The future of MorphOS?
  • Just looking around
    cd32
    http://www.morphos.net/

Since july 2003, Genesi started to not pay their bills. They told it was a temporary problem and payments were on their way. They did so for months, while people kept working. They claimed many times to have issued payments. Those never arrived.

Currently, at least the following persons related with MorphOS development are unpaid:

* David Gerber: 26586 EUR
    * Stefan Stuntz: similar amount
    * Treveur Bretaudiere: 9680 EUR
    * Oliver Wagner: similar amount

If you feel you should be in that list, send a mail here.

Any new version of MorphOS for the Pegasos won't happen before the above counters reach zero.

History
    2004-11-15: this page online :-o

Topic renamed to less funeral-like ;-)
    [ Edited by hooligan on 2004/11/17 14:25 ]
  • »15.11.04 - 07:06
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    yashin71
    I think just of yes. It is from too much time that was spoken about morphos 1,5 but nothing has not been never looked at
  • »15.11.04 - 07:15
    Targhan

You should put that in news...

@bbrv
    situation must be enlightened quite quickly...

I hope this isn't the end of a 8 years old work... just when the light began to be seen :-x
    Pegasos rulez since august 2002
  • »15.11.04 - 07:40
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    liquidbit
    I want to believe that MOS is on Hold!
    And if Genesi does not want to do the payments then let hope that the MOS become an OpenSource!

:-( :-( :-(
    ..there will be only one left.
  • »15.11.04 - 07:52
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Crumb
    "MorphOS for the Pegasos"

Do not forget that MorphOS is portable and we may see MOS 1.5 running on other machines if Genesi continues without paying...
  • »15.11.04 - 07:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yashin71:

No, new MorphOS not being released doesn't mean MorphOS is not being
    worked on anymore.

Bye

Edit by falcon1 to correct english meaning :-D

[ Edited by FALCON1 on 2004/11/15 10:00 ]
    MorphOS Rulez !
  • »15.11.04 - 07:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    oh great right when i get a peg now the crisis polls come back and its all gona end........
    ok here is how i see it and anyone who knows better can correct me where i am wrong if i am wrong
    1). Genesi had some financial issues and there were some payment problems
    2). the above issue is trying ot be resolved and is a priority and is being fixed as we speak
    3). with freescales high interest in the peg genesi has a future (unless they sell out to freescale and then were all screwd)
    4). money is startgint o come back in and freescale is helping genesi in multile areas with the giving away boards to developers and what not (true freescale is way more interested in linux on the peg more than MOS but they still think MOS is cool and want ot help at least a little bit)
    5). the plans for a laptop and other new inovations seem promising. true in the pas there were many of those adeas (almost all of them) that didnt go through (game machine, pear pc, gaurdian, a lot more i wont name) but now there is more coperate backing (aka freescale, IBM)

the ball is rolling and it is gaining momentem again....lets not put obsticles in its path shall we :-)
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »15.11.04 - 08:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Mi-Go
    Quote:

(unless they sell out to freescale and then were all screwd)

exactly
  • »15.11.04 - 08:36
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    MorphOS is still the property of the MorphOS team and not Genesi's. It would be wise from Genesi to fulfill (or at least to cut down) outstading balances ASAP.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.11.04 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    I can't believe what's happening. AFAIK thousand of euros has been sent to Morphos developpers in 2002 and 2003, less in 2004 but still money has bbeen sent. What is the result ? No updates, a crappy browers. Gerber is claiming 26500 euros, he got paid already at least the double. Does his broswer worth 100 KE ???
    Does morphos runs pegasos sales ? No !
    Can Morphos canbe sold as it is ? No !
    Is there a future for Morphos ? Well, the way they act, i'm not so sure. No news no support, only complains !
    It is sad that people can't understand market laws. There is nno market for Mos today, it need to be created and the current situation doesn't help!
  • »15.11.04 - 09:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    >Do not forget that MorphOS is portable and we may see MOS 1.5 running on other machines if Genesi continues without paying...

Do you want to hint at the Amiga G5 board project?
    :-)
  • »15.11.04 - 10:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Chain-Q
    Thanks to everyone involved in this issue. You really made my day (again)... Doesn't count much, since i'm just a small fish in a the sea, but just to note, I'm stopping all my support for Pegasos and all development activities on Pegasos/MorphOS until this situation clears. Since i got my machine as a free developer machine from Genesi, i'm aware of the consequences, and i'll send my machine back on request.

