MiamiDX control panels for ezTCP
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I wonder what do you think about making ezTCP compatible with MiamiDX control panels? I studied their API and now i see it's perfectly possible. There's nothing really Miami-specific there except traffic meters (can be just disabled at first stage and added later).
    iPod, iBook, iMac,... iRobot?
  • »12.10.05 - 08:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I'd say: if it really is doable, then do it! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.10.05 - 09:02
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    If ezTCP has MiamiDX control panel support, I might even start using ezTCP ;-)

But yes, it would be highly appreciated.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »12.10.05 - 09:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    On second thought, the best thing would be if everything needed to get going and use the stack was included in the same package (including GUI of course), without depending on the user first downloading MiamiDX in order to rip its GUI.

But I still think it should be cool as an *alternative*! :-)
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »12.10.05 - 09:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Great, i consider this question to be closed. I will do it, it is quite possible. I already imported MUI.miamipanel and MUINL.miamipanel source code into my development tree. This appears to be a really good approach, greatly saves time and makes reuse of already available resources.
    I'll start the intergation right after DHCP and syslogger.
    I even start to think about renaming to OpenMiami since the project starts to turn into opensource Miami reimplementation. :-D
  • »12.10.05 - 09:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    and of course, you'll share the bounty money with Miami authors.

j/k
  • »12.10.05 - 11:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    Quote:

SoundSquare wrote:
    and of course, you'll share the bounty money with Miami authors.

j/k

The bounty is for Sonic's "work" on ezTCP -- not for the software itself.

Making ezTCP "compatible" with Miami's control panel is no different than making software that is "compatible" with Windows (or MorphOS!).

[ Edited by klesterjr on 2005/10/12 9:29 ]
  • »12.10.05 - 12:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Sonic thats sounds like a great idea. I havent used those 3rd party GUI replacements for Miami before, but I have seen screen grabs with them. If they are open source then go for it. Once DHCP and easy setup is done I will be ready to test this stack!
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »12.10.05 - 15:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    Great idea Sonic!
    I like Gelbes-Panel so much.

Oh and keep up the good work!
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »12.10.05 - 21:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Sonic thats sounds like a great idea. I havent used those 3rd party GUI replacements for Miami before, but I have seen screen grabs with them. If they are open source then go for it.

There are several opensource panels (and i will bundle two of them) and there are some closed-source ones (you'll just be able to use them). Gelbespanel is not opensource (well, if the author ever contributes the code for native build i'll definitely include it too), but it will work. Just download, install and use.
  • »13.10.05 - 06:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Velcro_SP
    I don't exactly understand this? Is "control panel" the MiamiDX GUI? Or is this some add-on released by a third party on Aminet?

I don't think ezTCP users should be required to go and download MiamiDX demo. You want to have everything in one archive for easy installation.

Although I have sometimes thought it might be nice to make use of Miami demo's user-friendly DHCP detection and setup. The settings are determined and then just plugged into whatever stack. That is not violating any shareware terms AFAIK and Holger Kruse should not complain anyway as he doesn't sell or support Miami anymore.
    Pegasos2 G3, 512 megs RAM
  • »14.10.05 - 10:10
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Quote:

Velcro_SP wrote:
    I don't exactly understand this? Is "control panel" the MiamiDX GUI? Or is this some add-on released by a third party on Aminet?

Third party addon, of course. Not main GUI. :) There are plenty of good panels for Miami, the most favourite is Gelbespanel. There are at least two opensource panels under GPL so i'll include them into the distribution so that they'll become a standard part.

Quote:

I don't think ezTCP users should be required to go and download MiamiDX demo. You want to have everything in one archive for easy installation.

Of course MiamiDX won't be required.

Quote:

Although I have sometimes thought it might be nice to make use of Miami demo's user-friendly DHCP detection and setup. The settings are determined and then just plugged into whatever stack.

Hm, didn't see this feature since never used MiamiDX (stuck with Genesis). I'll look at it. Probably this could be transformed into some kind of "Internet connecion wizard" like in Genesis, Windows or Linux.
    I guess this wizard won't be there with first release (short of time), but noone prevents from adding it in future.
  • »14.10.05 - 10:27
    Profile Visit Website