• Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Spidey
    Hello everybody,

What I've got running so far are:

IBrowse 2.3 (reg)
    Works good, no problems at all

MiamiDX
    Unfortunately not registered, but works fine.

DirOpus 4.16
    Also good. Works with the SFS partitions.
    Check the def_drawer in ENV/sys though. These are all of the PNG format (I think) and DirOpus doesn't like this. Copy just a NewIcon as def_drawer :-)

PhotoGenics5
    Just copy the whole dir from the cd on a partition and select workbench as display.
    It is a bit slow to be honest, perhaps the emulation?

MakeCD 3.2D
    Is good. I am waiting until I can buy it, is the unregistered version now.

Bochs
    Downloaded Bochs from the ftp site, but I can't get the CDROM going :-(
    I tried FreeDOS. This works, but formatting a large file (512 MB) and then installing Win95 gives errors. It says something like: "volume is compressed".
    I guess this has to do with FreeDOS is FAT16 and Win95 requires FAT32 :-?

SimCity2000
    Will not work because it cannot initialise music device or so.

Bye,

Spidey
  • »25.02.03 - 15:20
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    GoldEd-AIX

You may want to install an old Arexx to make it fully working.

Syntax-highlightning is real fast, even without JIT (+1Ghz-setting).
  • »25.02.03 - 15:46
  • Targhan
    1. Apparantly there is a bug in the reply php script here...

2. I have and absolutely love GoldED Studio6, and want AIX. However,
    I felt that I had to register IBrowse.

I wonder if Bill Buck and Genesi would be willing to talk with Dietmer
    about helping to distribute GoldED? Prior to AIX, I would buy GoldED
    from a retailer when I needed to upgrade. Yet, the current system is
    something I don't want to fool with (international money orders).
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »26.02.03 - 03:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    Quote:

Prior to AIX, I would buy GoldED from a retailer when I needed to upgrade. Yet, the current system is something I don't want to fool with (international money orders).

Retailers are nice for users, but they also take 50%-70% income away from the author.
  • »26.02.03 - 14:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    Hello everybody,

I saw this page with a list of stuff working with MorphOS. It seems pretty uptodate.

Spidey
  • »27.02.03 - 12:09
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Does CED work 100%, preferably faster than on real Amiga? One the must-apps, definetely.
    www.mikseri.net/hooligan <- Free music
  • »27.02.03 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    CED, what's that? :-P This site only recognizes GoldED!!!! :lol:

One editor to bind them, one editor to rule them.... :lol:

Well, I haven't tried CED, but I'll ask around to see if anyone has.

• »27.02.03 - 18:54
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    :-) now now ... ced is the king of editors. golded doesnt come even close heh
  • »27.02.03 - 19:53
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    Quote:

Does CED work 100%, preferably faster than on real Amiga? One the must-apps, definetely.

I tried CED during the Amiga retro meeting in Aachen late last year (CED appears to be included with Morphos as native software or at least it was installed on the demo machines), and it worked perfectly as far as I could tell in ten minutes.

Regarding speed, there is a trivial limit to how fast editors and some other programs can get: the repeat rate of your keyboard. If the software renders faster than keyboard/mouse send signals, the user will be the main limiting factor (functions like search & replace excluded). CED probably reaches that performance level well below a Pegasos. I didn't notice a performance difference relative to my own non-Pegasos hardware.
  • »27.02.03 - 20:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    Hi,

AmigaAmp 2.9 just works flawlessy on Ambient :-D

As some know, the Amplifier delivered with MorphOS doen't work for some. And to play mp3 through MakeCD 3.2 is nice to do once but not the whole time!

Oh, and ofcourse the new Diropus 4.17 Pre14 is good too.

Spidey
  • »28.02.03 - 07:00
    Profile Visit Website
    bbrv
    Hi Dietmar, glad to see you here. You are a talented developer. What is the future of GoldED Studio and how can we assist you in evolving it successfully on the Pegasos?

