RAM for PEGASOS II.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    today my Pegasos II have 1 ram module with 256 MO.

With the last mame update, I have a lot of "out of memory"
    messages because this mame is very BIG. So, I want buy a 512 MO ram
    module but dont know if all modules works great. I remember have
    troubles with ram for PEG I. Is it easy to buy ram for PEG II?

thanks

[ Edited by serge on 2005/6/20 8:46 ]
  • »20.06.05 - 08:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Raf_MegaByte
    Peggy II has RAM DDR 266 (PC 2100).

These were very common in PC world upto 2 years ago, so you could have plenty of it...

New ones or used also...

I couldn't help you regarding prices, because I don't know where you live, but I can show you prices of new ram DDR modules from a very known on-line store here in Italy

www.chl.it

Its prices are a sort of "reference and check" for us in Italy.

Matrix Dimm Ddr 512mb Matrix DIMM DDR 512MB PC2100, 184 pin, 266MHz, CAS 2.5 -108 Eur-

Apacer Dimm Ddr 512 Mb Apacer by Infineon DIMM DDR 512 MB, PC2100, 184 pin, 266 MHz, 3 years warranty -66 Eur-

Purchase 2x512 DDR upto a total of 1024 MB, and you will have HUUUUGE RamDisk, and also you will never suffer of out-of-memory problems in years to come for a veeeery very long time.

On the motherboard manual (the one written in german language), it is stated that Pegasos II could also mount RAM DDR 333MHz PC 2700...

...but I don't know if then it is necessary to set any jumper to fit it without suffer of BUS problems, so be careful.

I think that you could receive more info from Miky'060, who is one of our hardware gurus.

[ Edited by Raf_MegaByte on 2005/6/20 9:46 ]
    Bill Gates "Think!", Steve Jobs: "Think different!" So... Let these guy continue blabbering thinking and enjoy computing! We are on Amiga!
  • »20.06.05 - 09:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    Hello Serge,

It is a good idea to start with 512MB RAM in Pegasos.
    I own a 512MB DDR400 CL2.5 DIMM which is available for as little as 34EUR (+ shipping) now.
    Experience has shown it is not trivial in Pegasos II to use 2 memory modules, so a second one might or might not work
    (while 2 of them worked fine when tested in an x86 system with dual-channel memory).

I did not run into any limits with 512MB, but if you expect to need more - 1GB modules are not so expensive either!
  • »20.06.05 - 13:32
  • HAK
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Hi serge,

In my Pegs, I use Samsung DDR-RAM, 400 MHz, PC-3200, CL3.0, 256MByte and 512MByte for several months. I even tried the 1GByte for about 14 days (had to give them back to a friend).

However mixing those RAMs (different size) did not work.
    As I didn't/don't have RAMs with the same size I can't say whether this combination would work.

Bye HAK
  • »20.06.05 - 23:57
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Neko
    Genesi recommends Crucial RAM. If you go to your local Crucial website and use the memory selector, it will list for you compatible modules.

We're currently asking them to specify PC3200 (400MHz) RAM in order for you to get the best latency at the best price (it's identical to PC2100 right now).

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM

Please ignore the thing about memory sizes as it is generic for PCs. I will STRONGLY urge that you pick a single 512MB or 1GB module and install that. Mismatching modules or pairing them right now seems to be set up wrongly by the firmware.

Specific link for the Genesi Pegasos II page in case your browser can't do listboxes or their website:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Genesi%2B&mfr=Genesi&tabid=CR&model=Pegasos+II&submit=Go

[ Edited by Neko on 2005/6/21 3:23 ]
    Matt Sealey, Genesi USA, Inc.
    Developer Relations
    Product Development Analyst
  • »21.06.05 - 04:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

Neko wrote:
    Genesi recommends Crucial RAM. If you go to your local Crucial website and use the memory selector, it will list for you compatible modules.

We're currently asking them to specify PC3200 (400MHz) RAM in order for you to get the best latency at the best price (it's identical to PC2100 right now).

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listmfgr.asp?cat=RAM

Please ignore the thing about memory sizes as it is generic for PCs. I will STRONGLY urge that you pick a single 512MB or 1GB module and install that. Mismatching modules or pairing them right now seems to be set up wrongly by the firmware.

Specific link for the Genesi Pegasos II page in case your browser can't do listboxes or their website:

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Genesi%2B&mfr=Genesi&tabid=CR&model=Pegasos+II&submit=Go

CL3?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »21.06.05 - 07:33
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Thank you very much guy.

I bought yesterday a Kingston module : 512MB PC320 CL3 184-Pin DIMM
    and it works very well.

Thanks a lot.

Serge
  • »21.06.05 - 09:57
  • Frn
  • Just looking around
    Frn
    Does this recommendation of DDR400MHz (=200MHz) mean that with one module the bus would operate on 183MHz instead of 133MHz as specified in some specification?

Is it worth investing on ECC and/or registered DIMMs? Not much use in MorphOS case but perhaps Linux et.al. might benefit from these?
  • »18.07.05 - 23:33
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    I'm not sure it's strictly the firmware. I had 1G in my Pegasos. Updating it to 1.2 actually fixed things so I could use 2 512M. (I have 3. 1 Crucial and 2 Dual Channel Kingston. All three are PC2100 cl2.5 and and mixing was no problem.)

I had to return my Peggy for repairs. The system is back and bPlan did a beautiful job. :-D The post office, however, is getting an earfull. :xxx:

I can only use a single 512M now. Singally all three work fine and memtest extensive shows no problems, but any 2 together shows errors and fail in the first or second writing no matter what order or pairing.

I don't know what differance being dual channel makes for a Pegasos. For all I know memtest has a glitch, but since it worked fine before it's hard to pin it strictly on the firmware. I will likely be looking into trading in for a 1G later.

Furvert
  • »19.07.05 - 04:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Ingo
    Over at PPCZone there's a list with working and non-working ram.

I use Exilir 512MB without problems.

[ Edited by Ingo on 2005/7/19 15:13 ]
  • »19.07.05 - 15:10
    Profile Visit Website