MorphOS?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    First I want to introduce myself.
    I´m simply a former Amiga-user as tens of thousands of other people.
    About 7 years ago I had a really funny hobby: my computer!
    When I was at my prime fiddling with aos3.1 some company screw up. After a few years when nothing happened with the amiga I finally came to my senses and bought a dead boring PC with win98.
    After a while I hated computers! I just wanted them to work! (I think thats normal).
    Anyway. A year ago I made an altavista search for "amiga" and looked around a while and was totally surprised that it still existed and that some people still developed for it. And also there were updates (3.5,3.9) and something called morphOS!
    Since then I think I´ve red every newsitem there is about amigaOS and morphOS.

So now here I am stuck again. AmigaOS4 has no hardware but seems to be developed. MorphOS has hardware but the only develpments around it (the OS) seems to come from the users.

So what is happening! MorphOS team read this:
    Can you please make a statement about the future of morphOS. Cause I won´t go buy a new "amiga", learn it inside out and then find myself in a dead end (again). Hopefully AROS will catch up but thats years of waiting! I want my hobby back!
    AmigaOS4 team has declared theire plans. So now its your turn.
    I have money to spend and I´m not the only one.

And you know what! Youre holding the future of the worlds most beutiful desktop OS!
  • »04.01.06 - 14:07
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    MorphOS as it it now is better then any release of AmigaOS to date. It can do more, looks great and is just as fun to use. The best part is we have current hardware you can buy today unlike the OS4 users.

The future of MorphOS is hard to talk about, but the dev team is dedicated and uses the system as much as the rest of us. I would go get a Pegasos II and just have fun.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »04.01.06 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Personally I haven't heard of negative feelings from even one Pegasos2 buyer and/or MorphOS-user .. if that helps you in any way :)
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »04.01.06 - 15:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Robin
    The pegasos is fun. And it's good for having fun.
    But when you get one first step is to accept that
    it's operating system (MorphOS) is closed source
    and the few ppl responsible for the current version
    spend only their free time for a future of it.
    So it's uncertain when and if a new version comes.
    I think you should only buy a peg if you like
    what is available now.

I like what I have and would go for a peg again !
  • »04.01.06 - 16:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    winterhunter
    Hi,

I was in the same situation as you about a couple of months ago,
    choosing between the AmigaOne and the Pegasos. Some things that make
    me take the leap:

* The A1 are talking about how could it would be to have a nice, 600
    MHz G4 A1, because it would be passively cooled. I like silent
    computers, but seriously degrading speed to get that...
    * No new hardware is currently available... If you wait, they should
    be a new 600 MHz A1 (the Ami'05) and the Vixxen accelerator card
    (which in a future should also be able to run as a stand alone
    computer).
    * MOS hard is currently available and cheaper. There is even talk
    about a new 1,7 GHz processor card.
    * You find more native applications for MOS than for OS4 (even though
    they are REALLY working hard to close the gap).

On the downside, it is true that the future of MOS is not 100% clear,
    but there are lot of pleople out there that largely compensate for
    that (coding / porting apps that should be part of the next release,
    like a TCP/IP stack).
  • »04.01.06 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I think it comes down to what do you really want? The future of MOS (IMHO) is the same as AOS currently. Which is unsure. We don't know if it will be actively continued or not. As far as the HW goes well the Pegasos is being produced currently. So it comes down to, do you want the name Amiga (just because it's a name), or do you want something that works and is upgradeable and currently being manufactured?
    --Mithalas
  • »04.01.06 - 19:38
  • Just looking around
    Desolator
    I took the jump last week and ordered a PegII. :) Will be picking it up at the postoffice tomorrow and I don't think I will be one bit disappointed. I'm sort of an OS explorer and since I've been using my Amigas for years I thought: what the heck, might as well buy myself a Peg and do the same things I usually do but with a huge speedimprovement etc and having fun with new OS features. :)
  • »04.01.06 - 20:46
    warface
    I have bought my Peg somewhere around 2003. In the most important features OS4 still tries to catch up with what I had back then.

I have developer mates both from the OS4 and MorphOS team, and both solutions are coming along nicely, a lot of efforts are still being poured into both of them.

