Butterfly
    deb
    Read the 20 Answers with Alan Redhouse of Eyetech:

http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2339

Very sad day for AmigaOne and OS4 users :-(
  • »06.06.05 - 12:35
  • Just looking around
    TreeBeard
    Think you need to read it again, it doesn't say that at all.
    Micro AmigaOne and second hand Pegasos2
  • »06.06.05 - 12:47
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Bodie_CI5
    @deb

Well I hope not! I always wanted to be the "Purple Moderator" there ;-)
    An ode to Wayne Miller:

"Oooooh yeahh!"
  • »06.06.05 - 12:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    Well, he does say that they need new markets, 'cause the
    Amiga-market is saturated.

This is what Genesi has said for over a year, and finally
    Mr. Redhouse realized it aswell?
  • »06.06.05 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    But it's hard for eyetech to challenge new markets with their offerings:
    - faulty Articia
    - no strong partner
    - not much cash

sorry for Alan, but the train has left the station already...
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.06.05 - 13:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    @TreeBeard:

Please Read Question and Answer number 6
  • »06.06.05 - 13:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    klesterjr
    It wasn't exactly full of GREAT news -- but I don't think I'd go so far as to say it's the "end" (not yet, anyway).

Everything in the answers was already known (or suspected).

As far as a platform for OS4 -- there's still the ACK boards if the A1s "go away".
  • »06.06.05 - 13:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Bodie_CI5
    @deb

Although, by no means will I ever get into an argument about A1's etc on this site (have hardly ever on aw for that matter), I took Question 6 to mean something else:

Quote:

6: Chunder: Are the previously planned versions of the AmigaOne (e.g. µA1-I, A1-XC, etc.) still going to happen? Have the specifications changed; have the boards been prototyped fully yet? Is there a scheduled production run yet (not necessarily the date, just a
    yes/no)?

No new board designs will be made (by us at any rate) specifically for the 'Amiga Enthusiast' market. It just simply is not viable given the tiny potential sales.

Both the µA1-I and A1-XC have been designed and the µA1-I has been prototyped. The final specification for both boards (and other designs/variations) will inevitably be modified before they go into production, if and when this happens. Boards will only go into production when we have volume orders for them from industry.

I think what he states there is that no new board will be specifically designed designed for the so-called "Amiga Enthusiast" market, ie. you and I.

My take is that if he's able to sell more sizeable numbers of boards (whatever they may be) to industrial clients, then we'll see such developed boards taken from the industrial market and sent to the consumer market.

Dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I read into it. :-)
    An ode to Wayne Miller:

"Oooooh yeahh!"
  • »06.06.05 - 13:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    What about releasing MOS 1.5 today? :)
  • »06.06.05 - 13:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Bodie_CI5
    Quote:

ironfist wrote:
    What about releasing MOS 1.5 today? :)

Not until my Peg has arrived please. 8-)
    An ode to Wayne Miller:

"Oooooh yeahh!"
  • »06.06.05 - 13:30
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    Well, even though Alan's answers hold no real suprises, I hope that it at least clarifices some things for current A1 owners.

Let us hope that OS4 will be released for A1 owners and they can fully use their machines for what they bought it for in the first place.

And who knows, maybe OS4 will eventually find another more viable platform to run on.
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »06.06.05 - 13:41
  • deb
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    deb
    @Bodie_CI5

I do not think there will be much interest from the industrial market for such way expensive boards, but I hope you are right.
  • »06.06.05 - 13:56
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Bodie_CI5
    Quote:

deb wrote:
    @Bodie_CI5

I do not think there will be much interest from the industrial market for such way expensive boards, but I hope you are right.

Any reservations that people may have are fair enough IMO. In any case, there wouldn't be any sense in debating whether such a market could ever be carved out, as it is based on too many factors and in all probability, very subjective. But I do wish they were cheaper.
    An ode to Wayne Miller:

"Oooooh yeahh!"
  • »06.06.05 - 14:02
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    ikir
    @Stevo

OS4 is not chained to A1, it will be released this year. AmigaOne is already perfectly usable with OS4.

Quote:

And who knows, maybe OS4 will eventually find another more viable platform to run on.

It seems to run on other two new hardware platform plus old classic. Anyway we need a big box computer like Peg2.

@Zylesea
    - faulty Articia

Oh no not again. The problem with Xe is via686b not Articia. Articia is not bugged at all, the only bad thing (and yes, it is an important one) is taht it lacks cache coerency. For OS4 it isn't an issue but for Linux yes, bacause you need to write a specific kernel..... this is not good if Alan want to sell the board, i agree.

@ironfist
    Quote:

I do not think there will be much interest from the industrial market for such way expensive board

Probably we had MicroA1 after someone buy a bigger number of boards, i'm quite sure. Anyway Alan doesn't know how to do marketing and find partners.

