SFSDoctor
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Status raport:
    I did a lot of testing and now program works very stable and hopefully copes with all kinds of disk structure errors I can imagine. I also spent some time finishing the GUI - I added some 'are you really sure?' anoying requesters. Also window resizing problem has been solved. Now I'm working on the last part - the filesystem check module. I hope it will be finished in a week.
    Marek Szyprowski ...... happy MorphOS, AmigaOS and Debian/Linux user ........
  • »22.01.06 - 10:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    One more thing: I'm looking for nice icon for SFSDoctor. Anyone interested?
  • »22.01.06 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Ok. Now it's time to do the public release. The public beta with all functionality is available here:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor/sfsdoctor-beta3.lha

There are 2 nice icons in the archive - one by Tokai and one by JoBBo. Both are cool so decide by your own which is your favourite one. I would like to thank to both artists for their work.

Please test this version as much as possible. If no critical bugs will be found it will be released as a stable version 1.0. Maybe there will be someone who has spare partition and will do some checks how this tool copes with different filesystem troubles, and then post his results here.

PS - @Targhan:
    It looks like a few posts in this thread has gone after servers problems.
  • »26.02.06 - 21:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    magnetic
    Yay

Thank you! Maybe there is also somebody who want to set up a partition and run Ibrowse with Cache and Vger and see how fast that filesystem goes down.. :-D

magnetic
    Pegasos 2 Rev 2B3 w/ Freescale 7447 "G4" @ 1ghz / 1gb Nanya Ram
    Quad Boot: MorphOS 2.7 | Amiga OS4.1 U4 | Ubuntu PPC GNU/Linux | OS X 10.4
  • »27.02.06 - 05:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    This is surely not critical, but the UI appears to be a bit sluggish, e.g. window redraw is not immediate and quite slow. You could recheck the main input loop of your program and maybe look at MUI examples on how to do this in a proper way :-)

Also, on heavy fragmented partitions checking the partition can take several minutes with 100% CPU load and the only way to abort this seems to be a reboot. How about a progress window with an abort button?

Another thing I noticed is that the "status" list in the main window has its input set (MUIA_Listview_Input, TRUE), so I can select entries in it for no apparent reason which is a bit confusing. Maybe this behaviour can be changed too.

Haven't checked much else but if I do, expect more to come ;-)
  • »27.02.06 - 07:45
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pegasosuser
    I have tested the program and works fine.

it's a good tool to restore the corrupt files.

greetings Cor van Londen.
    PEGASOSII G4@1Ghz Registered MorphOS2.5 & AmigaOS4.1 1024DDRam ATI RADEON9250-256Mb(128Bit) Creatieve Soundblaster Live! 2 x HD MAXTOR U-ATA133 160Gb 8Mb-Cache Plextor DVDR +- RW 708A 2Mb Buffer ONLY PEGASOS MAKE IT POSSIBLE!
  • »27.02.06 - 13:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Well, thanks for your comments. This is my first tool with graphical UI, so not everything is perfect ;)

GFX redraw is being checked from time to time during the disk activity - thats why is looks a bit slow. I will try to speed-up it a bit.

I know that 'Abort' button is really usefull and needed in this kind of app, but adding it will need some internal redesign. I will try to add it the final version.

I set the MUIA_Listview_Input to TRUE because in other case the listview can't be scrolled with mouse wheel. If this can be fixed in other way please help me.
  • »27.02.06 - 17:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Gelb
    Quote:

March wrote:
    Well, thanks for your comments. This is my first tool with graphical UI, so not everything is perfect ;)

GFX redraw is being checked from time to time during the disk activity - thats why is looks a bit slow. I will try to speed-up it a bit.

Well, the GUI is even slow when no action is currently performing, e.g. when the app is just idling.

Quote:

I know that 'Abort' button is really usefull and needed in this kind of app, but adding it will need some internal redesign. I will try to add it the final version.

I set the MUIA_Listview_Input to TRUE because in other case the listview can't be scrolled with mouse wheel. If this can be fixed in other way please help me.

Mousewheel works no matter if MUIA_Listview_Input is set to true or not.
  • »28.02.06 - 05:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    saragaglia
    I have just recovered my hd which crashed last month with the last sfsdoctor beta. The previous one could not salvage my data.
    It is a great news we can now restore lost SFS data using this tool (if it is possible...) !
    Thank you a lot for your work.

Just some remarks :
    - I have tried to select a directory where to save found objects, but SfsDoctor seems to always save data in its directory SfsDoctor/Sfssomething.. (As I was using SfsDoctor from ram, the first try was a failure ;)
    - The GUI refresh could be enhanced...

I have donated to the bounty... ;)
  • »03.03.06 - 12:42
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi all,

$155 donated 3 march for SFS Doctor !

Amigaharry grts
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/ex
  • »03.03.06 - 16:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    @amigaharry and saragaglia: Thanks for your donations!! :)

Current status:

1. Added progress bar to 'check disk' module.
    2. Fixed problems with 'Recovery files' module (hmmm... why noone reported that recovered files had thashes at their end?)
    3. Speeded up a bit gui refresh

The sad thing is that a few days ago I accidently killed one of my SFS partition during some disk-work under linux (I mistyped hdc2 as hdb2 :( ). Now I'm working on 'Find lost files' module to improve it to recover as many files as possible.