It means a LOT of hard work on both sides, so it's just ain't fair to say anything wrong about either, so I will refrain from that :-)

I think MorphOS is still far more advanced though - but choose whichever you like better, it's not obligatory. :-) But you will LOVE Showgirls once you try it out :-D
  • »06.01.06 - 17:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
  • »06.01.06 - 19:13
    hooligan
    True, Linux runs best on x86.. the only sellingpoint in Pegasos2 for you is MorphOS.

You seem to be to be pro OS4 judging by the fact that you mentioned you would 100% buy Pegasos2 if OS4 was for it, so in my opinion the only way for you to go are the forthcoming OS4 solutions, PowerVixen or Troika-board. Don't hold your breath while waiting :)
  • »06.01.06 - 19:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    dolen
    Nope! I would have a pegasos long ago if genesi had kept more focus on morphOS.
    The only advantage OS4 has over morphOS as far as I can tell is that OS4 devs get paid for their work. I guess MorphOS team won´t give up on there work either but they are probobly kept away most of the time because they need to earn money from other things.
    Thats why it would be interesting with a statement from morphOS team about future plans. Maybe a site like the one hyperion has.
    But then, who will pay them for the work? Genesi :-?
  • »06.01.06 - 21:53
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    I bought my peg2 about 6 months ago and i love it. I love it infact more then I thought I would.
  • »06.01.06 - 22:12
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    Quote:

Thats why it would be interesting with a statement from morphOS team about future plans. Maybe a site like the one hyperion has.

Honestly, the best thing about the MorphOS team is that instead of vague announcements, feature lists, promises, hints and irc sessions they stay low and release solid updates.

I mean, which is better? A screenshot of something or actually having it, like - most recently - Quake 3?

[ Edited by warface on 2006/1/7 0:56 ]
  • »06.01.06 - 23:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    You are right warface.
    But we all know that MOS-Team had some problems in the past, and we all saw MOS 1.5 or components on several shows in 2004 and 2005.
    Now we have 2006 what is the problem why there is no 1.5 release? Are there any other problems that make it impossible
    to release 1.5 or will the next MOS update be such a big step forward that you must call it 2.0 or maybe 3.0???

Any statement about the status of MOS 1.5 from the MOS Devs would be very appreciated.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »07.01.06 - 01:18
    hooligan
    Quote:

The only advantage OS4 has over morphOS as far as I can tell is that OS4 devs get paid for their work. I guess MorphOS team won´t give up on there work either but they are probobly kept away most of the time because they need to earn money from other things.

I have been wondering about this.. and I asked it while the irc-session with Hyperion was on, but sadly it never got asked: How does Hyperion finance themselves?

Nothing released in two years, 2-3 coders working fulltime on AmigaOS4 alone since 2001... you do the math... any quesses how much was spent on salaries? :-)
  • »07.01.06 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website
    warface
    Quote:

You are right warface.
    But we all know that MOS-Team had some problems in the past, and we all saw MOS 1.5 or components on several shows in 2004 and 2005.
    Now we have 2006 what is the problem why there is no 1.5 release? Are there any other problems that make it impossible
    to release 1.5 or will the next MOS update be such a big step forward that you must call it 2.0 or maybe 3.0???

Any statement about the status of MOS 1.5 from the MOS Devs would be very appreciated.

Don't forget, that we have received a 3D Update (and not a minor one) and MorphOS for PowerUP in the meantime.

As to 1.5, you're right, it's just as eagerly expected as the previous updates :-) As to me, I'm even willing to pay for it if it makes it happen earlier :-) :-) :-)
  • »07.01.06 - 12:49
    Profile Visit Website
    Stevo
    Heh, can't resist to reply.

I'm a dedicated Amiga user since 1989 and I loved it since. Went from 1.3 all the way to 3.1....and that was a 2nd hand a1200 with extra bits; used that one as my main computer for eight years (hey, I had no money, it worked and I had OSS/DBPro ;). While the years past, I tried to stay in touch with Amiga news, but only read the official channels. When the news arrived about the Amiga One and OS4, I was delighted but knew I wouldn't have the money for any new system. When I had did have some money to spare, I wanted a Delphina Lite. Went to the store...only to be told that they where out of stock, maybe forever. Being the only amiga store in the country, I took the time to look around if there was anything that I could use. There was this demo pc, but it seemed to run Amiga OS. The shop owner gave me a quick demonstration, and I was flabbergasted. Was this an Amiga One with OS4 (though I knew that wasn't released yet)? No, it was a Pegasos with MorphOS. I had some vague recollection about that, but whoah, this? While I was drooling in front of the computer, the shop owner told me about the Pegasos1-Pegasos2 trade-in and that he was selling the returned Pegasos1's. Before I knew it, I left the shop with a second hand Pegasos1 (with an April2 fix, mind you ;), MorphOS and the Superbundle...for just 30 euro's more than I would have spend on a Delphine Lite!