A sad developer/supporter...
    [.PegasosII/G4.:.Efika.:.Amiga2000/060.]
    [.Free Pascal Compiler MorphOS Port.]
    [.Hosting AmigaSpirit.hu.]
  • »15.11.04 - 10:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    tarbos
    Tapero, I don't think your comment is exactly helpful either.
    If the teams under the Genesi umbrella alienate each other, there won't be any happy ending.

MorphOS ran first Pegasos sales and it IS sold with each machine. Mr Gerber also did the Ambient desktop.

I am as unsatisfied as you about appearent lack of features/development, but please let's talk with each other and not against...
    Otherwise AmigaOS4 will be the "laughing third person".
  • »15.11.04 - 10:25
    bbrv
    Please keep your machine with our best regards. You have been an excellent contributor and we appreciated your effort very much. Thank you for your support.

That goes for all the rest of you too.

We will continue to support MorphOS as we can, but MorphOS is not our main priority. Keeping the opportunity alive for it is. Can you understand that point? If there are not plenty of Pegasos machines in the market, there is not a market for MorphOS. We have encouraged MorphOS for other platforms and this has always been met by resistance. Targeting Apple computers would have been a good approach. We have been saying this for some time.

Some of the people referenced at the start of this email had agreements with the former company we funded in France. That company was closed. Any valid claims were honored and paid in accordance with French law. It fact, former employees were compensated (and are still) under the French social system. It is very unfortunate that situation did not resolve itself as we intended it to. We lost alot of money, time and effort there. We hope you won't forget everything we did do in that period.

In the sad aftermath, we did our best to keep going. We were unable to support personally the kind of effort we had made before. We have done our best. We continued to be and are the sole financial investor in bplan/Genesi. While many people have invested their time loyally it still takes money and sales establish a company. We have provided both. For the most part over the last ten months every one still worked diligently together. We spent most of the money we had left building machines. It takes money to build machines and it takes money to keep a company going. We still managed to pay a small staff. The realities of business are harsh.

The last big orders we delivered in August and September STILL have not been paid for as of 15 November. This is also a normal corporate procedure -- welcome to the real world. Pegasos sales alone are not enough to sustain the effort. We set priorities. The people below fell below our threshold to support. We did what we could.

We are developing a new plan now and are actually on the verge of a stable future. One thing is for certain posting these kinds of things online is not the way to the future, as if one person or a group of persons could achieve their selfish goals by hurting the entire development. What happens next will depend on the core MorphOS team and whether we want to work with certain people any more. There are many MorphOS developers that are still working hard and we have seen more uploads of new software in the last three months than we have in two years.

To be honest, we are not sure what we will do. If that causes some of you to abandon your machines, that is too bad. Whatever happens you can be sure we will post all the facts in time and each person with all the information at hand can make their own decision.

We will work with those that we can and particularly those that can see the complete picture and not only the walls of their little rooms. Hurting Genesi hurts MorphOS. This kind of post -- which has NO basis in valid outstanding contractual fact -- is not the way to move ahead. We will do what we can. Of course, we will discuss this with Ralph and Frank.

Best regards,
    Raquel and Bill :-)

[ Edited by bbrv on 2004/11/15 13:08 ]
  • »15.11.04 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Well this is a smack to the face of all companies and individuals committed to MorphOS.
    Sadly I see this as the death of MorphOS. I will be here aslong as it's possible and install Linux for me Peggy when the time is right.
    It's a shame that its us users who suffer once again. :-(
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »15.11.04 - 11:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Hooligan:

Why do you see it as the death of MOS? Sure it is a crisis, but is it unsolveable? I think there is always a solution. Sometimes of course, the solution is not easy and hidden behind a lot af hurdles, but one should *never* give up.
    If you give up, then it's over - as long as you do not give up there is still a chance. Community should stay together. Do not freeze your projects, do not boycott Genesi and do not blame Zapek & al. for their step to the public ( I guess they didn't wanted it, but felt it was not avoidable).
    Let's keep the momentum moving! Do not give up!
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.11.04 - 11:41
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Hey Mikko, this is not the right reaction! Your demo teams JUST got machines! :-)

This all boils down to a community of people that share a vision for what MorphOS could be. That only happens when the whole contributing team shares the same vision and the responsibility to make it happen. We don't think this is the way to work. We have traded may emails with David and he and the others have been paid as much as we could afford to pay them. For example, David was paid $2000 in September.