Thanks for stopping by! :-D

Sincerely,

Raquel and Bill :-)

P.S. Thanks to you too Spiderman!
  • »28.02.03 - 09:07
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    Quote:

What is the future of GoldED Studio

Officially, development has ended and AIX is the final version. Servicepacks are however still released every now and then. Things planned for future servicepacks, time permitting, are various improvements to the C/C++ mode, specifically CVS support, and a LaTeX2e mode.

Quote:

how can we assist you in evolving it successfully on the Pegasos?

Thanks for offering assistance. Morphos is not specifically targeted, my development computer is a PC and GoldED is for AmigaOS3. I just hope that it runs correctly under Morphos, too.
  • »28.02.03 - 15:48
    Profile Visit Website
    Spidey
    Hello,

I've played with the printer and tried WordWorth and Final Writer (demo coverdisk versions).

They only work on 8 bit screendepths.
    WordWorth prints in negative (white on black background).
    Final Writer was good with printing.

I also tried (demo) TurboPrint. This seems to work except that GraphicPublisher doesn't starts a new screen, so it doesn't work.

Spidey
  • »01.03.03 - 22:00
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @bbrv

A free board and loads (or lots ?) of $$$$$ would surely help (hint, nudge, finger-point) ;-)

Seriously:
    Just like I wrote you a few months ago, investing money
    in GoldED/Dietmar would make 100 times more sense than wasting
    it on a port of Intent to MOS :-D
  • »01.03.03 - 22:06
    bbrv
    Hi Kronos, how about you speak to Dietmar and help us figure out how to make it happen...;-)

Dietmar? :-D

Raquel and Bill :-)
  • »02.03.03 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @bbrv

I was refering to one of Dietmars statements on ann.lu where he
    wrote that a MOS (or OS4) version would only happen if someone
    gives him the HW for free, and pays his work on such a port.

Sending a board and some odd parts shouldn't be a problem, but
    I have no way of knowing how much work the port would be and
    how much EURO is Dietmars pay-per-hour :-o
  • »02.03.03 - 11:53
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    I don't see why GoldED needs to be ported. I'm using UAE and it runs faster under the emulator than many native Windows editors, courtesy of AmigaOS. I'd be very surprised if a Pegasos would have trouble running it quickly, considering that a PPC appears to be better suited to emulate an m68k than a x86 (same byte order).

The problem with porting GoldED is sheer size: the editor itself is 2.94 MB source code. On top of that, add 20-30 libraries: boopsi gadget toolkit, spell checking, thesaurus, BASIC interpreter, all syntax parsers, all plug-ins. Total size of the GoldED C source is 6.79 MB, mostly for SAS/C. That's more than a Bible or two ;) Porting libraries to a different compiler/cpu/os is painful and takes time.

Quote:

I have no way of knowing how much work the port would be

Neither have I, not even ballpark. It just doesn't sound like a walk in the park.
  • »02.03.03 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Dietmar

Eh yes GoldED runs pretty fast on the G3 even with the
    68k-emu being non-JIT. It is just that Genesi have been
    out on a licencing rampage for a while now, so I pointed them
    in a worthwihle direction .......
  • »02.03.03 - 15:41
  • Just looking around
    IOSPIRIT
    Hi Dietmar,

nice to see you here :-)

Quote:

I don't see why GoldED needs to be ported. I'm using UAE and it runs faster under the emulator than many native Windows editors, courtesy of AmigaOS. I'd be very surprised if a Pegasos would have trouble running it quickly, considering that a PPC appears to be better suited to emulate an m68k than a x86 (same byte order).

I agree with you here. Especially if your code has SAS/C dependencies, to modify it to compile with e.g. a flavour of gcc, is not very tempting when compared to the result - possibly a speed increase of a few "felt" percent - of a lengthy adaption. :-)

However, what you could do is adapt GoldED to some API-advancements of MorphOS. This is no problem even from within 68K-code, it's just as if new functions and/or tags respectively had been added to the old 68K-library. For starters, an adaption to the skinning functions of MOS Intuition would be a welcome extra (this mostly affects how you handle borders and titlebars and sliders in them).