At least despite all the trolling, my XE is incredible fast and cool with OS4 and this is what is important imho.

I really hope to see ACK boards now... since the XC is far from become reality now.

[ Edited by ikir on 2005/6/6 14:20 ]
    ikir @ www.iksnet.it
  • »06.06.05 - 14:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    alfie
    "In other words the more vociferous the criticism the less likely you are to see new products."

Alan Redhouse of Eyetech, 6/6/2005.
  • »06.06.05 - 14:24
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    yashin71
    @ikis
    What you mean for big box computer like Peg2?
  • »06.06.05 - 14:25
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ ikir

With "faulty" I was referring to the cache coherency. And this *is* a problem if you wanna sell it to the Linux folks.
    And - to be honest - the money is not where OS4 or MOS is, the money is where Linux is. Therefore it will be *very* hard for Alan to find new customers, and therefore I wrote "faulty". It would have been better if I wrote "doubious", because that is how the Articia is recognized.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »06.06.05 - 14:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ironfist
    Quote:

ikir wrote:
    @ironfist
    Quote:

I do not think there will be much interest from the industrial market for such way expensive board

Quote:

Probably we had MicroA1 after someone buy a bigger number of boards, i'm quite sure. Anyway Alan doesn't know how to do marketing and find partners.

Ikir: You mis-quoted me for another dude.
    Anyway, Alan is a simple Amiga reseller with a "day-job",
    no professional with connections everywhere.

This is my opinion.

[ Edited by ironfist on 2005/6/6 15:14 ]
  • »06.06.05 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    TreeBeard
    'no professional with connections everwhere'

Thats pretty close to slander.
    Micro AmigaOne and second hand Pegasos2
  • »06.06.05 - 16:38
  • Targhan
    First, I'm glad to see a topic, any topic, survive in "The Bar". I was afraid that not allowing off topic discussions to appear on the main page might kill the discussions. Thank goodness I my fear was unfounded.

Next, a person's opinion is not slander; however, stating an incorrect opinion as a matter of fact IS slander. If stating something negative, please make sure any and all facts are correct. If you are stating your opinion, please be sure to make it absolutely clear that it is only an opinion.

Finally, about the topic... I don't see the AmigaOne being any more "dead" than before the Q&A, a week ago, or even three months ago. In fact, I didn't find anything about what he said to be shocking or even unexpected. Heck, if anything, I'm glad that he "spoke" with some candor(sp?).

I just hope that this doesn't make the hardcore "redcampers" feel cornered or our own hardcore "bluecampers" feel like they need to strike while the "enemy" is down. Both groups probably will, but I can still hope that everyone will keep a level head...

Besides, if both groups play their cards right, we could coke and pepsi some disgruntled mac users away :-P
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »06.06.05 - 22:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Stevo
    @Targhan

Well, The Bar is really the right place for this kind of thread/discussion :-) It might be a good idea to advertise "The Bar" as a place for talks about various stuff while not being on the front page. People tend to look over it now.

@Ikir

I might not have been clear enough. I just have hopes for the existing A1 community that they'll get OS4 final and that it will life on after that. With "life on after that" I mean continuing support for that platform. And since it seems that the future of the current line of A1 mobo's is unclear, I also hope that OS4 is or will be ported to HW that is/will be available and has a future next to that :-)
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »07.06.05 - 01:13
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Bodie_CI5
    Quote:

Stevo wrote:
    And since it seems that the future of the current line of A1 mobo's is unclear,

Yeah, we'll see how things pan out. I just hope Alan made it sound more pessimistic than it really is. Although, I guess, only time will tell.

Quote:

I also hope that OS4 is or will be ported to HW that is/will be available and has a future next to that :-)

Well, my first choice would have to be the Peg. ;-)

@ Targhan

Cheers. And lol at Coke and Pepsi :-D
    An ode to Wayne Miller:

"Oooooh yeahh!"
  • »07.06.05 - 11:24
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    I was told that ACK was sent an email to do a 20 questions for AW.net a while ago. The people at AW.net never received an answer. :-(

But Elbox agreed. So we might see what they have in store for Amigans. :-)
    - Ronald
  • »08.06.05 - 22:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    That was a refreshing bit of candor from Alan. Its interesting that
    they were told that Amiga wanted to do OS4. They never did-and
    believe me I BUGGED them about it ALL the TIME :-O. I was also told
    that AI weren't getting revenues from Amiga OS from Haage and Partner
    because of a 'sweetheart deal' with Petro that AI forgot to check out
    or weren't told about when they bought in, counting on some royalties
    which were or were not really theirs. I wonder if that was true