Does using DOS/Exit work?
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Hello!

I would like to continue using programs that utilize arp.library .-) That works for programs that only use the FileRequester. However, unfortunately programs using ArpExit "hang". That function builds a code fragment on the stack to close DOS and from there(!) it calls DOS/Exit. The code fragment on the stack *is* executed as I could verify with my old monam2. But it seems Dos/Exit doesn't terminate the program. Should that work or is that function not implemented?
  • »31.03.06 - 09:09
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    The thing is that dos/Exit() is not implemented at all. It is documented to be used by BCPL only (and BCPL is not supported in MorphOS).

Here's a relevant part of the dos autodoc:
    Quote:

Exit() is currently for use with programs written as if they
    were BCPL programs. This function is not normally useful for
    other purposes.

In general, therefore, please DO NOT CALL THIS FUNCTION!

However, since it apparently seems to have some other uses, I'll look into implementing this for future MorphOS release. If you really MUST have this for 1.4.5 too, I could hack some small patch that adds it. Stay tuned.
  • »31.03.06 - 12:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Quick'n'dirty dos.library Exit() patch for MorphOS.
    Written by Harry "Piru" Sintonen <sintonen@iki.fi>.

Execute with 'run <>nil: exitpatch'. You can place this command to
    user-startup.

There is no way to exit the patch, and it will happily install multiple
    times. The patch will only try to patch dos.library version 50.x.

99.9% of users don't need this patch. It only helps with apps that
    insist on using age old and obsolete Exit() dos.library function.

- Piru

Download it from: exitpatch.lha
  • »31.03.06 - 12:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hmm.. And some people talk about MorphOS not been developed 8-D
    http://somequicknotes.blogspot.com/index.html
  • »31.03.06 - 14:52
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    The thing is that dos/Exit() is not implemented at all. It is documented to be used by BCPL only (and BCPL is not supported in MorphOS).

That does explain the seen behaviour. Funny that ARP (the AmigaDOS Replacement Project) used a BCPL function ;-)

Quote:

Here's a relevant part of the dos autodoc:
    Quote:

In general, therefore, please DO NOT CALL THIS FUNCTION!

I didn't know that passage but then I never looked it up anyway.

Quote:

However, since it apparently seems to have some other uses, I'll look into implementing this for future MorphOS release. If you really MUST have this for 1.4.5 too, I could hack some small patch that adds it. Stay tuned.

As mentioned earlier arp.library/ArpExit uses it. I don't know if that qualifies as "other uses".

Quote:

Piru wrote:
    Quote:

I am impressed! I didn't expect such a fast response. IMHO your patch looks fine. I have to admit that I thought about similiar code myself. Maybe its better to replace the Exit() call within arp.library with your patch code. That should work as well on all systems. What do you think? Apperently nobody missed Dos/Exit function so far.

And one technical question about your patch: Does clearing cli_Module works as well? Then run won't be needed.
  • »31.03.06 - 15:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

Maybe its better to replace the Exit() call within arp.library with your patch code. That should work as well on all systems. What do you think?

Would work assuming you can somehow fit the code in there.

Quote:

And one technical question about your patch: Does clearing cli_Module works as well? Then run won't be needed.

It does work. I was in a hurry so I wouldn't bother with such details. ;-)
  • »31.03.06 - 18:13
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Updated the program a bit:

Quote:

Written by Harry "Piru" Sintonen <sintonen@iki.fi>.

Either start exitpatch from s:user-startup or drag it to WBStartup
    drawer. There is no need to run exitpatch.

There is no way to exit the patch. This patch will only patch
    dos.library version 50.x.

99.9% of users don't need this patch. It only helps with apps that
    insist on using age old and obsolete Exit() dos.library function.

version history
    ===============

1.0 initial version.
    1.1 added $VER tag, no need to run anymore, won't install multiple
    times anymore, added custom startup-code.
    1.2 yeah well, missing __abox__ is bad, aswell as leaving testcode
    in the src.

- Piru

Download it from: exitpatch.lha

[ Edited by Piru on 2006/3/31 20:09 ]
  • »31.03.06 - 18:58
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    munk
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    Quote:

Maybe its better to replace the Exit() call within arp.library with your patch code. That should work as well on all systems. What do you think?

Would work assuming you can somehow fit the code in there.

I can since years ago I "rewrote" arp.library to make it V37+ and 68060 compatible. Thus I can easily correct ArpExit. I should have done that in the first place since the original code always looked questionable.

Quote:

Quote:

Does clearing cli_Module works as well? Then run won't be needed.

It does work. I was in a hurry so I wouldn't bother with such details. ;-)

Thanks for confirming that. Meanwhile I already tried It myself. I took the liberty to modify your program myself. It was the first time I "wrote" and build a MOS program. I always wanted to know how to write a MOS program without startupcode. I am really surprised how easy it is. Its very similiar to AmigaOS/68k.

Quote:

Updated the program a bit:
    Quote:

missing __abox__ is bad

Sorry to ask the obvious (I am a MorphOS newbie :): what is the difference between __amigappc__ and __abox__? When I modified exitpatch 1.0 I added both symbols to be on the safe side ;-)
  • »03.04.06 - 08:59
  • MorphOS Developer
    CISC
    Quote:

what is the difference between __amigappc__ and __abox__?

__amigappc__ used to be the old identifier, which at some point in time (shortly after 0.4 iirc?) was deprecated in favor of __abox__, at the same time other stuff also changed names, like libamiga/stubs.a etc, this was mostly a political statement based on certain turmoil that was quite prominent at the time (and still somewhat even today)...

..in short; today you should just use __abox__...

- CISC
  • »03.04.06 - 12:17
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ munk

Are you Gunther Nikl, the author of at least 20 fine utilities stored in Aminet?

Welcome to our community, you will see that it is very friendly and full of people ready to (remember and) appreciate a good programmer like you.

And you are even the unknown author of Aminet:util/libs/arp40_2.lha [arp.library 40.2 (7-Feb-1993)]?

Wow! That was essential for me at the time for A4000 compatibility and because some ARP commands were not yet available as DOS commands at the time.

Can you make available a copy of the emended arp.library if you really create it? There is still use for it within WinUAE...

[ Edited by DoctorMorbius_FP on 2006/4/3 18:00 ]