Where does MorphOS go without MUI? That is the big question. Ambient and Voyager can be replaced. The problem is until it is all in a package and the Pegasos is everywhere (unless the target is an Apple) this market does not financially support the development. We wish we had millions of dollars to make everything perfect, but we do not. Keep in mind that there have been other companies with far more resources that have not made it as far, AND, this story is not over yet. ;-)

R&B
  • »15.11.04 - 11:42
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @Zylesea, BBRV

I didn't mean it's the death for MorphOS now, but in the future. It's pretty obvious it can't survive without updates yet another year.
  • »15.11.04 - 11:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    @hooligan: yea, users suffer once again. but i think it's genesi's fault.
    because of lies, lack of communication. seeing their avatar make me smile..
    i felt it would become like this 9 months ago,
    i sold my pegasos at once.
    maybe morphos dev team should find serious partners?
    and become a bit more serious themselves and start speaking to ppl instead
    of doing their "rainman developper alone in their corner, ignoring the rest of the world ;)

@tapero: indeed crappy browser doesn't deserve much money,
    and morphos isn't ready too, i agree with most of your post.
  • »15.11.04 - 11:51
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    @Zylesea

Quote:

If you give up, then it's over - as long as you do not give up there is still a chance. Community should stay together.

I haven't given up. I'll be here as long as I possibly can.

Quote:

Do not freeze your projects, do not boycott Genesi and do not blame Zapek & al. for their step to the public ( I guess they didn't wanted it, but felt it was not avoidable).

I have no reason to boycott Genesi, quite the opposite really. And I don't blame Zapek either. Frankly, it's their problem to solve, not mine. Still, I say this wasn't the best way to bring the issue up.
  • »15.11.04 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    merko
    bbrv wrote:
    > We have encouraged MorphOS for other platforms and this has always
    > been met by resistance.

Somehow I doubt you're aware of the relation of the effort needed
    to perform a port to additional hardware, vs the effort required to
    announce it.

Anyway, as I told you a year ago, I don't think your problem lies so
    much in your ability to fulfil your promises, which can be
    understandable, as in your inability to be straight about bad news.

You are talking a lot about a "team", about "loyalty" and about
    "working together". However, that is not possible without trust, and
    trust is something you have definitely not earned in this rough ride.
    Had I followed your advice from a year ago, I would have been evicted,
    homeless and dead broke. Fortunately, I didn't trust you and I took other
    measures. I don't doubt others learned similar lessons about what it
    means trying to "work together" with you "loyally".

Nevertheless, I'm hopeful about the future of MorphOS, but I do know
    from personal experience that cooperation with Genesi can be a very
    frustrating thing to attempt.
  • »15.11.04 - 11:56
    Stevo
    @Zylesea

Indeed
    ---
    http://www.iki.fi/sintonen/logs/its_only_football.txt
  • »15.11.04 - 12:01
    Spidey
    I've been gone for a while, way too busy with work, and was curious what's going on in MorphOS-land.

This, ofcourse, is not the cheeriest news to read!

@bbrv:
    I hope the new plan will produce a more stable basis for the future!

Good luck!

Spidey
  • »15.11.04 - 12:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Frostwork
    Hi, all!
    In my opinion it's a sad thing, that the whole world
    has gone so far, to only make things for others
    when being paid... Of course people have to survive
    and earn money (I'd love if money doesn' exist, but that's
    an utopia...), but probably the mos-members do have an
    other fulltime job where they earn their money....
    So the only thing, they achieve with such a step is
    to harm the friendly and rebelish (I hope you know what I
    mean with this...) community...
    Just my thoughts about things like that...

genesi, I wish you all the best!!!!
    (I think there are enough people on the world left, who
    don't want to be like everyone ;) )
    cheers,
    frostwork
  • »15.11.04 - 12:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MorphDelf
    I care about MorphOS. I write about it. I want it alive. Genesi and MorphOS Team should be a lot more open to its community. *This is all wrong*

We have the same frustration thingy now, which AmigaOS4 fans had before OS4 was out. I never thought of beeing in that club again :)

Well, I am in the positive mood. So.. I feel that this will be fixed, but Genesi and MorphOS Team should become friends :) and stop this fighting.

Regards,
    Michal, www.amitopia.tk
  • »15.11.04 - 12:23
    Profile Visit Website