeping the library should not hurt.

Quote:

Quote:

AFAIR this ("bootdevice") is covered in the startup-sequence itself.

Again, not to be offensive, but have you read everything I wrote? Taking bits out the context doesn't give a meaning to anything.

Why don't you trust the comment in the mentioned startup-sequence? :-(
  • »18.04.06 - 11:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    CLS2086
    Hi,
    Yes it uses the whole 256 mb.
    Yes it works well with FFS v4x (2k blocks)
    Yes I use ":" (you can see them in my old post... use the research button).

The last time I tried something with SFS, i wasn't able to boot anymore the machine !! I had to replace the HDD :-D so i stay with FFS v4x
    Keep the Faith !
    VG 5000/A1000/500/500+/600/2000/1200PPC-GREX/1200PPC-ATEO/1200+1230-IVFPUSCSI/CD32/Pegasos 1 April1 G3/Pegasos 2 G4/ Ahtlon/K6-3/various funny machines too :-)
    Maybe one day a G4 AmigaONE when they will be debugged and without April...
  • »18.04.06 - 11:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Framiga wrote:
    I'm only saying that if he wants to boot AND use SFS68k he must don't use that trick.

Does SFS68k work with MOS? I don't think so.
  • »18.04.06 - 11:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Framiga
    yep...not the latest version but it works (1.239 i.e)

Edit- munk..don't get me wrong! we are only trying which is the "better" or easy way to begin to see MOS for PuP up&running with users who have problems.

When/if someone will be able to get the right way, then is free to experiment/tune-up/optimize what he wants. (it took me months to get rid of a couple of problems now finally fixed).

Why i'm saying this?... don't know :-)

[ Edited by Framiga on 2006/4/18 12:42 ]
  • »18.04.06 - 12:01
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Quote:

Ehh, that was already covered in my first post. I asked the question because the startup-sequence say something, and several users says something different. Typos are known to happen. Maybe it's just me, but when I see one statement saying one thing, and several statements saying something else I look into it.

Anyways, MOS boots on my A4000, but since I'm using a Mediator busboard for my PCI ethernet card it will never get online. Hopefully I will get MorphOS booting on the A1200 as well. Going to try with FFS instead.
  • »18.04.06 - 13:48
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    > The BPPC and BVision works 100% in OS3.9 after doing some
    > timing fixes. Before I did the timing fixes MorphOS booted
    > to Ambient screen a couple of times, and did run rather stable.
    > OS3.9 didn't, so the timing fixes were made.

I am interested in this timing fixes. Could you tell me where can
    I foung some info about them?
  • »18.04.06 - 16:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

DoctorQ wrote:
    Quote:

Ehh, that was already covered in my first post. I asked the question because the startup-sequence say something, and several users says something different. Typos are known to happen.

Thats true. But you should consider this: its already the third ISO release.If it would have been a typo, it would already be fixed for sure.

Quote:

Maybe it's just me, but when I see one statement saying one thing, and several statements saying something else I look into it.

Maybe the MOS loader simply ignores the ":". character. I believe the "confusion" is dueto problems getting MOS running at first. Then several things were tried (including adding the ":" character) until it work. Now these users think the ":" is required.
  • »18.04.06 - 16:24
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    Quote:

I am interested in this timing fixes. Could you tell me where can I foung some info about them?

Here you can see the instructions I used. I have a rev 1D1 motherboard, but used the instructions for the rev 1D4.

Quote:

Thats true. But you should consider this: its already the third ISO release.If it would have been a typo, it would already be fixed for sure.

Maybe, but some things aren't changed througout various releases. As I haven't seen the first two releases I don't know if the startup-sequence is the same for all three. If the startup-sequence hasn't been changed, and they didn't catch the typo in the first place, it would still be there. Anyways, not really the issue, since MOS doesn't boot here.

[ Edited by DoctorQ on 2006/4/18 15:54 ]
  • »18.04.06 - 16:49
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Kamul
    > Here you can see the instructions I used. I have a rev 1D1 motherboard,
    > but used the instructions for the rev 1D4.

Thank you very much! Maybe it will help to solve my brother's problems.
  • »18.04.06 - 20:33
  • Just looking around
    DoctorQ
    @Kamul

Just keep in mind that the picture of the underside of the A1200 motherboard marks the wrong components.

It will show you were to look on the motherboard though, but remove the ones described in the text, and NOT those marked on the motherboard. Good luck with it, I hope you get it working.
  • »19.04.06 - 10:34