Scalos V41.2 available
  • juergen
  • »02.12.05 - 11:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    How stable is the MorphOS version now? Does the installer work as well? I took it off my system after the last release because after I made a shortcut to a few icons on the desktop (No docks, so I went that route) they would not go away after I deleted them. They would come back after every reboot.

[ Edited by Acill on 2005/12/2 11:55 ]
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »02.12.05 - 11:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    stable as long as you don't play with the prefs.
    i took this one off my peg after a few hours
  • »02.12.05 - 12:25
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Hi Juergen,

I'm using Scalos since a few betas and I'm very pleased with it, thanks!

Here are some problems I have encountered:

When I want to format a drive I get the message unable to open your tool 'Format_Disk.module', this was also in the previous beta.

I'm using icon labels with shadow but if you select an icon some characters (like g,p,y) leave little artifacts behind, see Programs drive on this screenshot (a little white line on the bottom of the g). It happens with most TTF and Amiga fonts, the font used in the screenshot is Lucida Grande (TTF).

When using window list mode the text in the command tab is written in German 'Erstellt ....., Letzter Zugriff...'. Also in previous beta.

I'm using the global trashcan, but I can't empty the trashcan with the 'empty trashcan' command from the 'icons' menu.

If you move a window around the screen and press on the right mouse button while moving, the mouse pointer gets stuck on the window border and all you can do is move the window around. In the previous beta the system would lock.

[ Edited by Toto on 2005/12/2 22:36 ]
  • »02.12.05 - 13:17
  • juergen
    Quote:

When using window list mode the text in the command tab is written in German 'Erstellt ....., Letzter Zugriff...'. Also in previous beta.

I just tried to duplicate the problem described above, assuming you refer to the text window column headers.
    After changing my language from "Deutsch" to "English" and rebooting (language change on-the-fly is not supported yet), I get English texts anywhere, as expected. See the attached image.

Accordingly, I am a bit clueless, since I cannot fix any bug unless I can duplicate it here.

Maybe you meant something entirely different with "command tab" ??

In any case, I am very interested in fixing any bugs, and will examine the other problems described thoroughly (just started with the the locale issue :-P )

Attached file(s) 
  • »02.12.05 - 14:54
  • juergen
    Quote:

I'm using the global trashcan, but I can't empty the trashcan with the 'empty trashcan' command from the 'icons' menu.

Where do you enable "global trashcan" ?
    Looks like I missed something here :-?

Quote:

If you move a window around the screen and press on the right mouse button while moving, the mouse pointer gets stuck on the window border and all you can do is move the window around. In the previous beta the system would lock.

Just tested, and I can confirm this problem.
    Need further investigation to find out where exactly the reason lies.
  • »02.12.05 - 15:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

juergen wrote:
    Quote:

I just tried to duplicate the problem described above, assuming you refer to the text window column headers.
    After changing my language from "Deutsch" to "English" and rebooting (language change on-the-fly is not supported yet), I get English texts anywhere, as expected. See the attached image.

Accordingly, I am a bit clueless, since I cannot fix any bug unless I can duplicate it here.

Maybe you meant something entirely different with "command tab" ??

Sorry, I didn't explain this one really well. I didn't mean the text window column headers but the text below in the Comment tab, wich is German. Look at this screenshot.

Quote:

juergen wrote:
    Quote:

Where do you enable "global trashcan" ?
    Looks like I missed something here :-?

If you delete a file you get a requester wich lists the files you want to delete, there is also a tab in this requester where you can configure the trashcan, see above screenshot for my config. If I delete a file it goes to the trashcan in 'scratch:trash' however if I select 'Empty Trashcan' from menu it doesn't remove the files from 'scratch:trash'.
  • »02.12.05 - 15:55
  • juergen
  • »02.12.05 - 16:16
  • juergen
  • »02.12.05 - 16:23
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
  • »02.12.05 - 16:40
  • Targhan
    Juergen,

Do you want a proper news item for this, or was the forums okay? Sometimes, I think a forum post seems to get more attention than a news item (dunno why tho')... ;-) Guess it's more fun to talk about something than to see a news blurb... or does everyone use the "latest posts" module more often than the front page? Mysteries!

Seriously, I'm glad to see a new beta, since the version I have is rather old--I'm going to give it a whirl soon :-)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »02.12.05 - 16:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Toto
    Quote:

juergen wrote:
    Quote:

Good news: I was able to identify and fix this bug! The fix will be part of next release.

Great to see you got that fixed already, nice work :-)
  • »02.12.05 - 16:43
  • juergen
    Hi Targhan,

Quote:

Do you want a proper news item for this, or was the forums okay?

I think it would be best to have both.

In the actual case, I just managed to update the website before leaving for a three-week vacation,
    and I somehow missed to think of an explicit announcement here.

Interestingly, after my announcement here, I heard about several problems I have been totally unaware of.
    All in all it is very important to receive bug reports, since it it not possible to test every detail before finishing a new release.
  • »02.12.05 - 17:07
  • Targhan
    It has been posted, and I referred the newsitem to this forum too.
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »02.12.05 - 18:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    deez
    @Toto
    Nice girl as background. Can you send to me via email ? Thx.
  • »02.12.05 - 19:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DoctorMorbius_FP
    @ Toto

The sentence "Erstellt 31.08.2005 21:18:33, letzter Zugriff 16.10.2005" or the like that appears in the comment field of your files is an artefact of the interaction of MorphOS and a storage media whose filesystem does not support Amiga file comments.

It is very simple to reproduce the problem if you have a pendrive or a hard disk partition formatted with Fat95. All the files stored there will gain similar comments and will loose the original comments (if any).

Maybe the DOS should be smarter and should discard false comments like these. Do you read, MorphOS programmers?