The new beta version will be hopefully available in 2 days.
  • »06.03.06 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Outstanding work! Its great to see progress on this tool. Its one I look foward to since I play with my system a lot and kill my drives by mistake so often it seems.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »06.03.06 - 23:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Next public beta is ready. Get it here:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor/sfsdoctor-beta4.lha

Most important changes:
    - heavily optimised second phase of 'Find lost files' action
    - fixed problems with 'Recover files' action
    - added progress display for a few actions
    - changed a bit the way SFSDoctor handles so called 'colliding files' - now it the decission is left to user, which file should be kept instead of removing both files. (well, this behaviour gives much more power, but I definitely needs a few words of documentation - I will write it probably tommorow)

With this version I successfully recovered/undeleted 135319 files from the partition I killed a week ago. This is about 99% of all files that were store on that partition (only a few unimportant files has gone). That partition is about 32GB large. It took sbout 2 hours to process it. Maybe it is a bit slow, but currently I have no idea how this could be speeded up more.

Now I will work on documentation, then I will try to add "Abort" buttons.
  • »11.03.06 - 14:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Updated readme is now available:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor/sfsdoctor-readme.txt
  • »13.03.06 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Hi Targhan !

$155 donated on 3 march for SFSDoctor, altough, the bounties page is not updated with this amount of money. saragaglia donated too. Iám pleased that i listed in the SFSDoctor readme ! By the way, SFSDoctor is important for me, i screwed up my harddisk with SFS partitions with data, sources too !

Grtz, Amigaharry
    http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/ex
  • »14.03.06 - 16:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Be patient. I still cant update the page myself in the bounty area so its only Targhan doing it for now. It will get posted.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.03.06 - 18:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    thefab
    hello,

a few hours ago, i lost some files (mostly videos files of 200mb each), so i told myself it was the time to give sfsdoctor a go, unfortunatly, it is not very successfull here :(

not a single file deleted a few hours ago are listed, on the other hand, there are files deleted some month ago which were listed...

sfssalv give better result, all the files are listed, but only 30% are not damaged.

well, it's a bit strange to get such bad recovering results as there were no access on the partition since they were deleted.

[ Edited by thefab on 2006/3/14 21:20 ]
  • »14.03.06 - 20:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Hmmm. How they have been deleted?

If they were deleted then removed automatically from .recycled directory there is no chance to recover them. This is the worst case.

This is caused by the internal structure of SFS disks - if file is deleted all it's 'administrative' data gets quickly overwritten by other files (YES! SFS changes/moves some 'administrative' data of different files alsmost after every significant file operation).

Anyway I will try to investigate why SFSDoctor did not find any part of these files, if SFSSalv could do that.

BTW: Which version of SFSSalv did you used?
  • »14.03.06 - 21:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    thefab
    i deleted the files manually (by mistake, thanks to dopus magellan caching).

the partition has been formatted with no .recycled.

i did not access the partition since the files were deleted, or just reading one or two files, plus exploring some directories, but no write/move access

i used SFSSalv 0.9.
  • »14.03.06 - 22:28
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    I spent half of night working on this new version. Here it is:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor/sfsdoctor-beta5.lha

There are 2 important changes:
    1. Improved 'Find lost files' module. Now it should really find all files that even partially are stored on disk
    2. Because of stupid typo the whole caching system of libDeviceIO was disabled :-( Now it is fixed and SFSDoctor is much faster than any previous realase.
  • »15.03.06 - 09:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    March
    Well. This is the last beta, I promise. It will be release as version 1.0 soon, when bounty admins will accept it ;-)

Changes:
    - added 'Abort' buttons to check, scan and find lost files actions
    - added possibility to change disk cache size using tooltypes
    - added options to 'Find lost files' and 'Repair disk' modules
    - added 'quick scan' mode, usefull for finding deleted files
    - fixed ugly bug in 'Find lost files' and 'Repair disk' modules that was introduced in previous version (some 'found' files might be incorectly restored on disk).

You can find it here:
    http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~mszyprow/programy/sfsdoctor/
    (there are also some updated screenshots available, because application without screenshots cannot really exist ;-) )
  • »27.03.06 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bladerunner
    Well, although I hope I `ll never need SFS Doctor, it is nice to have it at all :)
    thank you :)
  • »27.03.06 - 22:34
  • rms
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    rms
    @ March

Thanks for this GREAT GREAT app. Very usefull, very good, very MorphOS :)

Regards

Christoph
  • »28.03.06 - 07:23
    Profile Visit Website
    Develin
    @ March

Must say thanks for your tool...
    I've got a checksum error today and I thought I would try to fix it using your tool instead of formating the partition and it worked very well =)

Thanks for a great tool!
  • »30.03.06 - 18:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Hello All!

The payment for this bounty has been sent to Gunne for transfer to our Euro Dev -- Marek! Thanks to Marek for the great app, and also to Gunne who has been so instramental to distribution of funds. The breakdown of the amount sent works like this:

Bounty: 407.39
    General Fund "padding": 30.60 (to lessen effect of wire fees)
    Total Sent: 437.93

Actual PayPal Transfer Fee: 17.36

Amount before Final Transfer: 420.03.
    ------------------------------------------------------

For the time being, I will keep my eyes open for any mistakes or missing donations to make sure that all funds are delivered as best as possible.

Once we have confirmation of payment recieved, and final release of SFSDoctor--We'll consider this bounty closed! Yaay! Another one down.

Next item up will be MorphUP, which will have it's donation button removed tomorrow to begin the process of getting the payment out for that bounty. So, if you want to donate to that bounty-->better do so now! (MorphUP is also known as EZPM).

If you would like to make an additional contribution to SFSDoctor, please check with the author about how to do so.

Whew! Anyway, a final big thanks to all the contributors, testers, and posters who have helped make this and all the bounties as successful as they are!!!!
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »15.05.06 - 18:34
    Profile Visit Website