Glad Midsommar!
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Briefest night of the year tonight. Going to have a beer or two with a friend out in nature this dimly-lit night.
  • »20.06.17 - 17:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Briefest night of the year tonight.

Hmm.

The Winter is coming...

:-o
  • »20.06.17 - 17:32
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Hmm.

The Winter is coming...

Since we are headed into the hottest part of our Summer here, Winter sounds nice!
    Enjoy the solstice, all.
  • »20.06.17 - 21:05
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Jim wrote:
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:

Hmm.

The Winter is coming...

Since we are headed into the hottest part of our Summer here, Winter sounds nice!
    Enjoy the solstice, all.

It has been unseasonably hot here on the West side of the USA. Very uncomfortable and unusual for June weather, and it makes me worry about how hot it will be in July, August, and the first half of September.

I got burned pretty good working on replacing my front deck the last 2 days. Worked 29+ hours in 2 days, with only very short breaks for lunch.

As for short nights and long days, I wonder how much living at 7,000ft. elevation when I was growing up, had to do with the days seeming longer. I am sure it has some effect, as you can see the Sun come up a little earlier than people at the base of the mountain, or at sea level, and the reverse applies when the Sun is setting, but don't know if it is just an extra 15 minutes of daylight, or over an hour of extra daylight, being on top of a mountain at an elevation of 7,000ft.
  • »22.06.17 - 23:06
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    It has been unseasonably hot here on the West side of the USA. Very uncomfortable and unusual for June weather, and it makes me worry about how hot it will be in July, August, and the first half of September.

It's quite the opposite here in Finland... +10°C right now... spring was unusually cold with no warm days at all and only couple of days have been at +20°C in this month :) But I rather take this than too hot :)
  • »23.06.17 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I wonder how much living at 7,000ft. elevation [...] had to do with the days seeming
    > longer. I am sure it has some effect, as you can see the Sun come up a little earlier
    > than people at the base of the mountain, or at sea level, and the reverse applies when
    > the Sun is setting, but don't know if it is just an extra 15 minutes of daylight, or
    > over an hour of extra daylight, being on top of a mountain at an elevation of 7,000ft.

The formula for the additional daylight time t at an elevation e (above sea level) compared to sea level, assuming a spherical earth with radius r, should be:

t = 2 * arccos(r/(r+e)) * 24h/360°

Inserting e = 7,000ft and r = 20,902,231ft results in:

t ≈ 0.2h = 12min
  • »23.06.17 - 11:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    defender
    Så tro jeg at det er en god tidspunkt at ønske en glade Sankt Hans aften til hele Danmark og Sydslesvig.
  • »23.06.17 - 14:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > I wonder how much living at 7,000ft. elevation [...] had to do with the days seeming
    > longer. I am sure it has some effect, as you can see the Sun come up a little earlier
    > than people at the base of the mountain, or at sea level, and the reverse applies when
    > the Sun is setting, but don't know if it is just an extra 15 minutes of daylight, or
    > over an hour of extra daylight, being on top of a mountain at an elevation of 7,000ft.

The formula for the additional daylight time t at an elevation e (above sea level) compared to sea level, assuming a spherical earth with radius r, should be:

t = 2 * arccos(r/(r+e)) * 24h/360°

Inserting e = 7,000ft and r = 20,902,231ft results in:

t ≈ 0.2h = 12min

Only 12 minutes! It definitely seemed like more than that, as I often played outside with friends until 10pm (22:00hrs) during the long days of Summer break from school, which always started in the middle to end of June.
  • »23.06.17 - 22:52
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

It's quite the opposite here in Finland... +10°C right now... spring was unusually cold with no warm days at all and only couple of days have been at +20°C in this month :) But I rather take this than too hot :)

We had a good Winter this past season, with almost 200% of the average snowfall in the mountains, and above average rainfall during this year's Spring season. The lake just a short walk from my home filled all the way up, which had not happened for the past several years, and it is staying almost full, even though the surrounding farm have been using the lake water for crop irrigation for the past several weeks.

I think that all of us will experience drastic changes in weather patterns, all over the earth, as global warming causes more severe storms, and the rising oceans flood areas of low elevations.
  • »23.06.17 - 23:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:

We had a good Winter this past season, with almost 200% of the average snowfall in the mountains, and above average rainfall during this year's Spring season. The lake just a short walk from my home filled all the way up, which had not happened for the past several years, and it is staying almost full, even though the surrounding farm have been using the lake water for crop irrigation for the past several weeks.

I think that all of us will experience drastic changes in weather patterns, all over the earth, as global warming causes more severe storms, and the rising oceans flood areas of low elevations.

Hottest June since 1976 here and I've been fasting from 2am to 10pm through the entire month. :/

Manchester is famous for basically raining 24/7/365 so something had definitely changed with the climate.
  • »24.06.17 - 02:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Intuition schrieb:

Hottest June since 1976 here and I've been fasting from 2am to 10pm through the entire month. :/

Have a good sugar feast tomorrow then.

Quote:

Manchester is famous for basically raining 24/7/365 so something had definitely changed with the climate.

When I was living in Manchester during the mid-nineties for about a year I haven't experienced Manchester as that rainy. But then again I originally I come from a city where the saying is pretty similar, but a bit more catholic: "It's either raining or the church-bells a pealing - if it's both it's probably sunday."

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 25.06.2017 - 00:19 ]
  • »24.06.17 - 23:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    If we would only be able to transfer some 10 centigrades over from Arizona USA to Scandinavia, then *everyone* would be a lot happier!

:-/
  • »24.06.17 - 23:51