Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Design wise that is...
    pixie - writing from a paradise called Portugal
  • »11.08.04 - 17:41
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    warface
    There is a Genesi "Best of Web" award for the best sites. Check them out :-)
  • »11.08.04 - 17:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    Still prefer the Suisse though ;-)
  • »11.08.04 - 17:57
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    Quote:

pixie wrote:
    QuebecConcept

Was this site ever online once? :-?

Quote:
    The best online store I have ever seen. No fuss, clearly done, no multiple pages to wade through, straight to the Pegs. :-D
    - Ronald
  • »11.08.04 - 23:24
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    Ronald wrote:
    Quote:

pixie wrote:
    QuebecConcept

Was this site ever online once?

Actually, yes it already has been up, but running well? not really. When we started business with Genesi, at first everything went fine.

First, we bought a Pegasos I G3, it was -I think- on December 4th 2003 and received it some time after. Played a lot with it to make it work, as at that time there were no compatible RAM list, almost no docs on how to get your partitions correctly set up and (as this is a non-April board) it was almost crashing each 30 minutes with the first MOS release we got.

Nevertheless, we were really excited to develope a web site especially for the pegasos & morphos stuff. We even had contacts for certain really interesting business oportunities. Then we moved to Montreal (a year ago) and had even more contacts, even a local Digital TV provider who would have potentially invested in getting new STBs (could have bought 40000 STBs in 1 shot).

We still had hopes. I did chat a lot with some real nice people employed by Genesi or at least working hard for the platform (henes, Fab, tokai, Targhan, etc etc). We were told some nice and (more and more) some not so nice things we don't want to get into, but disappointed us a lot.

We sent emails to Genesi (especially to BBRV and Thierry) about those opportunities and ideas, but it seemed they either had a lot more important emails, or they thought we just wanted to look interesting to them, but then they probably saw we couldn't afford much or simply didn't want to invest time in a small young company starting in Quebec city (Canada is not much a big market for Pegasos) and then emails we sent afterwards were never answered back. Some people seemed interested to see the QuebeConcept web site back, I was reading some comments here and there about our site not being accessible anymore, but as we were waiting for answers on some issues, suggestions, ideas, etc, we couldn't tell exactly what was going to happen.

Why would they keep being quiet? Why not just say "Hey, we're not interested in doing business with you" or any response to let us know what happens.

The only emails we received (quite) recently were the reseller agreements, but then it was kinda late as, unfortunately, we were not motivated anymore to do business with them, without much more time to waste on getting real communication from them, and we would certainly not continue investing time and money into the web site (thanks to Nowee who did a marvellous job by creating its graphic interface).

We don't know why they keep our site in their list.

Anyway, we don't expect doing business with Genesi in a near future, but then we'll see. Working on other projects now related to efficient business-wide networking solutions, we may need *LOW-COST*/low-power (PPC) boards, like the Pegasos ... and also the need to get real feedback.

That's a shame that, *MAYBE* because of our little experience and investment potential in business, we were put away, but then I don't think I was the only one.

Fred
    [QuebeConcept]
  • »12.08.04 - 23:48
    Profile Visit Website
    greenboy
    Hey ChatDEau,

Some of your problems may have come from having an unreliable email address at times. I was seeing a lot of bounces from it (them? - I'd have to dig back into archives to recall) on the PhReseller list. May have even taken it off after a week or two of them as I often do when bounces go into the many dozens.

Not saying this is/was the only issue perhaps; but it was one that I was all too aware of. Others who wish to be seriously involved in anything that requires a lot of communication, should make sure they keep open consistent channels available. Sometimes ISPs or ones' own server configs can really screw ya over without it being obvious until a later date. And that's a drag.
  • »13.08.04 - 02:10
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    ChatDEau
    @greenboy

The emails we're talking about were those that were sent directly to the above mentionned persons.

We never had problems with any email addresses and neither have been told of any issues (from the person we sent emails to or from ISPs).

I even sent emails from numerous email account with different providers, so this theory of unreliable email addresses can't be.

But if you talk about Phoenix, it is possible that there were email related problems there.

Fred
    [QuebeConcept]

[ Edited by ChatDEau on 2004/8/12 21:32 ]
  • »13.08.04 - 02:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Aaron
    I bought my Peg1 from Pegasos UK. They are good people there.

When I wanted to by a Peg2 G4, I started to talk to Ultraspec.us.
    That is a superb store. All my emails were answered VERY quickly
    (usually in a few minutes). I don't have a credit card (I don't
    believe in them), so they were very helpful with payment arrangements.
    Ultraspec WANTS to sell computers.

--Aaron
    --Aaron Diezman
  • »13.08.04 - 03:18
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    DSLCC
    I also bought my Peg1 from Pegasos UK and was very please with the service. :) The service was great, they responded quickly to emails, and very quickly replaced a defective board. :)

David
    Pegasos 1 G3 MorphOS 1.4.5* Mac G4 Sawtooth 1Ghz Tiger 10.4.1* Both Rock! :-D
  • »13.08.04 - 13:34
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Ronald
    @ChatDEau

I understand completely. (cé platte ça.)

:-(
    - Ronald
  • »13.08.04 - 14:24
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I still think I like PegasosPPC.com just because its the "home" site that links to all the others. Genesi has some good information on it, it looks real professional, and its not hard to navigate.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »13.08.04 - 19:05
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    pixie
    by Acill on 2004/8/13 18:05:55
    Quote:

I still think I like PegasosPPC.com just because its the "home" site that links to all the others. Genesi has some good information on it, it looks real professional, and its not hard to navigate.

I was talking about the afiliates ones... and as for cloning the main site funcionality and aspect, as good as the main site might be, doesn't quite rock my world either, seen that, been there... I do like the main site don't get me wrong, by this very same reason I also like those affiliated ones who share with it its design...

Besides I bet all that had to be said about PegasosPPC has already been said over and over...

I find the swiss very appealing, when I show my friends something about pegasos I either take them to the Swiss or to GenesiPPC, Swiss one for showing how the machine could look (case and such), PegasosPPC for better explanation of the technology.

But still the question remains, after all should all of them mantain the identity with PegasosPPC site or, should they be allowed to have it's own identity... It's shown that it could be done well, but wouldn't it be better to share a commun design, a commun ground!?
  • »14.08.04 - 14:51