Furthermore, if there are more CPU-intense tasks to do which would profit from a PPC-native version, you could take an approach that is similiar to mine on MorphOS: encapsulate the CPU-intensive routines in seperate source files or make sure "superfluous" routines are defined out, adapt this code to work with e.g. gcc and/or vbcc, put it in a seperate binary (server), launch it at startup and then communicate between the main application and the server via Exec messages (which contain IDs for functions, function parameters, etc).
    --
    Felix Schwarz
  • »04.03.03 - 19:08
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Dietmar
    Hi Felix,

Quote:

to modify it to compile with e.g. a flavour of gcc, is not very tempting when compared to the result

Never used anything but SAS/C and Dice, so if and how many SAS dependencies are in the code is an open question to me (ingorance is bliss). What's your experience ? Is gcc 2.95.3 as frustrating as rumour says ? Is the code generator and optimizer sufficiently bug-free, and how long did it take you to tweak SAS/C code so that gcc is happy with it ?

Quote:

However, what you could do is adapt GoldED to some API-advancements of MorphOS.

Well, I don't use a Pegasos and don't want to get into blind flights. If it runs, that's good enough for me. It doesn't have to look good.
  • »04.03.03 - 20:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Ok, since you guys are around, I just thought I would remind you both to make sure your web-sites are listed in the weblinks. ;-)

• »04.03.03 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    IOSPIRIT
    Quote:

Never used anything but SAS/C and Dice, so if and how many SAS dependencies are in the code is an open question to me (ingorance is bliss). What's your experience ? Is gcc 2.95.3 as frustrating as rumour says ? Is the code generator and optimizer sufficiently bug-free, and how long did it take you to tweak SAS/C code so that gcc is happy with it ?

I never used gcc on AMIGA or MOS to be honest. I started learning C with Maxon C++ (maybe the buggiest compiler ever :), then switched over to SAS/C, used SAS/C PPC for PowerUP binaries for a while but finally switched to the combination SAS/C for 68K + vbcc for PPC (PowerUP/WarpUP/MorphOS). vbcc is easy to install, has good math libs and has updated to the latest MOS API only little time ago. Right now I'm not aware of any bugs in it and the only "drawbacks" are that it requires "clean" code (e.g. a lot of casting) and is limited to ANSI-C. All I had to change to make my code run under vbcc is adding quite a few castings ;-)

Thanks to the excellent work of Frank Wille, his continued commitment to the vbcc development and his kind support if you need help, there are also lots of tools included that allow to compile virtually any project.

Regarding the reliability and bug-freeness of the optimizers, I can only say as much that I don't use any optimization options: they steel your time if you are developing the app and testing stuff and steeling it again when seeking for obscure errors caused by optimization. This said, I had bad experiences with the optimization of SAS/C and gcc under Linux. I never tried optimization options in vbcc, though.

Quote:

Well, I don't use a Pegasos and don't want to get into blind flights. If it runs, that's good enough for me. It doesn't have to look good.

I can understand your argumentation. However, adding a few lines of code to make GoldED look better, if MorphOS is detected (e.g. via FindResident("MorphOS")) should not harm anybody, but will make GoldED look a lot better under MOS. It will of course still work under MOS without any changes, but some skins won't be able to unfold their full beauty in that case.

Also, having GoldED in a too-be-compiled MOS developer package would be a good thing. But let's discuss this particular topic via email if the time has come :-)

Regards, Felix
    --
    Felix Schwarz
  • »05.03.03 - 10:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    Hi all

One more to add to the list - RCftpd (Robin C's ftp server program) apparently works 100% fine on MOS and Pegasos.

So there's no reason not to let everyone see whats on your Hard drive!!! ;-)

TTFN
    Bifford.
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »12.03.03 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    I always see that Photogenics 5 works under MOs, but it is not totally true... in fact it is a little bugguy and I had to finish a gfx I presented for the Equinoxe party using TVpaint...
    N'cha, LorD
    http://www.lordfpx.com/
  • »06.04.03 - 00:52
    Profile Visit Website
    hooligan
    Tried FinalWriter 5.05 .. after toying it with 15 minutes I am safe to say it works like a dream. I'll try WordWorth later.
  • »15.05.03 - 19:04
    Profile Visit Website