G5 small form factor possible. Imac -> Peg3?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Check out www.apple.com/imac/ and see the small case of a 1.6 GHz G5 processor for like $1300 with LCD screen
    (substract 300 for that screen and some for the peripherals, and Apple is more expensive than genesi as well and hmmm interesting price point for a G5 Peg!). I wonder when a Peg3 with 1.6 GHz G5 will come out, we know it is possible now and such a small form will not mean fatal cooling issues or extreme prices since it's not clocked so high. Still there is a problem now, shortages for G5 will likely rise since the imac eats the supplies. Drawback is the imac can't be upgraded... but a peg can! *hoping for a G5 Peg3 soon!*

[ Edited by azalin on 2004/8/31 14:05 ]
  • »31.08.04 - 13:03
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DethKnight
    thanx for the heads-up , you may have just sold me an iMac

esp since it uses the same grafix chip I have now and comes with widescreen
    I am ; therefore you are
  • »31.08.04 - 14:23
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Pfft lol! Just wanted to point out that a G5 Peggy should be very possible even in small form factor and for a low price.
  • »31.08.04 - 14:36
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    I'm hoping for increased clock rates first and MorphOS 1.5. Apple sells laptops with 1.5GHz G4s. And MorphOS Amigans need proper TCP/IP stack. :-(
    - Ronald
  • »31.08.04 - 14:59
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Yep, Ronald I am with you here.
    For sure a g5 is nice, but the sw side has to improve first. No real need for a G5 now, a higher 7447A will do the job pretty fine and needs no redesign of the Peg. Also remember that the 7447A is produced by Freescale which are somehow partnered to genesi now while the G5 is made by IBM who are not that familiar with Genesi.
    Also do not forget that the G5 is not a mysterious wonder chip, but "only" a fast 64 Bit PPC. The G4 is not bad compared to the g5. There are higher priorities than a G5 Peg currently, in the long haul of course the G5 would be nice (also is the Freescale e700 but that one is vapour currently while the IBM G5 is not)
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »31.08.04 - 15:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    while the e700 is currently in planning and e600 is not it is in development and will be released reletivly soon...and it reaches clock speeds of at least 2GHz...i still this that is the best choice.....and there would not need ot be any redesign of the peg...
    "Poundsmack, official morphzone thread creator" -LorD
    "Wanna be lord of the avatars." -JKD
  • »31.08.04 - 17:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    If I had $1300 to $1900 (plus tax)...I'd have placed my order already, these things are sweet (ah!) :-D

The only reason I mention the 20" model is the lack of vertical screen real estate on the 17" (900 pixels only..I have 854 on my 15" Ti Powerbook....)

Apart from the memory, ya don't need to upgrade!

MorphOS on MAC...mmmm, duuude!

Steve

Heh, selling my Peg2 for a G5 iMac...it could happen I guess, given the progress on Morphos :-?

Either that or sell off my G4 Cube..but I'm thinking a 17" iMac would be a nice addition to my Mac family :D

[ Edited by JKD on 2004/8/31 14:40 ]
  • »31.08.04 - 17:40
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    MOS on mac would be way cool....but that would be the death of the pegasos...
  • »31.08.04 - 18:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Quote:

poundsmack wrote:

Not really. A pegasos can be much cheaper and is more flexible (aka can be used to fill the needs that Apple PCs don't target.)

Is MOS available for CSPPC and BlizzardPPC?
    - Ronald
  • »31.08.04 - 22:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Hmmmm... Looks awsome! Could this be the start of a G5 Powerbook? It wouldnt be to hard to go that route from this design.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »31.08.04 - 22:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    "....but that would be the death of the pegasos..."

Correct, I guess that's why I always envisioned it as a pipe dream, or maybe a project that made it no further than Ralph's machine...unless it could become a significant revenue stream in it's own right!

Steve
  • »31.08.04 - 22:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    poundsmack
    yes for sure it would be the end of the peg...sure the pegis cheeper....but look at the price of the new iMac with the monitor built in it is a wayy better deal equily equiped than a peg.....
  • »01.09.04 - 01:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    mikrucio
    yeah man those G5's are fukn SWEET!
    im getting one. for sure
    1 month till release in australia.
  • »01.09.04 - 03:27
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    posure
    i'm not a mac fan, but i do like their design work (regardless of the ability to upgrade)..thats badass
    psr.
    alkjfdjkahsSTRESSED OUTasjhfakdfa
  • »01.09.04 - 10:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    It seems a lot of people are haveing a lot of mixed feelings over them. If you read the iMac section over at Apple's web site its about a 50-50 split on liking and not liking it. I myself love it.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »01.09.04 - 10:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ poundsmack

Quote:

That statement is too generalizing.

If MorphOS ran on an iBook/PowerBook, that wouldn't hurt Pegasos sales at all. In fact, existing Pegasos users might be tempted to buy an additional PPC laptop and order a copy of "MorphOS For Mac" which would generate additional revenue for the MorphOS team without hurting Pegasos sales in any way.

Moreover, Linux has a lot more potential as far as Pegasos sales are concerned. If MorphOS ran on iMacs (which it won't because it has no drivers for NVIDIA graphics chips), it wouldn't hurt Pegasos sales as much as you probably think it would.
  • »01.09.04 - 13:23
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    bbrv
    JoBBo is 100% correct.

MorphOS needs to work on Apple computers to push the OS out into the market (unfortunately, by design Apple makes this very difficult). In the meanwhile, Linux is providing an opportunity for the PowerPC and the Pegasos to get out into the market -- we hope like THIS while MorphOS gets to ride that wave we are trying to catch.

R&B :-)

[ Edited by bbrv on 2004/9/1 15:47 ]
  • »01.09.04 - 14:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Luckily the iMac intends to attract a quite different audience than the Peg does. It's neat, sure, but the Peg is more compareable to the G4 towers.
    And remeber the G5 is also only "boiling with water", I guess a G4 1.5 ghz will not be that far behind those G5s.

But sure, the design is neat (well, but I wouldn't buy one, but if I would buy a 5th computer (no, I won't currently) then either a G4 laptop to have it slim and mobile or a dual G5 for speed, but not this mixture of both...) and the price is surprisingly affordable for an iMac.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »01.09.04 - 16:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • JKD
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    JKD
    Actually I hadn't thought of it like that...good job I'm not the sales guy :D

Pegasos seems to be a viable alternative to buying a Mac to run linux, at least as a supported open platform.

Great point JoBBo!
  • »01.09.04 - 18:36