In the months that followed my A1200 became practically obsolete, and I learned about the "blue" history. It's amazing that I never gave it much attention, yet I have the feeling this still goes for a lot of classic users. For me, MorphOS is AmigaOS, and more; just a shame that people with an interest for an AmigaNG OS are cought in a silly platform war that never should have been in the first place and is making it difficult to learn the truths about the current situation and possible futures for both sides.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »07.01.06 - 13:03
    gunne
    Hi,

Perhaps as Im a reseller of the Pegasos I shouldn't write, but cant resist anyway. Nice to see some swedish guys as well... :-)

I would like to point to the bounty system. It seems really to have become successfull, especially considering that 'small' this entiry community is. This means we do really have a good and creative community, and we do also have very good and skilled developers that are very creative.

Something tells me this community will continue to grow.

Happy Saturday !

Gunne
    Best wishes, Gunne
  • »07.01.06 - 14:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    winterhunter
    @Gunne:
    I have the same feeling that you. This community is very active and
    has lots of extremely talented members.

Nevertheless, I think that some kind of statement concerning MOS 1.5
    is necessary. Maybe it is just not ready, or maybe the problem is
    somewhere else.

As someone wrote above, I would be willing (read happy) to pay a
    reasonable fee (and I guess that most people here agree) for future
    MOS upgrades.

However, and to answer the first question of this thread, I am more
    than happy with my peg and use MorphOS for almost everything (for some
    very particular things I still have to use Linux).
  • »07.01.06 - 21:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I don't know if Mos1.5 will come in a few weeks or months, but i know there are problemes whith david gerber's softwares. It seems to be possible to have the tcp/ip stack but it's not confirmed. Any new release should be in accord whith Lair as i know but it seems that Ambient is changing very well in oder to be ready fot an eventual release of Mos1.5 (whith Mui4)
  • »07.01.06 - 22:12
  • Just looking around
    Bobbi
    If they relese MOS1.5 with Ambient they will be forced to GPL the whole system so that will never happen, i thing the MOS team is trying to make a deal with Scalos.
  • »08.01.06 - 10:27
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    Boobi :  Read the GPL's License and come back later. You said a non-sense...
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »08.01.06 - 10:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Quote:

I would like to point to the bounty system. It seems really to have become successfull

That's something I had serious doubts about... But instead it seems to work very nicely (bounty sums are a lot higher than I had expected)
    We still haven't seen too many finished bounties, but that's understandable, as the whole bounty system is still quite new (development takes time)

Some of the biggest reasons for me to wait for 1.5 release was improved 3D drivers, fixed DVD reading (that works >4GB) and improved Ambient.

And We have got ALL of those already. (Ambient isn't quite what I had expected, but it's progressing all the time)
  • »08.01.06 - 11:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Ambient will be one of the main part of mos1.5 if it's released, now the listers are fully fonctionnal, the bar buttons are personnalizable,listers displays mini icons,filetypes works fine but some work need to do for prefs, the are improvement for the dock which are planned (it seems)
    Sure Ambient is now more intersting than Scalos for me....
    i was a scalos user since 1 year and Ambient is more fast and powerfull for file manipulation now (cvs).
    Ambient reorganize drawers and icons and scalos do it poorly icons are on top of others icons.
    Ambient can now snapshot a window very well which is very cool for me; ambient use monowindow browsing method which is better than multi windows.

I say now ! Ambient Team keep up the goodwork ! ou are on the right way !

Ambient is amazing in is actual state ! and it will be better in next future !

Sure you will be impressed by the progress !

Go Morphos Team! Go !
    They work free for us !
    They spend their time for us !
    Since one year Morphos developpement team works only for passion and morphos users.
    Please be cool whith them , they are preparing a great update just for us !
    Thanks Mosteam !

[ Edited by acepeg on 2006/1/8 13:11 ]
  • »08.01.06 - 12:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Are any recent public builds of Ambient out? I am still using the one that cme with 1.4.5
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »08.01.06 - 15:42
    Profile Visit Website